• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

2018/19 - 10 games in

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On strikers, we need to assess if Mullin is a potential replacement for Norwood, it’s far too early to write him off. Stockton may have been hampered by the hernia. The Italian isn’t an out and out striker, have fairly low expectations given his youth and lack of scoring record, probably this season’s Rokka/Green. Even if Cook were to leave Walsall, don’t think it’s a given he’d return here. So regardless of Nors’ situation, could see us in the market for a striker come January.

On the loan players, Smith is here for the season, though there is a recall option. Bristol City are well off for wingers and he’s getting plenty of game time, so think that unlikely they’ll activate it. The short-term loans are trickier. Gilmour hasn’t had that much game time, doubt he’s ready for Championship starts yet, so his club will have to weigh up if he could be getting more matchtime elsewhere. McCulloch is the one most likely to return to his parent club, his loan was about re-gaining match fitness and many Donny fans were surprised they lent him out.

The risk of being dependent on loans is known to us, through past slumps when key players have returned to their parent clubs. It’s unclear if the current reliance on loans was down to a lack of players of suitable quality to sign on permanent deals or our cash flow issues over the summer. Probably a combination of the two. Not much has been heard in that regard, are the funds from China now flowing freely or are we largely dependent on local revenue? Home crowds have been about 500 down on what I’d expected. If cash issues remain and we’re not promotion contenders then the owners may feel it’s prudent to cash in on Norwood.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Smith was here for six months initially ? If not, it is good news. Gates are exactly what I thought they would be and are currently fifth best in a division with a number of sizeable clubs. If we experience any financial difficulties, lack of gate income won't be the cause of them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Checked and Smith is definitely a season loan, which is good.

While agreeing that gates are not to blame for any financial problems, we’re currently averaging around 600 more than last season, in the upper 5k bracket. We’ve only had one of the big travelling support sides in Port Vale so far, but Crewe is on a Friday and Ifollow may dent numbers for that one. The aspiration was for an average of 6.5k and so far we’re falling short of that.

Player
Manager
John King
Our average gate is actually nearly 900 up on last season, an increase of 17%. That increase far outweighs the larger away followings we have had so far, most of which have been modest. As it stands, we will have our best average for a over a decade, and a number of the intervening seasons were spent in League One.

To expect an average of 6,500 was unrealistic in my view, unless we were right at the top of the league.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've done the sums and we're currently averaging 5,922 compared with last seasons quoted 5,117, so just over 800 up, which is good. The 6,500 figure is the one you mentioned the club/Trust were hoping for in the season tickets thread and it didn't seem that unrealistic at the time.

All-ticket away games have a lot to answer for :mad:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Smith loan is for the whole season but Bristol City do have the option to recall him in January which I doubt they will give that he is getting plenty of playing time

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now 13 games in and an interesting pattern is emerging. Our home goals are 5-2 in seven games while away we are 12-10 in six. So, although we are averaging two goals a game on our travels, we can't even manage a goal a game at PP. But pointswise, those 5 goals have been worth 14 points, while the 12 away have got us just 9! Strange.

Early on, we were worried about relying on Nors to score all the goals. In the first seven games, he scored all bar one. However, in the last six, we have had six different scorers (including an own goal) - and once Jennings and Stockton get off the mark, we should be OK.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s quite bizarre. The game were we didn’t have Norwood we scored four goals.

Player
Manager
John King
It’s quite bizarre. The game were we didn’t have Norwood we scored four goals.
I think the change in formation and the arrival of Gilmour is the reason for this. In the 451 formation the midfield players have more license to get up in support of the striker, hence we have had three midfield scorers in the last week.

Conversely, Norwood has to do more work without the ball in the lone striker role, which I think is the reason he has not had so many chances in the last two games he started. I think Norwood would still actually prefer to play with Stockton for selfish reasons, as Cole does a lot of the donkey work and allows him to get into the eighteen yard box.

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
yes but when norwood first arrived he stated he liked playing the lone roll . cant have it both ways . but it is great that the goals are getting spread out now

Player
Manager
John King
yes but when norwood first arrived he stated he liked playing the lone roll . cant have it both ways . but it is great that the goals are getting spread out now
He was playing at a lower level then and he actually scored more goals in the NL when he was partnered with Cook. He can play the lone striker role but I think he will score more goals as part of a front two.

Player
aldo
Thats true butat least we know he can do it . I wouldhave had 2 up front especially at home . And more so against poorer teams
having said that NORWOOD and connor j both had great chances . And must say think connor needs a goal or a break somtimes he looks nackerd

joe

I think Conor always looks knackered! I've been watching him for ages and he always looks like he's busting a gut!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He didn't look knackered when he made that run and pass to Harvey Gilmour on Friday for the goal. However, I wasn't at the game and only saw the highlights.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be interesting to see the data, but I’d guess Connor covers more of the pitch than many others in the team.

drwhoman

CJ made the winning goal almost out of nothing helped by a confident instant finish from Gilmour. We all know that he created the winning goal at Wembley after coming out of hospital. A true legend.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why all the negativity with Jennings this season ?

Player
Manager
John King
Why all the negativity with Jennings this season ?
I don't understand it either. He has not scored, but then he did not score that many in the division below unless he was played in the number ten role.

The fact that he has been preferred to several natural wingers on the left of midfield (Tollitt, DMH, arguably Cole) emphasises how highly Mellon rates him.