• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

What can Rovers do to get the attendences up?

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

Lately I have been noticing how poor are home attendences are. They have been steadily dropping throughout the season, and I'm sure they met a new League low against Gillingham eight days ago.

For one, Rovers need to start playing better football. This may be obvious, as obvious as it sounds, but aswell as dropping valuable points when we are drawing our home games and losing away, we are also losing alot of part-time supporters. This must stop. As poor as the atmosphere can be at Rovers sometimes, every Rovers fan counts, as the money is crucial to maybe (big maybe) getting new players into the club.

Another thing the club must do quickly is lower the price of tickets for adult fans. £15 is probably average, maybe slightly less, than average for clubs in our league. However, if our ticket prices for adults were £10, we would not only get the real fans in, but we might encourage others who follow Liverpool or Everton (or anybody else for that matter) to come to Prenton Park and watch their local club, and they may then be converted, meaning they come to more games, meaning we have more fans and more money.

Also, we need to do an offer like Forest did yesterday. Look at the amount of youth that travelled to the game yesterday. Our support was excellent, and the kid for a quid offer certainlly helped, as it encouraged me, and probably many other youngsters to go and support TRFC. If we do an offer such as a kid for a kid day, maybe three times a season, we could encourage more youth to come to Prenton Park, maybe convert some of them, get more fans and therefore more money. Just like with the adults above.

There is obviously absolutly nothing wrong with our away support. It is without doubt among the best in the league, and long may that continue. But if our attendences continue at home, the trend will most probably happen away from home too.

The fans as Brian fails to realise are key to a teams success. As much as I hate to say it, look at Liverpool's win in Istanbul. Their fans cheared them even when they were 3-0 down and the team on the field was most probably inspired by this amongst other things, and went on to win on penalties.
The same happened with us in the glory cup days against Southampton, Leeds and the best game of all, our 3-0 victory over Everton.

We simply must get the fans back, to chant the team on, like a 12th man and hopefully get a reaction. We should be hauling in 10,000 atleast per week, as so many people can't get into Liverpool or Everton games on the Wirral, however, we are only managing around 8,500, 7,500 at the most against Gillingham.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see what your saying mate. Getting behind the team in numbers. However, we've always known our support is slightly lower than we would all like.

I actually think attendances have been good, it's the atmosphere in games which has been poorer, and something I've definately noticed this season.

Our average attendance this season is 7752 which I actually think is pretty good when you consider we weren't averaging that much more when we were a league above.

From my recollection, we've never averaged 10k, being the support as it is, so asking for that this season is asking a bit too much.

The fans that we do have just need to create more atmosphere at the home games. However it's a little difficult at present to get the momentum going. And of course, the team and manager have to start believing in themselves before they start believing in us. We can only do so much sitting in the stands...

C

championship_here_we_come

the simple answer to this is play more attacking football
all football love to watch attacking football so if we attacked more are attendences would rise

M

Matthew The Rover

championship_here_we_come said:
all football love to watch attacking football so if we attacked more are attendences would rise

Is it though? Manchester United are playing 4-5-1 and still hauling in 65,000 per week. Ok, we don't have the quality players Man U do, but they certainly don't play attacking football. Niether, in any way, shape or form, do the Liverpool

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Look here, Our hardcore fan base has always and will always be under the 10k mark.. :roll:

C

Matthew The Rover said:
championship_here_we_come said:

Is it though? Manchester United are playing 4-5-1 and still hauling in 65,000 per week. Ok, we don't have the quality players Man U do, but they certainly don't play attacking football. Niether, in any way, shape or form, do the Liverpool

im sorry but that is stupid to compare us to man utd and liverpool we are a small football club not a multi million pound business which are what liverpool and man utd are.

my point isa the liverpoll + everton fans may want to coem and watch us because we are affordable, local, and we play great attacking football

Player
Johnny Morrissey
The reason attendences have been down this season from the last couple is that we are sh!te! The football is appalling, we don't win - no value for money - hence people who might come who support everton or liverpool won't come cos they could have more fun being dragged around shopping centres with the missus! Thats how bad it is!

C

Ian said:
Look here, Our hardcore fan base has always and will always be under the 10k mark.. :roll:

i think the hardcore fan base is more like under the 5k mark as i am willing to bet that at least 30% of the attendance (8000) each week is made up by liverpool or everton fans

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
"What can Rovers do to get the attendences up?"

Score goals.

Play pleasing football.

Show at least a faint indication of some bottle.

Even a little bit.

The tiniest amount will do.

we havn't actually lost at home yet this season which makes this topic more annoying.the only team i feel have deserved some points off us is bradford city for thier first half display.but saying that we only hae our selves to blame.however with a lack of passion from the bench and alot more negativity shown how are the so called neutral(everton and liverpool)fans expected to come and spend there hard earned cash on us!BL puts fans off with his pre-match interviews.also when these fans have been in the past they have probably seen alot more passion and commitment.also lets face it we have a poor squad :x :!: without any cup run or a turn in fortune in the league we are bound to stick with the basic 6,7,or 8,000 fans.we do some good deals for our youth fans(or we have done in the past)and i don't think we are that expensive(Forest-adult £20 kid £1) @ rovers (£15 for an adult,and £5 for kids)we are actually cheaper and yet that was a one off for forest!play better football and have a bit more passsion,and we might have a bit more fans :!: :!:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I dont understand this. Why are we going on about more fans?
We've got the same amount as we did last season, when we were flying high.

It's not the amount of fans thats the problem. Its the atmosphere at the games. It wasn't this quiet last season.

Then again, apart from the Bradford game which was a good game and a good atmosphere, we aint exactly been watching riveting football have we.

No matter how good we play, attacking or not, we aint going to get any more fans!! Well, maybe the odd 1 or 2 more.. :roll:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The atmosphere in the stands reflects what is happening on the pitch.

If the team play well then the fans respond. If they play badly then the majority shut up rather than respond negatively, although we've always had a fair few vocal supporters who make their views known at games, and the combined quiet and groaning should convey to the players and manager that it's not good enough to turn up and only play to sneak a draw. We play less badly at home because the players and manager don't get away with performing badly so easily.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I would reduce the prices from £5 to £4 and occasionally have kid for a quid" days.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I feel we need to start winning games and start playing attacking football instead of going for draws in games. We need to be more positive in games!!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
I wish every gaem was like the Hartlepool game regarding atmosphere.

M

Matthew The Rover

bolton_hater said:
I wish every gaem was like the Hartlepool game regarding atmosphere.

And attendence figures. It is a disgrace how all these glory cunters turn up for the Hartlepool and Millwall games, etc, but then go back to glory cunting Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
The problem is with some of the fans we have is that they are all to happy to turn up when things are going well... but when things take a turn for the worse they turn into armchair supporters who don't bother. This is not everyone... obviously some people have valid reasons as to why they can't make every home match, but quite a lot of our fans just don't turn up if the team aren't playing well.

On the subject of the atmosphere it is a 2 way thing... It can be argued that we should get behind the team from the off and if we do that we will see a better perofrmance... Or it can be argued that the team need to play well to give the fans something to cheer. I think i'd have to say that I think if the atmosphere is good then you are more likely to see a better performance.

C

regarding the ticket situation
i think that it is stupid that young persons (17-20???) have to q at the ticket office with id to buy there tickets its just a pain in the arse why not just allow them to show id on the gate and therefore pay on the gate.
the pain in the arse factor could stop some people from coming as q'ing fopr an hour before the game just for a ticket why cant they just pay on the gate

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
yer obviously lol :lol: