• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wrexham v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst many people in Merseyside will think the derby (12:30 k.o) is the biggest game of the day, the racecourse in Wrexham will be hosting a much bigger game 15 minutes earlier when rovers visit the dragons.

Wrexham have had a strange season and currently lie 10th. Ex manager Gary Mills took the likes of Sean Newton with him to York and John Rooney joined Guiseley on loan. Centre half Curtis Tilt joined FGR on loan recently and Izale McLeod has been leading the line since signing a couple of months ago, but hasn’t really set the world alight. Their last home game saw a 1-1 draw with Torquay and currently they have players out injured and are playing a striker at centre half. Another good opportunity then for rovers to take another 3 points.

This won’t be easy though. They’ll be a good atmoshere and the home fans would love to put a dent in our promotion hopes but with Lincoln at home to Bromley and FGR entertaining North Ferriby, we need to win to keep the pressure on, ahead of an easier looking game at home to Sutton on Tuesday. Expect a few feisty tackles and hope the likes of Jay and Connor keep ther heads against their former club. McNulty & McLeod will be a good battle.

Assuming everyone is fit then expect an unchanged line up. I’d keep Buxton in ahead of Sutton as Adam was very good on Tuesday. I wouldn’t mind seeing the likes of Sousa on the bench as not sure we need 3 strikers plus Mekki. However I fully expect MM to stick with the same 16 players in the squad.

Prediction: 2-0 win for rovers, the 2nd a penalty converted by ex dragon Connor Jennings.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hate derby games as they are so unpredictable, although we've done OK against Wrexham over the last few seasons. We need to keep up the winning record here. Winning this will give the team even greater confidence moving into the April period. It will be tough this one and it will be a battle, but if the lads can go there and do a professional job, we can come away with the points.

Buxton was getting good reports coming out of the Dover game so I'd imagine an unchanged squad. Would be nice for CJ to get on the scoresheet.

2-1 Rovers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's as much a disgrace that there isn't a league club in North Wales as there isn't one on the Wirral. And there's no prospect of Wrexham getting promoted, so the world's third oldest football club faces the prospect of a tenth season in the NL. It rather puts our present plight in perspective.

On form, we should win it. However, it's a derby match and it's televised, so we can't take anything for granted. I'm still going to predict a win, but as almost always with Rovers it will be close. I can't see any reason for any team changes.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Three or four weeks ago this looked a very difficult fixture, as Wrexham were one of the form teams in the division, their fortunes turned round completely by Dean Keates. However, since then they have lost Rooney and Tilt and James Jennings is apparently suspended for Saturday. It will still be a tricky game, but if we are anywhere near our best we should win.

In terms of selection, I think it will be the same personnel that started on Tuesday.

Current ticket sales are disappointing, with about 1,200 purchased so far. I think this reflects many factors: the kick-off time, live TV coverage and heavy-handed policing but also, sadly, a clash with the Merseyside derby. I find it inconceivable that any Tranmere supporter would rather watch that over-hyped rubbish than a promotion decider involving our beloved team, but there we are. At least the drummer will be in attendance, which should make for a good atmosphere.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like some I know I've got plans in the morning but would have gone to a 3pm kick off.

Going to Guiseley though

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was shocked at the numbers heading over to Anfield for the legends game last weekend. Don't think it's the best timing for BT, Friday night would have been better. Going to a friend's birthday do so would miss it whatever time it was played. Wrexham is not one of the more pleasant awaydays so can't say I'm gutted.

Agree with Ian that derby games are always a bit unpredictable. On both form and quality of the respective available playing staff Rovers should win it, but reality is not always that straightforward..

I would be tempted to start Cook and Stockton up front, but Micky won't. On the bench Sousa instead of Mangan and maybe a defender/midfielder.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agree that it's likely to be (and should be) unchanged team.
Didn't see Buxton against Bromley so Tuesday was my first impression of him.
For his 'size' he's no slouch and don't recall him misplacing a pass. He'll relish the hurly and burly on Saturday as will Jay. If we do get beaten it won't be because we've been bullied.
Crucial that we don't concede in the first 20, which we've been prone to do. Survive that and I think we'll come away with the points.
The Mersey derby is a pain in the arse cos it's unlikely that the pubs will have both games on and even unliklier ours will be first choice.
But..... Deadly Submarine and all that!

drwhoman

The stats point to a Rovers win. Top team on form over the last 8 games. Best defence in the league and attack not too bad. Wrexham recent form patchy and only one team have scored less goals. Defence ok but not flash. But it is a derby (LOL!).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
will be a tough game win is a must to keep the pressure on Lincoln, would imagine the same team will start although Stockton could be in the reckoning for norwood, away win 2 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd have preferred a Cook-Stockton pairing, given Norwood's been so poor lately.

Rovers take the lead from a deflected Vaughan shot after what sounded a decent start from Wrexham.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Excellent half from rovers, playing some really good football. Just need a second goal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Doesn't sound like the pitch is great and there's always a risk of a slip, so we do need to extend the lead as RLC states. Main threat from Wrexham seems to come from their tall striker White.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mekki on for Connor Jennings, who again seems to be targeted by an opponent and not getting any protection from the referee.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Playing well but 1-0 is a dangerous scoreline and McLeod on for the home side.

Thought Jennings was poor and I'd get Cookie on for Cole soon. We're fairly powder puff in attack so far

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You got your wish, Sparky. Wirral Radio suggested Cole played well. McLeod just misses an open goal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well done boys. Another 1-0 win. Another clean sheet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb. Not a classic by any means but we did enough for the win, that's all that counts at this stage.