• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-2 Huddersfield

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Just this minute got back after driving through a lot of snow! Bit disheartened when I left the ground, but upon a bit of reflection we lost to a very good side, the best I've seen this season by far.

Not sure if the first goal went over the line, second came about through lack of pace of Ian Goodison basically.

Luke Daniels made several outstanding saves, we failed to create too much which as the home team is a bit concerning. One positive is that we won't play Huddersfield again cos they looked a very good side.

Sorry folks, but I'll post match report on the home page tomorrow night, am cream crackered!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just this minute got back after driving through a lot of snow! Bit disheartened when I left the ground, but upon a bit of reflection we lost to a very good side, the best I've seen this season by far.

Sorry folks, but I'll post match report on the home page tomorrow night, am cream crackered!
Wimp:lol:

Just got home after a train ride back to Udders, then my taxi got stuck in the snow so ended up having to give it a push and walk the last half mile...

I half expected us to lose tonight, but the manner of defeat was harder to take. We started brighter, had a half-shout for a handball penalty, but the first time Udders get into our end they score. Goodi conceding a needless corner, and about 3 attempts at goal, one of which crossed the line according to the assistant ref (I couldn't judge), although there was a suggestion of a foul on Edds in the build-up. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of Rovers and although we came back stronger, didn't trouble their keeper.

Again a bright start to the 2nd half, a shot from Sordell tested their keeper. However, they promptly go down our end and score. There was a hint of offside, but apparently Broomes was playing everyone on. Thereafter, Huddersfield looked more likely to add to their lead than Rovers did to pull one back. Barnett came on for Edds at h/t, the latter presumably injured, then Welsh was replaced by Shuker and Sordell by Gornell, with minimal impact. It was noteworthy that while Zoum and Goodi who hail from sub-arctic conditions in Africa and the Carribean didn't need gloves, Barnett who hails from the tropical paradise of Liverpool obviously did:cold:.

MoM Really hard to single anyone out, but Daniels with some decent saves and O'Neill with a steady performance would share it.

SCoops, a bit surprised that you rate the Udders so highly. I thought that Charlton were a much more clinical side when they turned us over 0-4. When we got the draw at the Galpharm, there was more running at them with the ball; the succession of aimless high balls and dithering around the edge of their area never really put their defence under pressure, the way we did in their own back yard. They do have a strong forward line, a solid keeper and some fast wide-players who are good on the break, but play-off material at best imo.

Have to say that I'm worried that with a tough run of games coming up, we'll sink right back down again; we seemed to be lacking in fight tonight.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought for the 1st half, it was two fairly evenly matched teams apart from one important factor - a cutting edge in the final third.

Daniels pulled off some good saves throughout the match but I can't remember their keeper making many, this despite us having quite a few decent half chances during the game. Despite the Orient win I continue to worry whether we have enough talent to put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

2nd half after they got the goal they looked really dangerous (wish we were like that!). Lots of pace and good movement although not surprising given their confidence must be sky high. We worked hard but didnt have the ability to really test their keeper, despite being in their half a lot.

Agree with Boz that MOM would be Daniels but thought ONeill looked comfortable aswell. Don't think the front 3 threatened enough and without sounding negative, we need to get something from Brentford on Saturday as two home games in the space of 3 days against Southampton/Leeds will mean we probably won't create many chances in these games against 2 sides who both score a lot of goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought for the 1st half, it was two fairly evenly matched teams apart from one important factor - a cutting edge in the final third.
I suppose that really summed up the game Sparky. The difference in quality up front was glaring obvious tonight. Novak given a chance will score.

I was disappointed about last night but not surprised. The lads played fairly well but just weren't good enough on the night. Huddersfield's build-up play and forward line was much better than ours and they seemed to get goals at really bad times that simply killed us off.

The goal early on in the 1st knocked us a bit and in all truth, the game was all but over after the second went in.

It's annoying when your team creates chances but can't put them away. Curran and Sordell probably the biggest culprits, but we never looked fully in control and there were times when the old aimless hoof up-field came into play. Couple of headless chickens chasing balls whereas Huddersfield's build up play was more controlled and precise.

Being honest, Huddersfield could have scored 3 or 4 last night, but for more good saves by Daniels.

Go to put this one to bed and move on.

At least we are still out of the bottom four :-D

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
We were beaten by a better side.

Zoum and Goodi both put in P*** poor performances, but were made to look worse by the Huddersfield players simply having them beaten for pace. If a player's main strength is pace and they come up against someone quicker, then they're always going to be made to look foolish. That said, both of them need to work on their distribution, I have no problem with lumping it up the field, but... how hard is it to aim for either a team mate or at least an empty space? Giving it straight back to a team that thrives on hitting you on the break is asking for trouble. I'd rather it was out of play than straight back at us!

