• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Crewe

Tranmere v Crewe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, March 8, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, March 8, 2019 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tranmere return to Prenton Park under the Friday night lights when they take on local rivals Crewe. With only eleven games to go, the table is shaping up nicely for Rovers. Currently in 6th position, Rovers will be looking for another win that would extend theie unbeaten run to six games and see them firmly placed in the top seven. Confidence is high at Rovers with the new players now settled in and really making a positive impact on the team whilst James Norwood continues to bang them in. He's now on 23 goals this season and looks set to his the magic 30 mark if his form continues.

Looking to spoil the party are Crewe who are currently 15th in league two but only nine points behind Rovers. They'll be hoping to pick up some form to mount a late challenge for a playoff place. They've been struggling recently with a poor 2-0 defeat at home against Northampton and a 2-1 home loss against Exeter.

Player
aldo
Lets fill pp . Be positive and go for it we need to score some goals to get the goal difference up as we are the lowest scores in the top7 i think thats right but the goal difference is only 8 for us ae need a couple of big wins .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I know some people don't like the Fri night games, but I love them! Hoping for a good crowd, great atmosphere and another three points!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Early congratulations on your 70th! I hope the lads give you a nice present. :thumbsup:

Player
aldo
Yes early congratulations dud .with over 4480 tickets and thats just home fans .its going to be a great atmosphere . Just hope the boys do the business

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I know some people don't like the Fri night games, but I love them! Hoping for a good crowd, great atmosphere and another three points!
I prefer games on a Saturday these days, but it is good to have a Friday night match a couple of times a season. It was quite a special atmosphere against Macclesfield, but I think if we played every home game on a Friday it would soon become mundane.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If my moniker hadn't been BBTC, it might have been Bring Back Friday Nights. I used to love them. We seemed to do well, although I've never seen the stats to prove it. I always felt the opposition were are a disadvantage having to play then. Certainly, fewer of their fans could travel. It also rules out fixture clashes with the mob over the river. When I lived on Merseyside, going to PP on Friday AND Reds or Blues on Saturday was affordable, even for a youngster like me. How times have changed (at least over the water).

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. Cheap top Division football went out before the Premier League. Going to Liverpool or Everton was a very local experience whereas today the Premier League is a global ‘product’. Technology has been a key to this of course. For the equivalent of 40 pounds a month I can watch most Premier League (and European for that matter) games live albeit that it is never quite the same as being at the game. This has changed of course. I have been to Liverpool a couple of times in recent years and it is a sedate experience compared with the scrum in the Kop that I experienced the few times I went fifty years ago! Friday nights and a big crowd at Prenton was far more enjoyable!

Player
ian goodison
fully agree BBTC when I started work too many years ago to remember I went to rovers fri. nights and as I worked with both blues & reds went to both grounds, no hatred between fans then only good banter, trouble is according to sky tv they invented football, I loved Granada on sunday when they would televise a match from the local area.

Player
aldo
With over 5100 sales already its gonna be a biggie hope they fill the away end . And make it a great atmosphere . Lets fill pp . And have fun

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
Does eney one know of eney jobs going eney where . My wife has just lost her job . . She will do almost anything

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
You living on the Wirral?

If not and in North Wales, there’s always chef jobs going...

Player
aldo
Its 4 my wife shes not a chef lol . Shes worked in a call centre and doing demonstrating or sampling

Player
aldo
Crewe sold there 550 tickets the rest have to bye on the night 5500 now sold . We still have no computer till at least monday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The first of eleven huge games for Rovers as we target a play-off place, or perhaps even better. There are now 6,000 pre-sold tickets for the game, so I would be surprised if it is not our biggest gate of the season, topping the 7,400 on Boxing Day, with 6-800 from South Cheshire.

We really owe the visitors one after two hugely disappointing defeats against them earlier in the season, the first in the CT when the embryonic Monthe / Ellis partnership was less than assured and we let a 3-1 lead slip to lose 4-3, the second after a pretty awful display at Gresty Road when Alex went straight through our midfield with some assured passing football. Crewe are a decent side who play some good stuff, albeit they are in patchy form and their play off hopes are all but over. They have got some decent individuals such as Chris Porter, Callum Ainley and Charlie Kirk, who will receive an interesting reception after his antics in the return fixture.

I think Rovers will line up with an unchanged team, even if Kieran Morris is passed fit. We have to win this game if we are serious about promotion and I think we will win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We always seem to make it a hard game against Crewe, but I do feel now the form we are in, the players we have and the decent crowd, we'll come away with the win. It's Fri night football, we have to win!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Historians will tell you that tomorrow's game is a repeat of Rovers' first ever game in the Football League in 1921, which we won 4-1. I think we'd all settle for a repeat result. As well as being our oldest rivals, they are now our closest. Our fortunes have mirrored theirs more than any other club. We were both in the old Third Division (North) for nearly every season and we have since played them in all of the bottom three tiers. We have never been apart for more than a few years at a time. So it is no surprise that they are also the team we have played the most times. Tomorrow will be the 118th clash and so far we have won 58, drawn 33 and lost 45. We have not lost at home in the league to the Railwaymen since 2000. I think this sequence will continue and the result will reflect current form with us winning by about 2-0.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The game at Crewe was lost, not just through midfield, but also the targeting of Zoum, who the Crewe manager made clear he has a low opinion of. The midfield has changed significantly with only McCullough and perhaps Smith starting this game of the quartet who turned out at Gresty Road, but have to hope Zoum’s current good form continues.

Agree that this is likely to see our best crowd of the season, though sadly not including myself. Despite our general good home form against Crewe and current league form, expecting this game to be close.