• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

town v the whites

Player
aldo
going tonight would like to see tollitt get a start and tonga to . hope we play like we did in parts against wigan some of the play was very good. realy looking forward to it . cant see it being 22-0 that was evertons score at the weekend

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't make it tonight. Let me know how they get on AM.

ADD

Player
Norwood
My first pre-season game so looking forward to it. Would settle for 21-0... In all seriousness we looked good pre-season (lairds) last year and then look what happened. This time we have however a proper pre-season and since the U18's are playing tomorrow I assume this will be only the first team squad plus any triallists so here's hoping Tollitt, Tonga, Zoum etc. get a good run out - 60 minutes plus so after Fleetwood on Saturday we can know for sure whether we have any more signings or not...
Anyone have any team news?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope Mullin gets a good run out. Started quite slowly albeit only pre-season.

Player
aldo
yes and pillings made a lot of saves . who is going to see the u18s tomorrow might try and make it if i get off in time

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some suggestion Castano, who appears to be a midfielfder rather than striker, got the first goal, Can anyone attending confirm?

I'm a little surprised we haven't used a few more triallists, given the lack of depth to the squad.

Mitch Duggan, (triallist?) for Warrington tonight. Would have thought he was capable of playing at a higher level.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
J actually thought Castano scored the first but the twitter feed suggested otherwise. Definitely a midfielder. To be honest it wasn't great tonight - scrappy pre-season game against robust opposition. Pilling made some good saves first half but struggled with anything at height which is a concern, Wharton also made some smart saves second half. We looked sharper second half than first with Zoum, Norburn and particularly Jennings adding class. My first game and I found it really difficult to judge the trialists and newcomers. The lad from Sheff U looked decent in the first half, the Spaniard looked like he had a good football brain but didn't really do enough, Tonge showed some decent touches but lost the ball too frequently, Mullins some decent movement but little end product. Smith impressed with skill, pace and commitment. To be fair Warrington made it pretty difficult and deserve some credit. To be honest I found it quite disorientating trying to judge from pitchside rather than the great view from our main stand! Ellis and Sutton were the only ones to play the full 90; together at centre back in the second half after McNulty departed and Sutton moved in from right back. I see Barton was there tonight; hopefully giving us, rather than just Norburn, the once over!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Castano I am pretty sure scored the first. We were very poor first half and could easily have been down at half time. Pilling was ok but yes agreed was suspect under the high ball. We were better second half than first but that wasn't saying much on a difficult pitch. Zoum did ok yes but a few misplaced passes. Tonge I was not impressed about - he seemed to be running constantly into blind alleys. Mullins had plenty of movement but didn't show much aside from the tap in goal. Castano didn't get a touch for 20 minutes as we played hoof ball over him but he stuck at it and was willing to put his foot in and also get up for headers although not that big. He seemed to have good awareness of players around him and showed some nice touches plus a nice goal. Spellman didn't have a lot of defending to do but he looked confident and had good composure on the ball - I was impressed and hope he gets more game time.
Overall difficult to say too much given the state of the pitch and Warrington were pretty good I felt - certainly better than I had expected. That said it has to be said that this being our third game in I can't say I was that impressed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks ADD. It’s probably also quite difficult to get any consistency in these games as you have 11 changes at half time plus the comings and going with the trialists.