• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Torquay v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Disappointing result but could have been worse under the circumstances. Await reports on game and sendings off.

Micky chose a more attacking line up than I expected, but was it the most appropriate?

M

Mal

Disappointing result but could have been worse under the circumstances. Await reports on game and sendings off.

Micky chose a more attacking line up than I expected, but was it the most appropriate?
I think it will be hard to criticise simply because almost half the match was with 10 men. It does sound that we have the usual poor refereeing standard but i need to see the incidents. Still, looks like Cook and Alabi for Tuesday!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the lineup was fine. It was setup for a good second half until the referee started dishing out cards galore.

Decisions sounded dubious but why did McNulty get involved? Just no need.

Decent point with 9 men.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This also gives Cook a chance to win back his place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like we started well but then discipline issues let us down and in the context of finishing with 9 men a point was not a bad result.

Last season the explanation for leaving Cook out was something to do with his stats. If exceptions are made for McNulty, whose skills as a defender compensate for a lack of mobility, then you'd have thought the same could be applied to our most clinical striker. Cook's omission in this game suggest there may be an non-footballing issue between him and Micky.

The McNulty sending off sounded debatable but Norwood's in the context of the side being down to ten men already was plain stupid.

I was surprised that McEveley started, given his lack of pre-season or match fitness and would be interested hearing how he fared.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why was Norwood sent off ?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Trudging out of Wembley, today seemed light years away.
And here we are, discussing the first game and, routinely, poor referreeing.
Away for weekend so listened over the net to Wirral Radio.
Decent line up but sorry there wasn't a place for Cookie. The radio frequently said "heavy touch from Alabi" so does he need to get used to seeing the ball in build up more than he did at Deva?
Sounded like McKelvey settled in ok.
Rude wakening for Orient and monkey hangers!
Same result for us as last season so still on course to equal 95 points!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Due to traffic issues it took me eight and a half hours to get down there today and I only saw the last fifteen minutes. As a result, my report will be brief.

When I arrived we were playing some decent stuff with ten, then nine, men and actually looked the more dangerous side. However, judging from some of the comments around me, I saw the better part of the display and we were a bit lacklustre for the first hour.

From the little of the game I did see, Buxton, Cook and Harris were impressive. We had one good opportunity late on, when Cook planted a header over from fifteen yards and also forced a number of corners, even when two men short. Torquay looked very ordinary: we cleared a cross off the line in stoppage time but they never really got behind us, and I have the feeling that had we been firing on all cylinders this is a game we would have won, regardless of refereeing decisions.

I did not see either McNulty booking, but Norwood got a straight red for what seemed to be in arm in the face of an opponent. He was provoked by the Torquay player and there was some niggling before hand, but it was a stupid thing to do in the circumstances.

With ten men we used Cook as a lone striker, with Norwood and Jennings on either side. Looking at the starting line up, I presume it was 4312 with Jennings behind the strikers ?

I always thought this fixture looked tricky, so a draw with a depleted side is probably a reasonable result. However, both Daggers and Aldershot got off to winning starts and we must win the next three matches to keep pace.

I don't want to rake over the coals of the Cook debate, but there was no lack of effort or enthusiasm from him today, which suggests he is still trying to impress the manager. As Ian says, he has three matches now to stake a claim, and if he performs (which I am sure he will) Mellon will find it difficult to drop him. Reading comments elsewhere, Alabi was not impressive today and Cook's omission from the side is baffling to say the least.

Just hope my season ticket turns up so I can get in on Tuesday night........

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC and commiserations on what was a hellish journey for you.

I didn't catch much of the commentary, but it sounded like we'd started brightly and then lost our way a bit. Sounds like we battled well after the sendings off, whereas we fell apart at times last season going a man down.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My brother went down on Friday for the weekend, he reckoned we were the better side and should have won the game really, although the ref was poor both of the red cards were deserved and especially in the case of Norwood were plain stupid. Apparently Alabi didn't have that good a game and we looked a better team we Cook came on, hopefully he starts on Tuesday and gets a run in the team as he is still our best striker.

