• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Aldershot (play-off semi-final 2nd leg)

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Even we couldn't do a Tranmere from this position could we?

Need to keep it very tight for the first 20 minutes to settle the nerves. I'd take a 0-0 but another win would be great for our confidence. Same starting XI, maybe rest a few players if we're coasting at half-time?

Can't remember the last time I was so excited about a trip to PP, I'm travelling up from the Midlands obviously.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bizarre game having such a clear lead although one thing we do know, it that they will throw everything at us. Like Gray says, keep it tidy first 20 mins. Once settled down exploit the gaps.

No need to go crazy here. Just need a professional job done.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What we must not do is concede an early goal as parts of the crowd will then get nervous which could pass onto the players. Although any Aldershot goal in the first half would give them a lift if we haven't scored. I'll be quite happy if we are relatively negative in the first half and look to keep things tight with a view to hitting them on the break in the second half.

Assuming everyone is fit I'm sure it'll be the same eleven. Although I'm sure Hughes and Wallace in particular would have liked a rest but hopefully the tie will be over at some point in the match giving us enough time to take them off.

It should be a very good afternoon.....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd advise against being too defensive. That would hand the initiative to Aldershot and it will be a king 90 minutes. An open game would suit us fine. Even if they score three,we'll get at least one. Let's just stick to what we have been doing, play our natural game and don't allow them to get forward.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/remember-man-tranmere-rovers-fans-12986934

What a knob.
As gross an act of crowd incitement when he scored you're unlikely to see.
Should have been carded.
The third goal on Wednesday was crucial.
Without it, should they score first, it changes whole complexion.
With it, we can still compose ourselves should that goal come.
Shots don't have a choice other than to go hung ho. Can more likely see us scoring first to really knock the stuffing out of them.
Be interesting to see the reaction of their fans.
I'm sure there will be plenty that have bought tickets and after Wednesday have thought they won't subject themselves to the ordeal.
Ticket sales are great and hopefully it'll be a day to remember.

M

Mal

looking at other forums, only a Tranmere fan can be worried about conceding 4 or 3 and losing on penalties at home. Especially with a partisan crowd in tranmere's favour.

Aldershot have to attack which will clearly leave them vulnerable to counter attack. Tranmere had one of the best defensive records, so just need to stick to what they do best.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mensah came across as a complete wa**er after his goal celebration in the first game. That article just confirms it. Better prepare himself for some disappointment come 2pm tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see how we set up tactically. I think we will stick with the 451/433 which stifled Aldershot in the first leg, albeit with Norwood and Jennings given more licence to stay high up the pitch. I think with a massive crowd urging us on, the game will inevitably be more open than the previous match and I expect Aldershot to score. However, I still think it is Rovers that are going to Wembley. The only selection change I can envisage is Cook coming in for Stockton, but it will probably be an unchanged eleven.

I have not seen the latest sales figures, but over 8,000 tickets had been sold at lunchtime today and the gate will definitely be in five figures, perhaps even 10,000-12,000. We have not had an occasion like this for years and it should be a day to remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I hope that there is no element of complacency in how we set up for this game. 3-0 up at half-time yes, but looking back at Rovers own history to a certain League Cup tie against Southampton to see that such a lead can be overturned in less than the 90 minutes available here. I'm also a touch wary because of recent history of Rovers underperforming in front of large crowds at PP. I think it is crucial that things are kept tight early on, as an early Shots goal would give us the jitters. Probably the same starting xi as in Hampshire, but a defender (Gumbs) on the bench. I think Rovers will do what's needed to make the final but it wouldn't be Tranmere if it was a stroll

Player
Manager
John King
3-0 up at half-time yes, but looking back at Rovers own history to a certain League Cup tie against Southampton to see that such a lead can be overturned in less than the 90 minutes available here

Going further back, a more direct comparison would be the League Cup tie with Blackpool in 1992. We won the first leg 3-0 against a team two divisions below us, only to lose 4-0 at Bloomfield Road in the return fixture.

However, I don't believe that will happen tomorrow.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
looking at other forums, only a Tranmere fan can be worried about conceding 4 or 3 and losing on penalties at home. Especially with a partisan crowd in tranmere's favour.

Aldershot have to attack which will clearly leave them vulnerable to counter attack. Tranmere had one of the best defensive records, so just need to stick to what they do best.
Spot on, Mal. Most posters on this thread are incredibly negative about tomorrow. If they were the manager, the team would walk out like jibbering idiots. Once you start talking to your team about the fact the opposition could score a couple and get back into the tie, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we go out under-confident or over-confident, we could lose. But under Micky this won't happen. The only way we will lose if we have a combination of Aldershot playing out of their skins, most of our lads having a stinker, us losing even more players through injuries and the ref leaving his specs at home.

Go out and enjoy tomorrow. I wish I could be there.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's great that Mal and BBTC are so confident. Afraid I'm always apprehensive (verging on jibbering idiot) going to a game that matters and Tranmere have a habit of doing things the hard way...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, if I hd a season ticket for PP this season, I'd probably be a jibbering idiot. Most matches have been close but fortunately we've kept our one goal lead or grabbed a late winner. That can't be good for the nerves. I am confident you will have at least a few minutes of relaxation and enjoyment this afternoon.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not surprised about the starting XI but thought we'd see another defender or midfielder on the bench. Got to trust Micky.

M

Mal

It's great that Mal and BBTC are so confident. Afraid I'm always apprehensive (verging on jibbering idiot) going to a game that matters and Tranmere have a habit of doing things the hard way...
well, if they score 3 or more in 45 minutes, I will eat mu hat which isn't difficult as I don't have a hat

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
well, if they score 3 or more in 45 minutes, I will eat mu hat which isn't difficult as I don't have a hat
If that happens, I'll use the money saved on a Wembley ticket to buy you one!

Some of the players seem to be showing signs of nerves too. There have been a few wrong choices in what ball to play in the defensive area putting us back into trouble. That said, the Shots goal was conjured out of nothing and will give them heart.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, sorry you are not getting your relaxing afternoon. But would you rather be a Shots fan at this moment?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought that it was a decent game, but typically not as straightforward as the first leg might suggest. When Rovers conceded with an og just after a blatant shove on a Rovers player had gone unpunished, after Rovers had gone close at the start of the second half, I did begin to wonder... Some last ditch defending and a decent save around the 70th minute restored my faith that we'd do the necessary.

Player
Manager
John King
First things first, I am delighted we got the equaliser as we did not deserve to lose the game. I thought we had the better chances throughout.

I thought we completely controlled the first half with a professional display. Aldershot had a lot of possession but did not really trouble us and their goal was an absolute worldy from Mensah. The midfield trio were very good again and we were unfortunate not to be ahead at half time. After the break, Aldershot threw caution to the wind and the game became much more open and frantic. While we did not have the same degree of control, we still worked incredibly hard in all areas of the pitch, getting back to cover each other and winning second balls. The enforced change of formation did not help us when we were trying to see the game out and Davies make a couple of great saves in periods when we were under the cosh.

Individually, I thought Wallace continued his improvement and we have to hope his injury is not serious. Lois Maynard won an incredible number of fifty-fifty challenges. Liam Ridehalgh was also excellent but I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Big Mac as man of the match.

An atmosphere we have not at Prenton Park for at least a decade and I am looking forward to more of the same next week.

Last edited: