• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As stated elsewhere Margetts joins Lincoln on loan until the end of the season. He started the season well for them and was then sold to Scunny where he hasn't had a look in. A loan move to Crewe resulted in Johnny not being able to play - some sort of eligibility issue.

A couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have minded us taking him back given Nors & Mangan were misfiring. I always liked Margetts as a goalscorer and GB never gave him a fair chance. Hopefully our front 4 will have enough goals in them but I hope Margetts doesn't come back to haunt us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we need to concentrate on Lincoln. Let's look after ourselves and win as many games as we can. Lincoln will have more slip ups like yesterday. We need to be as consistent as we can. With over 40 points to play for, a lot can still happen.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We might play Lincoln again in the Trophy final, but unless we both finish in the play-offs, Margetts can't upset our promotion hopes.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He could score the goals which secure Lincoln the title ? As it is, I don't rate him as highly as any of our five strikers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Margetts is an enigma. I didn't understand why he was frozen out by Brabin, when we were scratching around for strikers. Equally couldn't see why a L1 side would fork out a fee for him but rarely play him. Think he might chip in with a few goals for the Imps, but don't see him as a title changer.

RLC, who do you class as our 5th striker?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Connor is one of our best finishers in my view. His goal for Macc recently was a one on one slotted in the corner, the type Nors hits at the keeper.

MM must seriously be considering the budget boost. Steve Jenno went off with a back injury and in mickeys own words, we are down to the barebones, yet he says we've just got to get on with it.

Assuming Jenno is our for a while (even though he isn't match fit anyway), we are missing Wallace, Maynard, Tollit, Dunn & Kirby. At this rate we'll limp into the play offs and go out with a whimper. Recent wins against Chester have been good but I fear about our current available team when we come up against a half decent team such as Macc.

MM won't want to waste the money but surely there is someone out there?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suppose a question is where to strengthen? We've two wide players available, even if MM not that keen and 4/5 forwards. Probably a midfielder in the Maynard mould would be most use.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still not totally convinced by Big Mac in recent games but agree that a centre mid is a priority. Someone who can put their foot in and bring some presence.

Only central options at present are Harris and Hughes - neither have enough steel in my view. If Dawson was available you could look for another winger and go back to 4-4-2.

The worry is that MM is simply waiting for Wallace, Dunn and Maynard - all of which may be back in a few weeks but plenty of games before then. Plus one of those 3 hasn't been fit since he returned to us.

Player
Manager
John King
I think people are getting slightly panicked. We beat Barrow 5-1 and Chester 3-2 with the current personnel, so the problems are not that serious. From Mellon's perspective, he probably knows there is no out there who is both better than we have and available at the price we are offering, so he is reluctant to spend the money.

It is only Tollett and Kirby who are missing long term. While Tollett is a key player, Kirby is not rated by most of our supporters anyway, and we have Connor Jennings available now, which is effectively like signing a new player (assuming MM decides to use him).

At the back, McNulty has actually played well in the last two games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When we beat Barrow, Maynard's lung-busting run set up the critical second goal, although granted he only played a few minutes at Chester. Lincoln are managing to acquire new players so there is the talent out there. I share Sparky's fears that Micky is pinning his hopes on the returning trio who will be back this season, but on the evidence to date, he is deluded in thinking Wallace will be influential this season. Maynard probably won't return until the play-offs, while Dunn's a few weeks away. It's fairly optimistic to think we can scrape promotion on what we've got.

McNulty seems to make one major mistake a game though like the header against our bar at the weekend they're not always costly. The radio had him as MoM at Barrow. I do think while we're playing 3 at the back, there should be some competition at the back, even if simply having Gumbs as an option from the bench.

Player
Manager
John King
Maynard probably won't return until the play-offs, .

I thought he was supposed to be back in 2-3 weeks ? I am sure that is what Mellon said anyway.

I am not against bringing new players in if they are good enough, but we should be wary of wasting money on dross, as has happened too often in the last few seasons.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After the income Lincoln must have received during their cup run, they must have money to burn and will surely be looking to strengthen their team. Our best hope is that (a) defeat in the FA Cup bursts their bubble somewhat and/or (b) the influx of three or four new players damages team spirit. I don't think either will happen, so sadly I don't see them dropping too many more points, so if we are to win this league we need to be winning consistently and putting them under pressure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought he was supposed to be back in 2-3 weeks ? I am sure that is what Mellon said anyway.
If that's the case, then it is encouraging. Initial reports suggested a longer absence.
Lincoln already had some investment prior to the Cup run and have brought in a number of players on loan in the last month, Angol already a hat-trick hero. I would have thought that financially we'd have the funds to bring in one or two. Tend to agree with BBTC, regarding how Lincoln will perform post their Cup run, if Rovers can go on a winning run it keeps the pressure on them

drwhoman

I see the Daggers have signed another striker. Does any one have any thoughts on why MM has not brought I even loanees given all the injuries? A Tollett type maybe and a defensive midfielder. It could be argued that he is showing faith in his squad but it is thin and several players will not be match fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's probably highly unlikely that we would find someone of the same skill level as Tollitt in the loan circles. What you dont want to do is panic and bring in players that aren't actually going to help. We've been there many times before.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a bit damned if you do and damned if you don't. If we're unable to bring anyone decent in, I'd like to see MM give the younger players some bench time. Duggan has proved he's capable at this level for example.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Very veiled whisper elsewhere that Dale Jennings might be coming back. Don't know how much weight can be attributed to this and not sure he would be the answer to our current lack of width.

Player
Manager
John King
Seems alarmingly similar to the GTF, Higdon, Wallace, Dawson signings........

Not sure he is the answer.