M

Mal

Cook and Alabi looked good against Camel Lairds in terms of their ability to work together so maybe we will have a chance to see if that combination works. Alibi is a better bet in one-on-one situations than Norwood based on all the video evidence on youtube and the Cammell Laird game. It is only one game and first competitive one this season so things will improve.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Sorry for late report guys - just too shattered last night after very long day. Feel for RLC only seeing the final quarter. We set off at 6 am for our 200 mile trip to the palm trees of the Devon Riveria, albeit with a much fresher breeze than St Tropez.
Must say have a soft spot for Torquay and it was good to see them rally at the end of last season and survive in the NL. Good enthusiastic SWA turnout and not a bad crowd at their neat and tidy proper ground compared to the few hundred we sometimes see at away grounds. We made a good start to the game and really came out of the blocks strongly competing with a lot of determination. To be honest I thought we were getting nearly all the decisions in our favour early on much to the annoyance of the locals. Yes the officials were poor generally but we all know this is the case in the NL and I am not blaming later events on the referee.
In many ways the first half was similar to last seasons scoreless draw. We were the only team stringing any passes together and clearly had a far more talented group of players. However the formation often didn't function leading to frustrating misunderstandings, misplaced passes and being caught in possession. The only threat they posed was a couple of wind assisted openings, dead balls and long throws. Our back four looked good and thought MC Eveley was very composed and read the game well; very impressive debut looking quality but perhaps understanding tiring at bit towards the end. I have never seen Norburn before and was very encouraged with his showing. Full of energy, good on the ball and involved a lot in our promising moves but may have to not over elaborate in dangerous areas.
Although Nors really should have scored early on and I think it was Rides who curled one onto the cross bar maybe half time on equal terms was about right. At the break I recall many around saying the match was there for the taking and this is how we felt. With the wind behind and seeming we had the ability to pull play together I felt we would go onto win by a couple of goals. Somehow even before the first sending off which seemed no more than a robust challenge by Buxton we were not able to push forward a higher line and smoother them with sustained pressure. I agree with BIg Marts brother we were the much better side, could and should have won this one. I'll discipline I am afraid cost us dearly. Nors was becoming frustrated he was working hard but nothing much coming off. He was screaming at team mates and officials and frankly whilst he was pushed his reaction with the elbow desevered an early bath..
A few other observations: Alabi is not a like for like with Cookie as on this showing he is no threat at all in the air. His performance without wishing to be harsh was disappointing and still on the development curve. Connor was good at times but having him out wide is not best. Sutton did very well when he came on and cleared off the line and looked very sound. MOM for me was Buxton who competed so well, covered a lot of ground and generally was good in all he did including flattening fairies without fouling. Not down beat at all after yesterday; it was just one of those things and at least we took something away besides the clotted cream! We have some very good players who are going to turn over most sides

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report Brightonian. Did we start in a 433, with Jennings on the right ? If so, that system is a bit Brabinesque. It seems to me you either have to play Jennings or Norburn in the hole behind the strikers, or else play Norburn in midfield in place of Hughes. It seems Micky is still grappling with how to fit them into the same team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unlucky RLC, that must have been an incredibly frustrating day.

I was slightly deceived as I had to put up with Andy Doyle on Wirral Radio and he said he couldn't understand why Norwood was sent off. Maybe he didn't see the elbow.

I think we should remember this was the first competitive game with a handful of new players. I don't think we should be too critical on players yet. Give them a bit of time to bed in.

It was a good point under the circumstances.

Player
Manager
John King
I was slightly deceived as I had to put up with Andy Doyle on Wirral Radio and he said he couldn't understand why Norwood was sent off. Maybe he didn't see the elbow.
I noticed that Derek Jones was not around yesterday. A shame, because I thought he was the best of the local commentators. It seems that BBC Merseyside have been sidelined by the club (or vice versa) and Wirral Radio is the only option now.

It makes me laugh that Andy Doyle just makes the move across to the rival station to stay on air.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Admittedly I wasn't at the game but it sounds as though our discipline cost us. I may be wrong but MMs Shrewsbury team had a poor record and in MMs post match interview he basically blamed the ref. It sounds like the ref was poor but Big Mac already on a booking got involved in something he shouldn't and Nors elbowed someone. I'm not for criticising our own players publicly but MM should come down hard on them. 2 experienced players should know better even if it was the first game of the season.

As for the formation, agree that Jennings best position is behind the front 2. Playing him out wide is again square pegs in round holes. From other forums it sounds like hughes was disappointing, slow paced and once again dinking in his corners.

Only one game but the likes of daggers and aldershot both won. U do wonder whether our club has a reputation amongst the referees and we are in part to blame for this with our discipline.

Again Only one game of course but MMs views on Cook clearly havent changed. MM keeps saying he'll change the players and system to fit the individual opposition but I'd prefer continuity. Every other team is laughing at us not playing cook

Player
Manager
John King
I am not one to be overly negative, but unless Cook starts on a regular basis we won't go up automatically. Leaving him out was ok (up to a point) when Stockton was here, but the other strikers we have now are not reliable enough to guarantee the number of wins we need.

Mellon needs to get a grip of the matter or it will ultimately cost him, and us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see what happens with Cook now. If he is picked and plays well, would he drop him to the bench once Norwood returns?

It will also be interesting to see the dynamic in defence with McNulty missing albeit only for one game.

I'm hoping Alabi can return 10+ a season or am I being optimistic?

Player
Manager
John King
I'm hoping Alabi can return 10+ a season or am I being optimistic?

I think he will easily get 15-20, but Cook is capable of scoring 30, as well as being a much better focal point for the team.