• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green

Rovers v Forest Green
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, April 19, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ellis apparently a dislocated knee so hopefully not as serious as it could have been

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While there were certainly problems in midfield, their player on the left with the man bun was causing a few problems and it was his run and cut back which led to the Forest Green goal, a decent finish out of kilter with almost everything else the visitors did. Mullin improved things when he came on, a little greedy but perhaps understandable given his limited playing opportunities. Would have like to see Smith who offers something different or Gilmour who can score from distance, rather than Dagnall as the final sub.

I don't want to play Forest Green again this season!

Difficult decisions for Micky to take with an ever diminishing squad. We currently need two points to be certain of making the play-offs. While there is still a mathematical chance of an automatic place, however slim, we have to go for it. Play our strongest team at Lincoln, for me that would not include a clearly unfit Norwood and re-assess afterwards.
I agree we should have done more to counter their left back, who was their best player and was also impressive in the reverse fixture. However, his ability to keep bombing forward was in large part down to our problems in midfield. He could only keep raiding forward because they had control in the middle of the pitch and had comfortable possession for long periods. Norwood had a tear in his groin, so won't be fully fit again this season. Whether or not to us him in the remaining games is a difficult decision for the manager, as none of the other strikers remotely offer what he does.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
this reminds me of the season we won the Leyland daf cup we lost twice to bristol rovers . i have a feeling we will either meet in the play offs or in the final and we will win mark my words . oh huge credit to the BEST fans in the world amazing again
I had the same feeling. But Micky will have learned a lot from today and hopefully we won't have as many injuries as in 2017 - although it's getting worse every game. :(

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree we should have done more to counter their left back, who was their best player and was also impressive in the reverse fixture. However, his ability to keep bombing forward was in large part down to our problems in midfield. He could only keep raiding forward because they had control in the middle of the pitch and had comfortable possession for long periods. Norwood had a tear in his groin, so won't be fully fit again this season. Whether or not to us him in the remaining games is a difficult decision for the manager, as none of the other strikers remotely offer what he does.
There were certainly problems for us in midfield, not disputing that. However, couldn't Morris and Caprice have done more to keep the left-back contained? I agree with you about a fully fit Norwood, but James was only operating at about 60% capacity today and arguably Mullin came closest to scoring.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The injuries are piling up and this is where you need a strong squad. Nobody can replace Nors but he was not as his best today. I agree with RLC, the injuries played a big part today and we desperately missed Perkins driving forward and dictating play in the middle. They had far too much off the ball in the 1st half. Second half we were pretty much camped in their half but we did not have the quality to put it away. They are one of our bogey teams, but let's move on to Mon and see where we end up at the final whistle. I am not expecting much but this is Tranmere and we don't to things the easy way.

Player
aldo
1225 going on monday its a sell out again brilliant by the beat fans in the WORLD . sorry but we are we support the club in amazing numbers away and at home the last few games at pp have shown that Tramere are a brilliant football club with a big base to work with we are amazing and togeather we can do amazing things be one be a superb club be one be tranmere

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On reflection, not the best set of results. Lincoln still need a point to be champions and they will want to do it at home in front of a bank holiday crowd. After Bury's defeat today they will be desperate to beat us next Saturday. If only Lincoln and Bury had won, while MK Dons and Mansfield had lost! Also two more injuries as well as Nors only half fit. However, I don't think this team ever give up and if we can win the last three games (not impossible), there is still a chance of sneaking into third.

The question is can Nors be expected to play twice in the next week without risking injury? If we lose him for the play-offs, that would be a big blow. As suggested above, maybe we should be resting him more and trying out other options. Dagnall and Mullin will both feel they have a point to prove and are fresh. A difficult one for Micky.

Player
Manager
John King
Norwood already is injured and won't be anywhere near his best again this season, even if he is capable of getting on the pitch for the remaining games. The dilemma, as Boz points out above, is whether to play a striker who is 60% fit or replace him with a greatly inferior player. Not a great position to be in at this stage of the season.

drwhoman

It does seem as if injuries are going to be crucial again sadly. However, whatever happens this has probably been a better season than most of us would have anticipated at the start and certainly around December.

Player
aldo
well the way i see it its been a brilliant season the fans have been great the club has been fa the numbers are goingup the proffits must be rising

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Realistically, we are looking at a playoff place. I would rest Nors now and hope he is somewhere near fit come the playoffs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought we were the better side overall but didn't really test their keeper enough, Mullin did quite well when he came on and for me should start for the remaining 3 games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On Nelson, seen a suggestion he handled in blocking their breakaway late in the match and FGR could have had a penalty. I didn’t see clearly, any thoughts?

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I read a quote from Micky that basically said he was going to leave it to Nors to decide whether he was fit enough to play. Bit of a kop out that IMHO, we all know Nors would run through walls for this team but the manager has to make those tough decisions. It was a gamble to play him and it didn't pay off, we need a plan B and I think we have enough strength in depth to field a strong 11 without Nors. Rest him, put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 15 minutes if we need him.

I thought the vanarama was bad enough but we're stuck here in a battle with with the vegan plaything and franchise FC. Deeply frustrating.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought the vanarama was bad enough but we're stuck here in a battle with with the vegan plaything and franchise FC. Deeply frustrating.
Sorry, Gray. You must have a short memory. In over sixty years as a Rovers fan, nothing is worse than the Vanarama. Right now, I haven't been happier since we were in the old First Division under JK.

Player
ian goodison
agree with boz about there full back having acres of space but caprice at times was playing as a centre back and should have kept his position

Player
aldo
i would rest nors on monday . we have others who can bang em in . give mullin a run out . he deserves a go . . we are prob gonna get the veggie t%&$Ts in the play offs . can see it now when we win both legs or if its us and then in the final we will beat them there . its in the stars to happen

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Not going to try and go into the ins and outs of Friday in depth.
If we get beat but the effort has been put in then que sera. That was the case.
First time I've ever seen a keeper halting play with "cramp".
Difficult one with Nors. Only the player knows if he's fit and all a manager can do is ask him.
He wasn't right though. Do hope we don't see him on Monday. If he's got any fitness left then we've still got fish to fry, take a break.
Ive always liked Mullin and thought he was excellent.
Took up great positions and I'm sure if he wasn't ring rusty he'd have got one.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it is harsh to describe Mellon's decision to play Norwood as a 'cop out'. If anything, I would say it was completely the opposite as it was a gamble that could always backfire and result in the manager being criticised, as was ultimately the case. If Nors said he was happy to play, I would have played him. However, I agree that Mullin should start on Monday.

I had mixed feelings about Mullin's performance yesterday. I have always quite liked him, as he can strike a ball and has a goal in him. However, his decision making around the box let him down badly at times, with too many hopeful pot-shots when other players were better placed and we needed to make an extra pass. I appreciate this was partly because he was trying to make a positive impression from limited time on the pitch, but (to state the obvious) he does not have the all round game and appreciation of team mates of Norwood.

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry, Gray. You must have a short memory. In over sixty years as a Rovers fan, nothing is worse than the Vanarama. Right now, I haven't been happier since we were in the old First Division under JK.
Yes, MK Dons and FGR are the exception in this division, and it is just a quirk of fate that we could end up meeting them in the play offs. By contrast, the division below is stuffed full of bankrolled clubs with tiny support and very little history.