We needed Edds, when he went off the crunch went from our midfield and we lost shape. Huddersfield were a strong team, well organised.. and who was in the middle of the park barking the orders and keeping their shape? Someone we miss terribly, and I'm sure we'd all have back in a heartbeat.

Curran and Shuker when he came on were both completely ineffective, and the balls into the box were woeful. When the opposition are all well over six foot and strong in the air, surely the instinct of a wide player should be to whip it in fast and low, or play it on the floor. Huddersfield could head our high looping balls away all day long, no trouble at all, and they did!! We couldn't match them physically and neither did we ever really looked like breaking them down with speed or cunning.

Have to feel sorry for Gornell, perhaps should have started the game, was thrown on to hopefully change things, but to say he had to live off scraps is an understatement.

As Ian has said, probably best to put the game to rest and move on. We can stay up, but it's going to be tough!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Wimp:lol:

Just got home after a train ride back to Udders, then my taxi got stuck in the snow so ended up having to give it a push and walk the last half mile.

Fair play to you mate, you win on that score.

I just felt Huddersfield were the most threatening team by far. They passed the ball around really well, had pace to burn against our complete lack of it, and looked dangerous every time they attacked. Charlton caught us under John Barnes so hard to tell how good they were lol.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Last night reminded me of what the Orient game made me forget, that more often than not we don't score enough goals.

Curran works his socks off, as he did for most of last night and ITM works hard too - But, I am serioulsly worried it simply won't be enough. Sordell won't score a hatfull of goals either.

But - we have what we have, so just have to get on with it I suppose....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fair play to you mate, you win on that score.

I just felt Huddersfield were the most threatening team by far. They passed the ball around really well, had pace to burn against our complete lack of it, and looked dangerous every time they attacked. Charlton caught us under John Barnes so hard to tell how good they were lol.
Wasn't point-scoring, SCoops, by the sound of it we both had sh*t journeys home. Take your point about Charlton, but this Udders team weren't vastly different from the one we drew with at the Galpharm. If we'd played the same way, balls to feet and using our pace it would have made it a lot harder for them. Agree with most of what NBDH says, but assume the only reason you don't mention Broomes is (unlike Zoum and Goodi) it's not unusual for him to turn in a poor performance?

Player
Goodison
I thought it was a disappointing performance possibly one of the worst under Parry. The characteristics of Parry's reign has been a side that works hard, is difficult to break down and is effective at set pieces - we were none of these last night.

From the first minute Huddersfield were given far too much time on the ball, the likes of Kay, Drinkwater and Roberts had ages to bring the ball down and pick their passes - we didn't get in their faces which is suicide against a good passing side like Huddersfield.

The first goal was not over the line in my opinion - Daniels dived across the line not behind the line and there were little appeals from the Town players who played on, the linesman wasn't even level with the goaline so how he can give that I don't know. The second goal was Broomes deciding to play everyone onside, leaving the not so pacy Goodison against Novak (who is actually their best striker).

The forward line was vey ineffective - Curran was woeful, Moore ineffective, Sordell uncomposed. In midfield we failed to close them down at all or create any chances - the ball was hoofed in the air at every opportunity which isn't a bright idea with Kay, Clarke and Trotman against Curran, Welsh and Sordell.

In Defence I thought Oneill had a very good game and didn't really put a foot wrong. Goodison was shaky throughout, although rather worryingly he was our main goal scoring threat, Bakayogo was erratic - he would produce a great tackle then get nowhere near next time. Bakayogo also wasn't very effective going forward. Broomes was clearly the weak link in the defence, he failed to pick up Rhodes and Novak on several occasions which was causing uncertainty amongst the rest of the defence - Goodison in particular suffered as he kept getting in a tangle trying to cover Broomes (leaving a gaping whole between Goodison and Bakayogo)

Man of the match for me was Daniels who made several very good saves and only conceded one goal.

I also don't understand the point in playing Shuker on the left side as it means he can't cross and is goal scoring record isn't very good so asking him to cut inside and shoot is unlikely to produce results. Gornell for me has great touch but no pace - a bit like a slim Ricketts!

Player Ratings:

Daniels:
Oneill: 8
Broomes: 4
Goodison: 5
Bakayogo: 5
Edds: 5
Welsh: 5
McLaren: 5
Curran: 3
Moore: 4
Sordell: 4

Barnett:
Shuker: 5
Gornell: 4

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enjoying reading everyone's thoughts after the game. I guess this shows the gulf between top six and bottom six. Like Sparky says, 'we have what we have'. Some games we just aren't going to win. We all have to remember we don't have that much quality. We have to scrap and try and get points from the games we do have a chance of winning.

I'm pretty sure SonkOrly will disagree, but there were times when I looked at Kay and really wished he was playing for us. He looked composed and fitted into their team really well albeit it being a better side anyway.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Leeds come to town.

Player
Goodison
but there were times when I looked at Kay and really wished he was playing for us.

