• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sky Blues v Rovers (at St Andrews)

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We need to return home with confidence and goal difference still relatively intact and throw the kitchen sink at Southend on Friday.
We'll have some decent footballers on the pitch so let's hope we see enough of the ball to hurt the oppo.
We really are on the bones of our arse injuries wise though. It's one step forward two back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Looks like 442 with Morris and CBT out wide. Very open but we don't have much choice because if the injuries.

Player
Manager
John King
A really solid half and we have defended well. Hope we can sustain it for ninety minutes.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think Payne was showing CBT how to get stuck in there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good hard working performance by the lads so far, but the usual problems persist. Defensively solid so far, but almost no control of the ball in midfield and zero attacking threat.

Was the Mullin sub forced through injury?

Player
Manager
John King
We were always going to lack control in the middle today with only Potter and Gilmour available against a better team. I think we have looked dangerous at times when we have got it wide.

Player
Manager
John King
We rode our luck on more than one occasion but what a fantastic result. Incredible goal from CBT to win it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was a real smash and grab performance but what a wain, the effort and commitment from the whole team was outstanding, Mullin was a hamstring injury though hopefully not too bad.

They said on commentary that we have a mid table budget, not sure where they got that from

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Coventry had something like 70% possession and 17 shots but only one on target. Very poor from them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Much needed and totally unexpected Rovers win. Waiting to hear what my Sky Blues supporting mate at the game made of it all.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well how good was that result - 3 points when I had fully expected nothing - fabulous!!

Yes we got lucky with the woodwork and their misses. Completely outplayed possession wise, skill wise etc. but great team spirit. We have a mass of injuries (and Mullin as well now by the sounds of it) but the gap in class (aside from finishing) was almost embarrassing at times, it was almost like a non league side playing against league opposition in the FA cup. Yes we need to use this springboard to kick on but we must be realistic also that we are miles short of what will be needed to do anything other than stay up in this division....

On the other hand ONLY 8 points off the playoffs :)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well how good was that result - 3 points when I had fully expected nothing - fabulous!!

Yes we got lucky with the woodwork and their misses. Completely outplayed possession wise, skill wise etc. but great team spirit. We have a mass of injuries (and Mullin as well now by the sounds of it) but the gap in class (aside from finishing) was almost embarrassing at times, it was almost like a non league side playing against league opposition in the FA cup. Yes we need to use this springboard to kick on but we must be realistic also that we are miles short of what will be needed to do anything other than stay up in this division....

On the other hand ONLY 8 points off the playoffs :)

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Woo hoo!!!
Watched in Barbers at Woodside.
Tremendous
Rode our luck.....can't wait for Friday.

Player
Manager
John King
A fantastic effort from the players. We were dominated in possession almost from start to finish, as you would expect given our midfield injuries and the gulf in resources between the clubs, although we played some decent stuff in spells and were never embarrassed. However, defensively we were superb and the team spirit was fantastic once again.

In the first half I thought we looked very comfortable apart from the final few minutes, but the second period was a bit of a battering in all honesty. Coventry missed five or six good chances but I thought we deserved that slice of luck because of the spirit we showed in adversity.

I thought it was a game where everybody contributed individually, even if we did not produce sparkling football. The usual suspects - Manny, Potter, Davies - played well, but I was particularly encouraged by some of the other performances around the team. I thought Ray was really solid and had his best game in a Rovers shirt; Gilmour took a while to get into the game but was excellent in the second half, winning challenges and always looking to play forward; Caprice produced some great crosses from the right hand side; and Hepburn-Murphy looked lively when he came on. Strangely enough, CBT was the only player I thought had an up and down game - a couple of good runs early on but then giving the ball away a fair bit - but he showed what a talent he is with the winner.

However, my man of the match was Stefan Payne. He is clearly growing in confidence and won a lot of balls in the air today and put in a massive shift for the team, even during periods of the game when he was really isolated. He played a part in the winning goal as well.

We should have several players available again on Friday, which gives us a great opportunity to put some daylight between ourselves and the bottom three.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
ok sorry its late . who cares we only had 29% of poss who cares we only had 3 shots and 1 on target the one that matters. who cares that we where in the bottom 3 at the start of the day who cares . THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD WE GO EVERY WHERE . you are amazing . now what an amazing result amazing team performance .so happy happy gilmore played and taylor as well to cap it off with a goal super well happy . we realy need to follow it up on friday we need to go on a run now

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A massive result. Especially when you bear in mind that Ellis, Banks, Perkins, Maddox, Gumbs, Miller and Ferrier were all injured plus Danns missing on international duty and Jennings suspended. Most of those would have played today if available. Also, Coventry had not lost at home since March.

But on the positive side, those absences have opened the door for others to have a chance. Ironically, the EFL Trophy game probably earned Gilmour and match-winner CBT their starts. Nothing's all bad. :)