• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The striker is going to be the toughest role to fill so I dont expect an announcement anytime soon. Not sure what to make of Feeney as the short term memory is kicking in and reminding me how bad he was towards the end. That said, he still had a decent first half of the season so hope MM can get the best out of him.

drwhoman

The striker is going to be the toughest role to fill so I dont expect an announcement anytime soon. Not sure what to make of Feeney as the short term memory is kicking in and reminding me how bad he was towards the end. That said, he still had a decent first half of the season so hope MM can get the best out of him.
Agree Ian.He is 34 so maybe should be physically managed more than he was last season which was a particularly intensive one with Covid reducing its length. I suspect that, as a highly experienced player, he may not have been in love with Hill's style and this did not help his performance, however much he probably tried. As we all know, some players need a bollocking from time to time whereas others need an arm round the shoulder. See how he goes!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the two game per week schedule after Christmas with no rest or rotation, and being played out of position in the centre of midfield were the two major factors in Feeney's slump in the second half of the season. Terrible management by Hill on both counts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, he did look completely burnt out towards the end of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the signings to date are all good players at this level, and the assessment is being coloured by just how badly a number of them underperformed towards the end of last season under Hill. To be honest, I am not sure any signings in League Two will be genuinely inspiring.
Last season Spearing, Vaughan making his move permanent both felt inspiring to most, while Woolery, because of how well he'd played against us seemed to fire some up, myself included, by his signing. You're not expecting anything similar this season?
I’m hoping we get some more energy and youth in there if we can. I think we had the oldest squad in the league last season and gave the fewest minutes to young players. Nothing major needed as we still finished in the play offs don’t forget.

A 20 goal a season striker is a priority. Look how much we missed Vaughan last season and now we need a permanent replacement
Isn't "something major" needed though as it looks like we are not keeping the majority of last season's starting xi? I agree about the need to increase the vitality of the squad, as the comings and goings so far have not reduced the average age of the oldest squad in L2
Perhaps we have to accept that we're not going to be bringing in a 20 goal per season forward and have to look instead to recruiting two who are both capable of reaching double figures?

I accept that it's early days still and some of the better players available will have to weigh up various offers before signing on the dotted line. It will be better to assess our prospects in about 3 weeks time, when hopefully there will be new recruits and some of the existing out of contract players signed up.

Player
Manager
John King
Last season Spearing, Vaughan making his move permanent both felt inspiring to most, while Woolery, because of how well he'd played against us seemed to fire some up, myself included, by his signing. You're not expecting anything similar this season?

Isn't "something major" needed though as it looks like we are not keeping the majority of last season's starting xi? I agree about the need to increase the vitality of the squad, as the comings and goings so far have not reduced the average age of the oldest squad in L2

Perhaps we have to accept that we're not going to be bringing in a 20 goal per season forward and have to look instead to recruiting two who are both capable of reaching double figures?

I accept that it's early days still and some of the better players available will have to weigh up various offers before signing on the dotted line. It will be better to assess our prospects in about 3 weeks time, when hopefully there will be new recruits and some of the existing out of contract players signed up.
Well Spearing is still here, so is that not inspiring ? I think there was a similarly positive reaction to Feeney's arrival last year.

I think we signed a number of good players last summer but by definition most players at this level are not inspirational. The promoted sides last season - and Rovers in 2019 - demonstrated that good players that perform as a team are what is required at this level, rather than individuals who don't.

You said a couple of weeks ago you would happy to retain the core of last season's squad, so has that view changed ? So far we have retained Clarke, Morris and Feeney in addition to the already contracted players.

We already have Spearing and Clarke under contract, and they are as good as any player a League Two club will recruit this summer. The squad is shaping up well.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You said a couple of weeks ago you would happy to retain the core of last season's squad, so has that view changed ? So far we have retained Clarke, Morris and Feeney in addition to the already contracted players.
No, it hasn't changed and you can add Murphy to your list. I wasn't expecting Feeney to sign and wouldn't have been bothered about that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I see Exeter have sold top scorer Ryan bowman to Shrewsbury. Interesting because of what shrews manager Steve cotterill said about strikers being out of contract::

"There is a shortage of free agents up top," said Town boss Steve Cotterill. "We've ended up paying a fee for Ryan but I think it will be money well spent.

Player
Manager
John King
I see Exeter have sold top scorer Ryan bowman to Shrewsbury. Interesting because of what shrews manager Steve cotterill said about strikers being out of contract::

"There is a shortage of free agents up top," said Town boss Steve Cotterill. "We've ended up paying a fee for Ryan but I think it will be money well spent.
Yes, interesting.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to DRN sports management website Jake Burton signed 1 year extension

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

I would agree with his comments, it is going to be very difficult get a good scorer in

drwhoman

I wonder whether with the delay in further signings as to whether MM is now contemplating the loan route? This may be the only way to get a decent striker? I think we also need a right back and a few more players further up the field? This assumes that CBT, Woolery and Khan have either not been offered contracts or are thinking about it. I suspect that any player is looking for a two year contract if one is out there for them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I wonder whether with the delay in further signings as to whether MM is now contemplating the loan route? This may be the only way to get a decent striker? I think we also need a right back and a few more players further up the field? This assumes that CBT, Woolery and Khan have either not been offered contracts or are thinking about it. I suspect that any player is looking for a two year contract if one is out there for them.
I think the delay is that we have offers in for a number of players but they will also have a number of other offers to consider. I expect further signings to be confirmed next week

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
According to DRN sports management website Jake Burton signed 1 year extension
Pleased with that if confirmed. In the little we've seen of Jake, he appears readier for first team action than Charlie Jolley. Though not expecting either to start many games next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suspect Woolery and Khan have been offered contracts, though no idea about duration. If it were down to me would offer them 2 years. Don't know about whether CBT will be offered anything to preserve a chance of compensation. I'd expect us to sign/re-sign another 4 or 5 as well as considering loans

Player
Manager
John King
Pleased with that if confirmed. In the little we've seen of Jake, he appears readier for first team action than Charlie Jolley. Though not expecting either to start many games next season.
Yes, definitely worth giving him another year as he looked the sharpest of the youngsters and won't be on big money.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I suspect Woolery and Khan have been offered contracts, though no idea about duration. If it were down to me would offer them 2 years. Don't know about whether CBT will be offered anything to preserve a chance of compensation. I'd expect us to sign/re-sign another 4 or 5 as well as considering loans
I would expect at least 6 or 7 more signings though that could be more if none of the others resign.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Suggestions elsewhere that there will be at least 2 signings next week (one may be Burton as mentioned above I assume) and one of whom MM managed at Shrewsbury. Rides also supposedly has been offered a new contract but will be going elsewhere unless we improve as he has another offer on much higher money...
Could be a very interesting week next week - let's hope!