• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

World Cup moments

Ally

Player
Aldo
Seeing Ian’s new avatar made me think of some of my favourite world cup moments from over the years. The first one I really remember was Mexico ’86 when I was about 8. I don’t really remember any comedy moments, apart from Ray Wilkins getting sent off for lobbing the ball at the ref (I think), Lineker’s Golden Boot, and Maradona’s Hand of God moment.

Below are some of my favourite moments:

5) France ’98 – USA 1-2 Iran. Bullied politically, Iran spanked the Yanks and they never really recovered.

4) Aldo and Jack Charlton hurl abuse at the official in the midday heat at USA ’94.
Aldo: Ayy!… Ayyy!!!!! Let me on the ****en pitch ya ****en ter-wat! … AAAYYYY!!!!
Jack: Yer dernt kner what yer dein??!!! Y’idiot, man!
Aldo:… AAAYYYYYY!!!!

3) David Platt scores injury time swivel volley against a stubborn Belgian side in the second round of Italia ’90. I saw this goal again recently for the first time in ages. IT. IS. BRILLIANT.

2) Maradona scores against Greece in USA ’94, turns and runs at speed towards the touchline camera, eyes on fire, fists clenched, head about to explode, as the cocaine in his system really kicks in. The face of a lunatic. Classic…Genius…. Cheating *******.

1) Cameroon’s 38 year old striker Roger Milla can’t stop laughing as he tackles poodled permed ‘Colombia keeper Rene Higuita (later to be seen on a BBC documentary, revving his motorbike in his front room, addled by cocaine) on the edge of the area and calmly strokes the ball home.

I can’t wait.

Player
Morrisey
Mine would have to be England vs. Brazil 2002. The result wasn't good but I was watching it at school and the atmosphere was briliant! It was like a carnival.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ally said:
2) Maradona scores against Greece in USA ’94, turns and runs at speed towards the touchline camera, eyes on fire, fists clenched, head about to explode, as the cocaine in his system really kicks in. The face of a lunatic. Classic…Genius…. Cheating *******.

That'll be this one:

maradona42ae.jpg

Yeah, remember that well. I guess his goal against England when he ran through the whole defence was one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. Pure genius. Immense skill.

B

bwilliams

Super_white_army said:
Mine would have to be England vs. Brazil 2002. The result wasn't good but I was watching it at school and the atmosphere was briliant! It was like a carnival.

Thats mine for exacly the same reason, gutted about the result though!

B

Banana Army

USA 94 was a reat tournament for me for two reasons. Its the first one i can really remmeber for a start and secondly England weren't there. No over hyping, no nervous biting of nails, just sitting back and watching the best players in the world battle it out.

Fave moment ever would probably be Bergkamps wonder goal where he traps a 70 yard frank de boer pass and with the same touch brings it inside a defender to slot it home in the '98 quarters. It helped that the goal was scored against an Argentina side who'd recently controversially beaten England.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
A memory was when Senegal beat France 1-0 in 2002, I was wathcing it with my dear old grandad, and it was giantkilling act, just what makes World Cup more entertaing.

Owen's goal v Argentina was a good memory despite losing on Penalties in the end.

Also, the last world cup is a memoroble one, simply because of I can remember gettingup at liek 6.30 to watch the matches, I went threough extreme lengths to watch them lol, the feeling when we went 1-0 up v Brazil was special but it was very upsetting at the end.