• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Woking v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We won the home game comfortably back in August, but this was a false dawn as we then started a dismal run which lasted several weeks. The postponed visit to the Cards is what I call a crossroads match. A win would give everyone the belief that a corner had been turned and we were back on track. On the other hand, a defeat or even a draw would leave the faithful worried that our dismal away form could cost us a place in the playoffs.

Sadly I won't be there as I'm on a long awaited holiday. My gut feel is that we will get over the loss of DMH and Banks by returning to form. I think we will scrape a win, though this is the sort of game which promotion hopefuls should win more emphatically. After flirting with the playoffs in November, Woking have not won since. They have just lost one of their better players, Joe Ward, to Peterborough. I'm not expecting too many team changes, although personally I think this would be a good opportunity to give Kirby a run out for his speed, shooting and workrate.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Good news on the injury front. Buxton is back in training while Wallace and Tollit are not far away. Wallace in full contact from Monday and Ben could be available from the month end. The matter of new loanees might not be quite so pressing although we should not assume that James and Ben will be at full throttle from day one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased about Buxton who has been very good of late but I’m not hopeful about Wallace at all. Tollit is obviously a boost but I hope he’s not seen as the star man to turn our mini slump around as it’s a lot to ask for a young man.

I predicted we would win at barrow but was wrong. Working is another game we should win - but who knows

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our two previous trips to Woking have seen a 4-1 hammering and a Ben Tollitt inspired 0-3 masterclass. Didn't go to either, but gather both games were closer than the scores might suggest. Then there was the false dawn of the fairly comfortable 3-1 home season opener.

In terms of line-up, while agreeing with BBTC that Kirby is worth a start, expect MM to persist with Larnell Cole. If there are doubts about Buxton, who's only just resumed training then anticipate Duggan will come in, otherwise, unless the new arrival hinted at in the press conference has landed, expect an unchanged side.

Prediction: The form book suggests Woking will score, probably more than once. We need players in goal-scoring positions to be more clinical and no more stupid mistakes at the back. Score-draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This really is a must win a draw is simply not good enough im going for 2 1 win for us

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with the opening post that this is a watershed match for us. Despite the gloom around the club, a victory would lift us to fifth place, the highest we have been in the table since that win over Woking in August. With none of the other promotion contenders playing this is a great opportunity to make up ground; a winnable home game follows, which could set us up for the crunch match at Wrexham.

I would start with the same team that played at Barrow, save for bringing in Hughes in place of Harris. Cole was one of our better performers last week and does not deserve to be dropped and I think we need continuity to find some rhythm again after the shock of losing the two loanees. The sale of Ward is a Godsend to us as he was by far their best player in the return fixture, although Effiong is still a threat up front.

The hosts are in terrible form and I think we will win this one, with about 400 SWA in attendance.

Reactions: Mal
Player
aldo
we have to win this at all costs . nothing other will do . i can see josh coming in for cole . as we need the wide player . think it will be a hard 1-0 but just a win .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Unchanged ( I think), Ginnelly on the bench

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Taylor; Buxton, Sutton, McNulty, Harris, Cook, Norwood, Jennings, Norburn, Cole, Clarke

Subs: Pilling, Hughes, Ginnelly, Ridehalgh, Kirby

Decent side. Got to be winning this..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Big Mac off injured early on. Ridehalgh on at Centre half. Sounded like a bad challenge but yellow card only

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Get in!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Very open game, chances for both teams. Mac going off has disrupted us at the back and we should have had a cb on the bench. Think we will need a second to win it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Has Buxton gone to central defence and Ridehalgh at right-back or Liam in the middle?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like Liam in the middle. Need that second goal

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Norwood again missing chances. Get Kirby on?!?!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cook sent off. 2 yellows. Hughes on for Cole. Nervous times...

M

Mal

I know the commentators are bound to have bias but it sounds like Woking were guilty of a lot of simulation and the referee was not really up to scratch. Be interesting to hear views of anyone who went. Still win one lose one of away games is better than two draws.... and out of the top 9 Tranmere have third best points haul in 5 games, 1 point behind Sutton and Macclesfield. We need them to drop a few more points.