• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

4 years ago..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, doesn't time fly when you're having fun!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That brings back the worst memories. The manager and team completely bottled it towards the end. Had we managed to win just two games out of that long run of defeats, we'd have stayed up. You wonder where this club might be now if we had managed to stay up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s really strange as after we beat Accrington 3-0, felt really hopeful that we would stay up. The next home game, we drew with Ronnie Moore’s Hartlepool and it seemed downhill thereafter.

Suppose if you’ve been through the bad times, the good ones seem so much better!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I forgot just how bad we really were!

Player
aldo
that,t what makes this season so much sweeter full houses . great noise a super scorer . and a fantastic team around him . when you see that table and see york city who have dropped even further than we did . and daggers who have major money worries . and the pools have been struggling the last two seasons . we have been blessed with two superb owners . and a great manager

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hartlepool looked dead and buried until Ronnie got to grips with them.
At the time I looked at the drop to the bin with a degree of relief as I felt that there was only one way we could go after that! Little did I know what the bin had in store.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was at the Plymouth game. To be honest, the earlier defeats against Mansfield and Oxford were far more depressing, as we were already dead and buried by the time we travelled to Devon.

Adams destroyed us in the second half of that season. The situation was bad when he arrived, but recoverable. However, his treatment of the players he inherited and recruitment of old pals and has-beens, destroyed any team ethic and ensured relegation. The Matt Jones interview with Ian Hulme released this week is very revealing in that regard.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My worst football day! Unlike RLC I still believed we could survive, which probably made it worse. I saw a lot of grown men cry after that match. Mark and Nicola's walk into the away end was a nice touch and a cracking pint of Tribute in the ground were minor consolations that day.

BBTC, I really believe that we would now be, at the very least, a competitive League 1 team if had we survived. The same excellent stewardship would have been provided without those wasted years. Despite his tweet, Mark must really have wondered what he had invested in that day. It was certainly a very long journey back that evening!

If anything, I think it actually got worse a few months later when we swiftly realised that we weren't going to walk out of the VNL at the first time of asking with a record points tally. I think that there is a real possibility that we would not now have a professional football club if the right (even perfect) owners weren't in situ at the right time.

Who would have thought so much could happen in those 4 years! That relegation and the following years will be worn as a badge of honour as much as any famous past victories. It will also act as a massive warning should the highest standards of management not be maintained in future.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think that there is a real possibility that we would not now have a professional football club if the right (even perfect) owners weren't in situ at the right time.
The club was so rotten and stale, it doesn't bare thinking about where we could have ended up.

Player
aldo
you see the place now . the fan park buzzing . the Kop alive and bouncing . loads of kiddies in the ground . the next gen fans the place is a plesure at the moment . long mey it continue . looking at saturday should be are second 10k plus game of the season ok the other was spurs . when you think the veggies couldn,t even muster 180 fans and 9500 turned up with another poss 10k plus for the home play off game things are moving fast . lets hope the clubs starts making money and not losing it