• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accrington v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Full time. Get in there! Credit to Mickey for changing the side and another away in in the bag!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good win. Mark Ellis, goal machine! Other results down the bottom were a mixed bag, but still capable of getting out of this.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
First back-to-back league wins of the season and both away too. Great job.
It’s still in our hands to catch both Dons, but we’ll need to beat one of them and win our games in hand. Let’s keep going !!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a crazy league. How did strugglers Rochdale beat second placed Rotherham? But then, how did we win at league leaders Coventry and draw at Rotherham? Take nothing for granted. It’s all to play for.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A fantastic performance from Rovers, probably the best of the season in terms of organisation, professionalism and spirit.

We actually started the game slowly and were a bit sloppy for the first five minutes, with Accrington passing it well and their wide players causing us problems. The first goal came against the run of play and resulted from an excellent cross from Morris and a good header from Vaughan, which their keeper nonetheless should have saved.

The goal settled us down, and from that moment on I thought we completely controlled the game. We did not create a hatful of chances but some of the football was excellent, with both Morris and CBT looking dangerous, and we got into dangerous areas on a number of occasions. Defensively we were superb, with both centre halves rock solid, the full backs playing well and Woodyard and McCullough providing great protection as ever.

Credit has to be given to Mellon for the starting line up. I am still not completely convinced by Connor, but having an extra body in midfield completely smothered Accrington and did not allow them to play the fluid football which the opening minutes showed they are capable of.

Every player contributed, but there were some excellent individual displays. I lost count of the number of times Clarke and Ellis won vital blocks and interceptions, or shepherded Accrington players out of dangerous areas, and it was great seeing them combine for the second goal. Wilson and Morris were very tidy on the ball and inventive, again benefitting from a better playing surface. CBT was great going forward and defensively and got a deserved ovation from the SWA when he went off, which will have done his confidence no harm. Woodyard covered an unbelievable amount of ground. The substitutes also made a difference when they came on, and it is good that we can use the experience of Danns and Perkins to close out games, rather than flogging them for ninety minutes.

However, my man of the match was James Vaughan. He scored the vital opening goal and I thought he was excellent as a lone striker, protecting the ball and linking the play even when he was surrounded by two or three defenders and had no right to retain possession.

Rochdale and Wimbledon have not had any major slip ups since our win at Shrewsbury, but points will be dropped in the weeks ahead, and if we can repeat today's performance in the remaining games we have a good chance of survival.

Player
Manager
John King
lets just enjoy are home form is shocking we now need to turn it around . we can do this
In fairness, we have barely played any home games since the new arrivals gelled and the injured players returned. Plus, the pitch obviously causes problems for CBT and Morris, hopefully less so in future if confidence continues to build.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s difficult to assess the full picture from a few highlights and match reports. Both of our goals were well worked today, but Accrington seems to have a few chance which on another day might have found the back of the net. Good to hear than Vaughan is settling in, don’t think he got off to the best of starts but took his goal at Wycombe well and MoM today. I do hope MM isn’t going to take this line-up as the blue-print for the rest of the season though, given Cookie’s involvement in the first two goals at Shrewsbury.

Player
Manager
John King
It’s difficult to assess the full picture from a few highlights and match reports. Both of our goals were well worked today, but Accrington seems to have a few chance which on another day might have found the back of the net. Good to hear than Vaughan is settling in, don’t think he got off to the best of starts but took his goal at Wycombe well and MoM today. I do hope MM isn’t going to take this line-up as the blue-print for the rest of the season though, given Cookie’s involvement in the first two goals at Shrewsbury.
Accrington had relatively few chances. I don't think Davies had a proper save to make all game, and Clarke and Ellis were superb in front of him.

As Mellon has just changed a winning team to take on a different challenge, I don't think it is logical to assume today's team will play every game from now until the end of the season. However, there is no doubt Mellon's tactics and substitutions were spot on this afternoon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
MM quite often sticks with a winning formation and it was a bit surprising to see it changed today, but it worked. I don’t want to see Cook frozen out of the picture, especially given his decent showing at Shrewsbury. We’ll see what happens next.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think many will complain if we win the next eleven games ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great performance from the lads. What I liked most was the spirit. They all played a part and all wanted to win. Ellis' return from injury has certainly shored up the defence with Clarke also playing very well beside him. They seem to gel well together and are the type of no-nonsense defenders we need right now. Add to this the performances of Woodyard and McCullough who do a fine job in midfield and provide protection when we need it. Finally the goals are going in, confidence is up and more performances like this and against Shrewsbury will ensure we end the season fighting. It was nice to see Vaughan showing his skills off today. It's not been easy for him and Cook to make their mark but the team now looks solid for the first time in months.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have to agree with most of the comments on here. This was a proper professional performance - only 36% possession and AS were quicker around the pitch but since Ellis has come back we are so much stronger at the back and if anything he was the better of the CB's today as Clarke missed two crosses. Davies looked much more solid especially considering the boggy area just in front of him which for sure helped with our first goal although he was 100% beaten by the cross/ cum shot which when I looked on the replay was closer than I had thought. Wilson did well again and Rides stuck to his task after a nightmare 5 first minutes when they should have scored. Credit also to CBT who although he still doesn't fancy jumping for any header has finally knuckled down and is tracking back and harrying. Great to see.
Vaughan as others said led the line superbly and whilst Jennings still seems off the pace of L1 he does nevertheless see a pass. Surprised by MM's selections but credit where credit is due it worked and he also made excellent substitutions when AS were starting to exert a bit of pressure. All in all a proper performance and the first back to back away wins in a long time and for the first time in along time the lads seem to be playing without fear and wanting the ball. I thought we had no hope of staying up 3 games ago - but although the odds are still against us there is a glimmer of light. Finally, great to see Ferrier was the first person onto the pitch at the end to congratulate the lads - after a poor performance by him and the others at Chester mid week where questions were raised as to their appetite for the fight was a nice ending to a great result....

Player
Manager
John King
Great performance from the lads. What I liked most was the spirit. They all played a part and all wanted to win. Ellis' return from injury has certainly shored up the defence with Clarke also playing very well beside him. They seem to gel well together and are the type of no-nonsense defenders we need right now. Add to this the performances of Woodyard and McCullough who do a fine job in midfield and provide protection when we need it. Finally the goals are going in, confidence is up and more performances like this and against Shrewsbury will ensure we end the season fighting. It was nice to see Vaughan showing his skills off today. It's not been easy for him and Cook to make their mark but the team now looks solid for the first time in months.
I think if we had had Clarke, Woodyard, Cook and Vaughan all season we would have been ok this year. However, those players (and players of similar calibre) were out of our price range last summer. It was only the cup runs and the Santini investment that made those signings possible.

I think most of us also underestimated the impact that Ellis and McCullough would have at this level, as their contribution has been big. Having Wilson fit and playing in his natural position, rather than Caprice, has also helped.

It will be a big test for the squad in the next month as we return to two games per week. That will probably be too much for Ellis and McCullough and some rotation will be necessary. I would not want to see Ellis drop out of the side completely, but perhaps at times we will use Manny as a third centre back, as we did in the closing stages yesterday.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. I think the return of McCullough has had a big impact. He seems comfortable at this level and if he stays fit, an important player for us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes. I think the return of McCullough has had a big impact. He seems comfortable at this level and if he stays fit, an important player for us.
Great to see him repaying all the work done at the club to rehabilitate him after his injury, unlike James Wallace.