• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

yoevil v rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In regard to recruitment more generally, it is not an exact science and there will always be a percentage of successes and failures with any club, at any level, let alone a lower division side with limited resources. However, given the financial constraints he has operated under, I think Mellon's recruitment and general performance this season has been excellent.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know if he can play a Stockton role, but if he could then arguably merits considering for a place on the bench as Mullin and Cole, decent players though they are can't fulfill that role.
The 'Stockton role' is not some holy grail that we need to strive for. You just need two strikers, of any style, who can work together.

Reactions: joe
Player
Manager
John King
I would have thought that it was worse for morale for a senior player who deserves inclusion to be left out because of economic reasons forcing us to select a loanee who doesn't deserve a place.

How do we fill the squad then, if we can't afford 20-25 players of our own ? It is the parent club that makes those stipulations and we have little choice but to agree.

Player
Manager
John King
A young player would not be keeping out a senior player for political reasons though, as under the rules, if the youngster doesn't get the place then nobody does.
No, but the senior player would know he should be on the bench on merit and is not because of a daft rule, which is frustrating for manager and player. I think this is what Mellon is referring to.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No, but the senior player would know he should be on the bench on merit and is not because of a daft rule, which is frustrating for manager and player. I think this is what Mellon is referring to.
I agree it's a daft rule, but we're stuck with it. Think atm there are no senior players being kept out on merit because of it

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How do we fill the squad then, if we can't afford 20-25 players of our own ? It is the parent club that makes those stipulations and we have little choice but to agree.
Not all parent clubs make the stipulations, though now that the loan requirements must be for a longer period, suspect most do, knowing their player is going to be away for 4 months. I agree that the gulf between the haves and have nots in football is getting wider, but we must get on with it. That doesn't detract from my initial point that a senior player kept out by a loan player for financial reasons is likely to feel demoralised due to the arrangement his club has come to.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The home grown rule is not quite as straight forward as it seems as Ryan Williams is counted as home grown but he got injured in a behind closed doors game this week so couldn't make the bench