• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

20-21 League Two Prediction

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some things I agree with, others I don't. Salford had one of the strongest squads last season and didn't make the play-offs, Mansfield were another strong squad, but have changed management and are likely to be stronger for it. Notlob have got a completely new squad and it's optimistic to assume everything will fall into place for them straight away. I think the sides who've kept a strong core and manager from last season are best placed; teams like Port Vale, Cheltenham, Exeter and Walsall. It's not an easy league to predict...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair comment on us. We have a strong squad - in quality if not depth, but an untried, inexperienced manager.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I honestly think that this league is so difficult to call for so many reasons. Squads change from year to year so it isn't a given that a club that performed well the previous season will do so again, as it is likely to be a different team / manager.

Whilst I am always optimistic, and on paper we do look to have a decent 11, I also remember this feeling when we started life in non-league, and look how tough that was. League 2 in my eyes isn't much different, and the teams that may do well aren't necessarily the teams that look the strongest on paper (i.e. Cheltenham last season).

Momentum and luck with injuries will play a massive part for all teams, so lets hope that fortune favours us in those areas!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A break from the usual injury nightmare would be most welcome this season! I was surprised in a pleasant way that league two was not a huge step from the NL whereas when we were in division one, the difference from league two was quite noticeable.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the predictions are about right based on squad strength, with the exception of the inclusion of Grimsby as one of the favourites, who seem to have been selected purely because they have a famous manager.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well this doesn't make for good reading, for what it's worth...final table predictions from statistics and analysis website FiveThirtyEight doesn't rate our chances very highly, ranking us mid-table 12th, lets hope they've got that wrong and we finish better placed.

Full Prediction Table:

1. Salford City

2. Bolton Wanderers

3. Oldham Athletic

4. Cheltenham Town

5. Colchester United

6. Exeter City

7. Bradford City

8. Mansfield Town

9. Southend United

10. Crawley Town

11. Leyton Orient

12. Tranmere Rovers

13. Port Vale

14, Barrow

15. Scunthorpe United

16. Grimsby Town

17. Forest Green Rovers

18. Morecambe

19. Walsall

20. Carlisle United

21. Stevenage

22. Newport County

23. Cambridge United

24. Harrogate Town

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The 'Not the Top Twenty' podcast, which is generallly well informed, had us finishing second.

All speculation at this stage.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bolton 2nd is based on doyle repeating last season's scoring achievements which is unlikely.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well this doesn't make for good reading, for what it's worth...final table predictions from statistics and analysis website FiveThirtyEight doesn't rate our chances very highly, ranking us mid-table 12th, lets hope they've got that wrong and we finish better placed.

Full Prediction Table:

1. Salford City

2. Bolton Wanderers

3. Oldham Athletic

4. Cheltenham Town

5. Colchester United

6. Exeter City

7. Bradford City

8. Mansfield Town

9. Southend United

10. Crawley Town

11. Leyton Orient

12. Tranmere Rovers

13. Port Vale

14, Barrow

15. Scunthorpe United

16. Grimsby Town

17. Forest Green Rovers

18. Morecambe

19. Walsall

20. Carlisle United

21. Stevenage

22. Newport County

23. Cambridge United

24. Harrogate Town
This is one of the most left-field predictions I have come across. Looking at their top 3, Salford maybe, but notlob have got a completely new squad of variable quality who almost certainly won't gel straightaway if the pre-season is any guide and Oldham with a fruitcake for a chairman, who interferes in team selection and Harry Kewell as manager would do well to make the top half. Their play-off contenders are more realistic, though wouldn't expect Colchester to get that high, losing some key players and with a rookie manager. At the opposite end of the table, Harrogate looked solid enough last weekend and it would be a surprise if they made an immediate return to non-league.