• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've been away for the last week and not really following things Tranmere. However, am a little surprised given Rob Edwards' remarks on trialists, namely that he wouldn't be wasting people's time, that we've not signed any more. From what I've read Bruna and Touray seem reasonable prospects, McDonald somewhat less.

On Woodards, RE doesn't seem certain he'll play him at left-back or get a loanee in pending Ridehalgh's return. It implies when Liam is fit at this point in time, Rob's thinking is that he'll be the no 1 left-back and Touray isn't going to get an offer. I do however agree that Woodard's versatility makes him a decent player to have in the side, so share the view that we'd have been better giving him a 12 month deal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In the Daily Mail today that Mark Palios is in talks to takeover the club and it could well happen soon, been rumoured on another site that its Chinese and arab money behind the potential takeover.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In the Daily Mail today that Mark Palios is in talks to takeover the club and it could well happen soon, been rumoured on another site that its Chinese and arab money behind the potential takeover.
Why would the Chinese or the Arabs want to buy Tranmere Rovers? It doesn't make sense. If it is true, I am reassured by Mark Palios being involved.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Load of nonesense I reckon.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Boz you may have gathered by now that RE has signed Woodward and stated in the paper he is prepared to give McDonald more time to get fit, given the good form of the two first choice centre backs. He also said he felt both McDonald and Wood ward could play at a higher level again - so if he is a good judge it bodes well....if?? For definite we do need another centre back I feel.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy, I was aware we'd signed Woodards, but not of Rob saying he'd give McDonald more time. RLC's report of his showing in the Chester friendly wasn't encouraging. None of the youngsters/trialists have impressed in central defence, so I'd agree with you we need some cover there.

On the question of possible takeovers, it may explain why PJ totally changed tack on Trust involvement soon after the public meeting. I can't see what's in it for the Chinese/Arabs, while former players getting involved in takeovers have a mixed history. It will be interesting to see what develops.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I notice Joe Thompson has signed a "pay as you play" contract with Bury and on his twitter page adds "I would like to thank all the Tranmere fans and a certain few members of staff for supporting me during the nightmare year. But you can't sign on a dotted line that isn't there". What telling words..."A FEW CERTAIN STAFF" and "A DOTTED LINE THAT ISN'T THERE"
Over to you Jeremy.....explain that away!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Boz, RE said "McDonald was so good with his feet he could play midfield and could play at higher level. Maybe he has seen something - maybe good squad player and may be needed at corners at both ends if we are under the cosh.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The first couple of times I saw MacDonald he did ok: he seemed a strong in the air, no-nonsense type centre half. However, in the Chester friendly his distribution when he had time on the ball was very poor and his lack of mobility was shown up on a few occasions.

Having said all that, I have been impressed with all of Edward's other signings apart from Odejayi, so I will certainly give MacDonald the benefit of the doubt if he does join; it is always difficult to judge one player in a generally awful team performance. Of the current trialists, Toure and Bruna have impressed me more, but as has been commented above, additional cover at centre half would seem to be an urgent priority.

Regarding the supposed takeover, I am beginning to tire now of the constant speculation, most of which comes to nowt. I just hope we don't have any off the field disruption this season to compare with the last one.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On the question of possible takeovers, it may explain why PJ totally changed tack on Trust involvement soon after the public meeting. I can't see what's in it for the Chinese/Arabs, while former players getting involved in takeovers have a mixed history. It will be interesting to see what develops.

The Echo is reporting that Palios is in negotiations to take over as an individual rather than as the head of a consortium.

It seems the story has some substance, but I just hope we don't have another drawn-out drama to match the Wilde affair.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/former-fa-chief-executive-mark-7556138

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Regarding Palios, he'd have to work wonders at Tranmere to sort out the finances. If Johnson had ploughed 1m into the club last season, he'd have some work to do to sort that out. I can't imagine he'd come with a huge wallet.

The Joe Thompson scenario is a tough one, but maybe the new regime didn't think he would fit into their plans. Good luck to him at Bury.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
RLC hopefully McDonald will have done enough now to get a squad number and impressed RE - like you, I think he can spot the type of players he wants - with the odd exception. Let's hope McDonald falls into the success category. Otherwise he needs to get a move on for another option, although we did sign defnders Boland and Morris from Barnsley - but presumably they are not ready yet.

Palios involved in any takeover or the running of the club should be a good move given his business background and football experience.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McDonald signed on non-contract basis. I suppose now it's down to him to get fit and earn a full contract.

Higgy, Morris no longer with us and Boland apparently hasn't looked ready in pre-season.

drwhoman

Signing McDonald on non-contract terms was a smart move. Puts the pressure on him to get properly fit. A guy with a good pedigree who has not fulfilled his potential. Maybe he has to be pushed. This might be his last chance unless he wants to play for the pub team! On Palios let us hope that he gets the gig without too heavy a personal commitment. Depends on PJ. An incentivised deal would be a shrewd move. A decent player who was one of a rare breed. A uni student who became a professional footballer. The success of Heighway and Hall at Pool was probably an encouragement at the time.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
I think signing him on non contract has to be good a thing, he will then need to prove his fitness, rather than spending £28 million, then getting a new manager who then decides he's not fit !

drwhoman

I see RE has been saying that Rovers have ended their interest in Touray but are looking to offer Bruna a short term contract only as he has had injury issues. A suitably frugal approach and let us hope the player is pleased to accept what is offered. He does have something going for him if he can stay fit. They need every reasonable player they can if they are to minimise the number of times they have to go down the loan route.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I agree with the sensible approach re Bruna, although given the rave review in Bruna's potential from RE I hope we get some kind of option clause to make it longer if he demonstrates sustainable fitness and progress. It would be shame to lose him at the end of 6 months when he might be useful to us in terms of contributions to the team and eventual sell on value.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, we've got him for a month at least. That gives the player time to prove himself and look for an extended contract. Also signed Matt Hill on a non-contract basis. Again another sensible none committal move. Importantly though, at least we have some cover now and a bit more depth before the opener tomorrow.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Looks like Palios will be unveiled as the new chairman tomorrow

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If this happens, and the reliable source on another forum seems fairly confident, it will be interesting to see what his plans are. Financially, as it's reported above, without foreign backers, I wouldn't expect much change in the short-term. However, I hope that Rob Edwards is given a reasonable chance to prove himself. Rumours that player recruitment funds have been held back pending the takeover and possible change of management may be unfounded, if there is any truth in them, it would be a bad start for any Palios regime.