Any team in league 1 would have Kay in their team without a doubt. We really need some physical presence in midfield at the moment. Kay could have also partnered Goodison as well.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Agree with most peoples points, Huddersfield are a decent side, better than us to be truthful, but we could have got something out of last night if we were a bit more clinical.
Daniels was excellent, the back 4 looked slow (even Zoum at times). Midfield, I thought Welsh was abysmal (how the hell did he ever get a game for Liverpool), McClaren had one of his better games for me and I'm no fan. Curran was also crap last night, never looked like doing or creating anything, ITM put the effort in to no avail.
Anyone else think Sordell gave up as soon as it was 2-0?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Enjoying reading everyone's thoughts after the game. I guess this shows the gulf between top six and bottom six. Like Sparky says, 'we have what we have'. Some games we just aren't going to win. We all have to remember we don't have that much quality. We have to scrap and try and get points from the games we do have a chance of winning.

I'm pretty sure SonkOrly will disagree, but there were times when I looked at Kay and really wished he was playing for us. He looked composed and fitted into their team really well albeit it being a better side anyway.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Leeds come to town.

Agree with you that these boards are good for illustrating different viewpoints. However, in "The Great Escape" thread and the pre-match opinions the majority of posters thought we would get something from this game. Imo, even with the players we had available, if we'd adopted a ball to feet strategy, like the away game, we could have taken a valuable point.

On last night's showing, I'd have taken all of their players over ours, save perhaps Daniels and that only because their keeper wasn't tested enough to judge. Yes, I would like Kay back, but it ain't gonna happen!

As for the Leeds game, did we have any choice as to the re-scheduled date? It seems risky to play so soon after a tough home game v Southampton, lose both heavily and the effect on morale could prove devastating.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
we could have got something out of last night if we were a bit more clinical.
That's the problem. We just aren't clinical and never will be with this squad. There have been so many good chances and poor misses this season.

As for the Leeds game, did we have any choice as to the re-scheduled date? It seems risky to play so soon after a tough home game v Southampton, lose both heavily and the effect on morale could prove devastating.
Not sure if the club has a choice, but it's one hell of a week that one. Southampton and Leeds within 3 days and two away games either side. :-s

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
In so much as Kay is a marginally above average League 1 central midfielder, he would - by default - warrant a starting place ahead of Welsh, Edds or Mclaren every week.

I didn't go on Tuesday, cheers to all who took the time to review.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't go on Tuesday, cheers to all who took the time to review.
Out of curiosity, was this because you couldn't go or chose not to? I was expecting a few more home fans last night. The weather played it's part in keeping numbers down and about 1000 travelling Udders kept the attendance respectable.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Yeah it was bloody freezing in the stand. :cold:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Out of curiosity, was this because you couldn't go or chose not to? I was expecting a few more home fans last night. The weather played it's part in keeping numbers down and about 1000 travelling Udders kept the attendance respectable.

I was in Manchester on Tuesday night. It was a difficult game but with Leeds and So'ton coming up, it would have been really handy to get some point on the boards and carry through some momentum. Any idea if this O'neill fella is out of contract at the end of the season or anything?

Onward and upward

I think we mostly all agree that Huddersfield proved as difficult as expected to pick up points against for a variety of reasons, enough said.

It is maybe a measure of what we think we can get from our team that we are disappointed not to get something out of a home game, no matter who we play against. You could also see that same disappointment on the Rovers players as they left the pitch, surely a good sign in itself if they have high expectations too.
At least things are in our own hands after the overall improvement in form - we must not judge based on any one game. I think the team are showing spirit, what they lack is confidence. Too often they will panic when things go wrong when all that is required is a steady calming influence and the belief that if you continue to work hard and do the right things the percentage will come your way.
But do we have the players to do that? Or the management?
Possibly, but we need to select players who will consistently work hard and remain calm under pressure. Drop Broomes, Moore and Shuker [all three are lazy and incompetent] - replace with triers, namely Taylor upon his return, Mcreadie and Barnett. And I suggest points will be gathered more often, but whether there will be enough to stay up is anybodies guess - but I'm more hopeful now than at any point in the season so far.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But do we have the players to do that? Or the management?
Possibly, but we need to select players who will consistently work hard and remain calm under pressure. Drop Broomes, Moore and Shuker [all three are lazy and incompetent] - replace with triers, namely Taylor upon his return, Mcreadie and Barnett. And I suggest points will be gathered more often, but whether there will be enough to stay up is anybodies guess - but I'm more hopeful now than at any point in the season so far.

More muddled thinking from planet Bootle. If we took out of the equation the goals that ITM has scored for us this season, we'd be just above Stockport in the league. Who else will get the goals, if Ian's not playing; I can't see what's incompetent about being our top scorer#-o
We didn't concede any goals after Shuker came on, but I'm not claiming that he'd be a better defensive midfielder than Welsh! However Barnett was given a whole 45 minutes v Huddersfield and didn't pull up any trees.
Agree about Broomes though:-D