• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Crewe

Tranmere v Crewe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, March 8, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, March 8, 2019 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
I too can,t make tonight but back to normal tues. any win will do not bothered who scores result more important

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Really got mixed feelings about Fri night games.
Win, and you're on a high, great start to the weekend.
Lose, and it's the opposite, weekend written off and missus thinks "it's only a game" eases the pain!
If no-one's injured Mickey will be true to form and we'll be unchanged.
Will be very surprised if this is anything approaching a goal fest.
Single goal winner then sit back tomorrow and watch the others scrap it out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
NORS!! First shot on target with 20 minutes to go and it's a goal! Sounds quite a tough game from BBC LiveText. Another 1-0 or is there a surprise to come?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We don't do it the easy way, do we? It was tense just following it on the BBC website. Must have been nerve-racking at PP tonight. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like things weren't always clicking for Rovers and winning when you're not at your best is a good sign. Excellent turnout too.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A largely scrappy game played in horrible, blustery conditions and another fantastic victory for Rovers.

I think between them, Norwood and Mellon won us the game tonight and demonstrated why they are our greatest assets. In the first sixty minutes we did not get to grips with the game in midfield at all, with too many stray passes and long balls. That changed when we switched to a 451 and brought on Banks. Smith was having a decent game and he was not the obvious player to take off, but MM realised that we needed to keep our best passers on the pitch - Perkins, Pringle - even if they were not having great games, in order to get control of the midfield. Once the change was made, we settled and looked the better team in the closing stages.

Norwood's performance was immense: he could conceivably have scored a hat trick in a game where we created little for long periods and it was a brilliant take and finish from an acute angle for the decisive goal. I thought Crewe looked a decent side in midfield, but we created the better chances and just about deserved to win. Defensively we were superb again, limiting the visitors to scraps and I never thought we were going to concede, other than the mad moment in the 87th minute when we allowed their centre half to run fifty yards with the ball unopposed.

Individually, I thought Manny was immense and pushed Norwood close for man of the match; Caprice had another great game at right back, defensively and offensively; McCulough did his usual mopping up in front of the back four very well; Perkins seems to have suffered a dip in form and gave the ball away a lot in the first half, but improved when Banks came on.

Our fantastic run continues and we are guaranteed to remain in the top seven over the weekend. More of the same required on Tuesday night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First half was pretty rubbish although the blustery weather won’t have helped. Thought Jennings in particular was poor and at times we couldnt string any passes together.

Second half Micky made the changes and we passed it better but ironically it was a punt from Davies that Nors got onto and finished well. Everything he touches turns to gold at the moment and his list of suitors will be growing each week. It’s not just his goals that is so impressive but his work rate.

Thought we’d thrown it away at the end but the back 4 and keeper were brilliant again. Hope zooms injury isn’t serious.

Onwards and upwards

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I desperately wanted us to win that game tonight to keep the great run going and pile on a bit more pressure on the top teams so i was a little despondent at half time. The lads worked hard enough but we just lacked quality in midfield and Nors was looking a little lost. The second half changed as mentioned with the subs and we started putting some meaningful attacks together. I thought Crewe to their credit worked very hard and whilst they don't have a goalscorer like Nors and thus looked a little lightweight up front they made it diffcult some for some of our players such as Pringle who wasn't given much time or space with the ball and nullified some of our threats.

We certainly had to work hard for the win but the lads kept battling and the spirit is good. Looking at the positives, it's another clean sheet, another Nors goal and another three points! Now we can relax and see how it pans out tomorrow.

Player
aldo
5 clean sheets in 6 games is great going and nors on fire . Great having sutch a good international fan base over tonight . And to reward them with a win . Good on em now lets keep it going

Player
Manager
John King
Another incredible save from Davies at the end tonight apparently, although I could not see it clearly from my vantage point. I doubt there is a better keeper at this level at this moment in time.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Another incredible save from Davies at the end tonight apparently, although I could not see it clearly from my vantage point. I doubt there is a better keeper at this level at this moment in time.
The team's record and the number of clean sheets since he became captain is incredible.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not a game that will live long in the memory but a very important win to keep us in the play off positions and puts pressure on the other teams at the top.

I think it is a very good sign that in difficult conditions and against awkward opponents that we still managed to get the win, onto Tuesday now

Player
Manager
John King
Great attendance too. 7,898.
The Trust are targeting 6,000 on Tuesday night as well. It would be great if we could capitalise on the last couple of years and permanently increase the size of the fan base, similar to Lincoln.

Player
Manager
John King
Ben Tollitt probably Wrexham's best player in the big game against Orient today (on BT at the moment).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice mention for us then on BT saying Ben has 3 games left with Wrexham and he’s said he’s gutted to be leaving them. But could help us with our promotion push