• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green

Rovers v Forest Green
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, April 19, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with AM re Nors. Shame re Ridehalgh injury after such a good game v MK.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cagey first half although we have had chances.
FGR happy with a draw here. Norwood not in this with too many high balls. Need to get it on the floor, used the width more.

Hope we can stretch them a bit more second half. Ellis injury not looking good.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s difficult with having used a sub already due to Ellis’ being stretchered off and Norwood carrying an injury, but Micky should be thinking about changing things as FGR seem to be dominating the middle of the park. Not had a shot on target yet, closest a scramble after their keeper dropped the ball.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was deeply frustrating. More when I've calmed down.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A day when injuries finally caught up with us. We had plenty of pressure in the closing stages and a number of efforts on goal, some of them quite desperate, but the first sixty minutes were not good enough. The centre of midfield was the problem. Without Perkins and McCullough we never had control and FGR had too much 'easy' possession in the middle of the pitch. Harris was game and worked hard, but is not good enough, and Banks does not offer much without the ball.

We were further disrupted by Norwood's injury - he was clearly unfit and could not move properly - and the absences of Ridehalgh and then Ellis did not help either, as they meant we lost further established relationships and understanding around the pitch. On the positive side, Nelson and Zoum both did OK but we are lacking quality in certain areas at the moment.

As disappointing as we were, you could make the argument that FGR had only one shot on target and we did not deserve to lose the game. However, we just did not offer enough in a game of this importance.

We are heading for the play offs now, and we have just got to hope that Perkins and Norwood are fit and available for those matches.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I should add that we did actually earn a point, but our disallowed 'goal' was inexplicably brought back for an earlier foul by the referee.

Player
ian goodison
can,t remember so many players not at the races today, hindsight being what it is I would have put nors on the bench as putting him through 90mins when clearly not fit wasn,t needed, ellis will be a massive loss as we looked all at sea at the back, caprice, banks,pringle were so out of sorts it was terrible, ref allowed all there free kicks to be taken early then penalised for us doing the same thing, downcast as I can,t stand fgr o horrible club the gamesmanship was horrible

Player
Manager
John King
I thought we did OK at the back when Ellis went off. Nelson played well and FGR hardly created anything.

Player
aldo
this reminds me of the season we won the Leyland daf cup we lost twice to bristol rovers . i have a feeling we will either meet in the play offs or in the final and we will win mark my words . oh huge credit to the BEST fans in the world amazing again

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While there were certainly problems in midfield, their player on the left with the man bun was causing a few problems and it was his run and cut back which led to the Forest Green goal, a decent finish out of kilter with almost everything else the visitors did. Mullin improved things when he came on, a little greedy but perhaps understandable given his limited playing opportunities. Would have like to see Smith who offers something different or Gilmour who can score from distance, rather than Dagnall as the final sub.

I don't want to play Forest Green again this season!

Difficult decisions for Micky to take with an ever diminishing squad. We currently need two points to be certain of making the play-offs. While there is still a mathematical chance of an automatic place, however slim, we have to go for it. Play our strongest team at Lincoln, for me that would not include a clearly unfit Norwood and re-assess afterwards.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really frustrating. Great attendance but we weren’t up to it today and as has been pointed out, injuries are taking their toll (a bit like the season FgR beat us at Wembley).

I thought they were better in the first half and was pleased we got to half time at 0-0. They got down the left far too easily often because caprice was exposed as Morris kept coming inside. Pringle was poor - still not convinced by him - Norwood isolated. Ellis injury was right in front of me and look like either knee ligaments or ankle. Harris was found wanting and Banks was as cumbersome as ever.
Second half they got the goal but for the last half an hour we dominated, although many efforts were from outside of the box. I wasn’t convinced about the tactics as we had no width late on. Would have preferred smith or even Tollit instead of 3 strikers on but with little service from out wide.

Only one game but automatic promotion has gone, especially as Lincoln lost and I think will win the league if they beat us.

You do wonder if missing McCullough and Ellis could end our promotion hopes, especially if Perkins and Nors aren’t fit.