• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wrexham v Rovers

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are on a roll now 4 wins on the bounce, 7 more to go !

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another very good performance. For seventy minutes I thought that was as well as we had controlled an away match all season. Some of the football in the first half in particular was excellent, with Hughes, Jennings and the front two linking in little triangles and the full backs pushed right up the pitch. We are working the 352 much better now than we were a few weeks ago, and collectively we look confident and very solid defensively.

It was one of those games where everyone contributed and it is difficult to pick out individuals. However, I thought all three centre backs were excellent with Big Mac back to his best. Cole Stockton continued his improvement and played well, and Connor Jennings was impressive in the first half but took a battering physically from the home team. Despite his lack of goals, Norwood's workrate and movement were excellent. Lee Vaughan bombed forward well in the first half and scored the winner, but I would give man of the match to Liam Ridehalgh who has been very consistent in recent weeks.

My only concern was that we tired badly in the last twenty minutes, the first time that we have shown real signs of fatigue. We sank too deep and the midfield struggled to cover the necessary ground. I thought we should have brought Cook on much earlier to hold the ball up and give the defence some relief, and we could have done with a midfielder on the bench rather than Mekki, who was a bit hit and miss when he came on. The Wrexham substitutes gave them a threat in behind which they did not have in the first half and encouraged us to sit deep, and they had a number of set plays around our box in the closing stages. However, Davies did not really have a save to make and we were deserved winners in the end.

The atmosphere was awesome in the away end and you sense the SWA really believe this could be our season now.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
A victory for Lincoln, as expected, although judging by reports they did not play well.

If they beat Dagenham on Monday I think it will be difficult for us to stop them looking at the remaining fixtures. Hopefully Daggers will take confidence from their big win today into that game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They missed a pen as well so nerves might be setting in. It's still there's too lose but as long as we keep putting pressure on, anything can happen.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If they beat Dagenham on Monday I think it will be difficult for us to stop them looking at the remaining fixtures. Hopefully Daggers will take confidence from their big win today into that game.
I am still confident. It now looks just Lincoln and Rovers for the championship. I think the Imps will drop points in the run-in and they only need to draw twice to open the door to us. However, that assumes we continue to keep winning. Your last but one post mentions fatigue. Winning 1-0 is OK, but it must take a lot out of you. You just can't relax the way you can with a 3-goal lead. At least we have already all but guaranteed a play-off spot.

Player
Manager
John King
We are certainly playing as well as we have all season, and have real momentum.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think you're right RLC. Daggers are realistically our last hope. Though Ferriby pulled off a blinder didn't they?
These 1-0 wins are killers. Game over and I look back and think it was always in the bag - during the game though I'm convinced we're going to blow it.
Really thought at start of second half it was in danger of being abandoned, the conditions down our right side were atrocious. Numerous potentially productive attacks fell foul of the waterlogging.
A word for the referree - and not a rant for once.
Yes, got some wrong, but got the crucial ones right including the Jay challenge in the box. Previous to that Jay escaped with a few words when already on a yellow.
Apparently he's yet to show a red card this season and the conditions today were ripe for any other ref to be card happy. It would have ended up a 5 a side match with last Tuesdays ref!
Absolutely magnificent support again and I'm sure Tuesday will be buzzing. One thing's for sure, if we have to go up the hard way via Wembley, we'll outnumber and outsing anyone.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The tiring issue is interesting, it may be that against less demanding (on paper at least) opponents Hughes might get a rest

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hope Cookie was actually 'rested' today rather than some backlash from him rightly being subbed on Tuesday. He did look a bit miffed at the time.
Can't see Mickey making any wholesale changes on Tuesday. We're winning games and I'm sure every starting player today will declare himself fit to be part of the roll.
Unfortunately for Cole though, i think Cookie will start on Tuesday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At the moment Cole and Cook are our best strikers and there is a strong argument both should start.

Player
Manager
John King
At the moment Cole and Cook are our best strikers and there is a strong argument both should start.

They are not. Norwood played better than Stockton today and offers pace and movement in behind, which Cole does not. Cook and Stockton are too similar to play together in my opinion, as they both come short for the ball.

The fact Norwood is not scoring should not blind people to the positive things he offers. This is not meant as a dig at Cole, who has improved massively this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't at the game, so am reliant on radio commentary. The impression given was that Norwood's lack of movement restricted the options Stockton had when in possession.

Cook and Stockton are different types of players and I would like to see them getting a game together before deciding it's impossible they can function as a pair.

While Norwood has a good work-rate my impression is his failings to tend to get overlooked, whereas Stockton tends to get jumped on for the slightest mistake. It's a difficult balancing exercise, Stockton's better conversion rate v Norwood's ability to create something from nothing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think MM is doing a really good job of rotation and while Stockton is scoring why not play him. We are resting players and winning games. Good man management it seems. If Norwood would have stuck away all those one-on-ones and penalties this season, he'd be on a decent total by now. He does work hard and that does go unnoticed a lot because they get judged on goals.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not claiming it is impossible for Stockton and Cook to play together because it has never been tried. I am just pointing out that the best two goalscorers at a club don't necessarily make the best strike partnership, so I can see why Mellon has gone for Norwood plus one of the other two.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It took courage to leave your leading scorer out of the starting line-up, but perhaps Andy will benefit from the rest - and the reminder that with Cole around his place isn't guaranteed. We've got two games a week until the final two weeks of the season, so I expect more players to be rested from time to time, particularly if they are carrying slight injuries.

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently the GPS devices the players are wearing influenced the decision to rest Cook. His workrate in recent games was down on his average and Mellon decided he needed a rest.

There were definite signs of tiredness from Hughes and Harris towards the end today and I think they will need a breather at some point, certainly Hughes.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Jay was putting more effort in at the end than Mekki who had just come on. Dare anyone to suggest to him he needs a break!
Difficult one for Mickey but for me, keep a winning team together. Except Cookie back in, no disrespect to Cole.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is there any update on Maynard's return date? The next couple of home games might present a chance to give Wallace some game time and rest Hughes. While I can understand the reluctance to change a winning side, when players are close to running on empty, there is that decision to take.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Glad we have players in reserve because we've got a lot of games this month, no good for tired legs!