• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

think we got it bad

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Remember the day Aldo signed.
Long before internet as we know it now and social media was the Birkenhead News!
The whispers were that he'd been seen in the car park and we were glued to the radio to see what was going on.
£250k for Aldo and we're arguing the toss about Alabi for £10k.
Allowing for inflation that would put Alabi's fee, in Aldo's day, at around £2.50.
Rip off

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not a classic at Goodison yesterday. Huddersfield were the better side in the first half but did not have enough up front to trouble Everton. It was interesting to see Rooney in the flesh for the first, and probably the last, time.

Getting back on-topic, the most memorable moment of the afternoon was hearing the Huddersfield fans tell their opponents they were 'just a s**t Tranmere Rovers'. :p They obviously have not forgotten us completely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They are in serious trouble and we might have been living that nightmare if Palios hadn’t have stepped in as we were sinking faster than the TItanic.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Did anyone else see Mark Palios on this morning's BBC Breakfast? It was about technology in football and TRFC were not mentioned. However, he spoke well and I think the FA's loss was definitely our gain.

Player
Manager
John King
The TROSC banner with Palios's face on does make my stomach turn however. I don't think you should have the Chairman's face on a supporter banner. Just does not sit right with me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Pools current situation is fairly grim and I hope they get out of the mire.

I don’t object to a chairman’s picture ever being on a banner, though it is unusual. However, Palios’ time at the club has so far been coincided with an on-field disaster, dropping out of the league and only a slim chance of getting back at the third attempt. I do feel a bit uneasy with some of the things TROSC do, their committee seem to take a lot of decisions without reference to the membership.

Player
Manager
John King
Given that we don't have banners of any club legend other than Kingy, I find it strange that TROSC opted for a flag of somebody whose connection with the club is pretty tenuous and transient in the scheme of things. I think all supporters groups should be coolly critical of club owners and I get the impression TROSC are too close to the Paliosi.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given that we don't have banners of any club legend other than Kingy, I find it strange that TROSC opted for a flag of somebody whose connection with the club is pretty tenuous and transient in the scheme of things. I think all supporters groups should be coolly critical of club owners and I get the impression TROSC are too close to the Paliosi.
Whether his face should appear on banners is debatable, but describing Mark Palios's connection with the club as being tenuous and transient is unfair. He played for us for nine years in two spells with some distinction including a promotion and a starring role in the win at Arsenal. He has put a lot of his money and time into the club. Despite continuing problems, he has been in charge for three and a half years and still seems as committed as ever.

Player
Manager
John King
Whether his face should appear on banners is debatable, but describing Mark Palios's connection with the club as being tenuous and transient is unfair. He played for us for nine years in two spells with some distinction including a promotion and a starring role in the win at Arsenal. He has put a lot of his money and time into the club. Despite continuing problems, he has been in charge for three and a half years and still seems as committed as ever.
A lot of players have spent nine years with the club but have come nowhere near a banner. Bill Bothwell, Peter Johnson and Frank Corfe put a lot of time and money into the club, but have never appeared on a banner.

Palios has stabilised the club off the field, but that is all at this stage. Banners should be reserved for those that have made substantial contributions over time - as I said, Peter Johnson does not have one.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A lot of players have spent nine years with the club but have come nowhere near a banner. Bill Bothwell, Peter Johnson and Frank Corfe put a lot of time and money into the club, but have never appeared on a banner.

Palios has stabilised the club off the field, but that is all at this stage. Banners should be reserved for those that have made substantial contributions over time - as I said, Peter Johnson does not have one.
My argument was not related to banners. I only queried your "tenuous and transient" description, which I consider unfair.

Player
Manager
John King
My argument was not related to banners. I only queried your "tenuous and transient" description, which I consider unfair.
It probably is to be honest, but I do get wound up at times by the sycophantic attitude of some supporters towards Palios. As Boz pointed out, he has made errors since he has been here, as well as greatly advancing the club in other ways.

Club Chairmen by definition have a 'tenuous' relationship with the club because they are not here for life, unlike supporters. I think supporters need to be clear-eyed when it comes to Chairmen, however well-intentioned they might be.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It probably is to be honest, but I do get wound up at times by the sycophantic attitude of some supporters towards Palios. As Boz pointed out, he has made errors since he has been here, as well as greatly advancing the club in other ways.

Club Chairmen by definition have a 'tenuous' relationship with the club because they are not here for life, unlike supporters. I think supporters need to be clear-eyed when it comes to Chairmen, however well-intentioned they might be.
Sycophancy is not good for anyone. Interesting that in football it’s usually the players (Beckham, Rooney) or the managers (Ferguson, Mourinho) rather than the owners who are the target, but it is always misplaced. At an age when most people would be thinking of retirement, Palios was looking for a challenge and certainly never saw it as making a quick buck and moving on. I do believe he is committed for the long term. He deserves our support and even a bit of praise, but not blind allegiance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was always under the impression he came in to stabilise and after a few years was going to sell it on. Maybe he’s waiting for the jump back into the football league. He could be waiting a long time...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was always under the impression he came in to stabilise and after a few years was going to sell it on. Maybe he’s waiting for the jump back into the football league. He could be waiting a long time...
Yes, that's right. He even mentioned getting us into the Premier League, but that comment was a while ago! Obviously, he can't go on for ever, so he must be looking to sell at some stage. However, the Premier League comment led me to believe that he expected to be around for ten years rather than five.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'm sure that when the time comes he'll be ultra cautious over who he sells to as was PJ to his credit.
Unlike PJ though, I can't see MP letting the club slowly rot until a suitor is found.
I've got a lot of time for the Palios family. They have still to put our club back on the Football League map but couldn't do more to connect with the community and Wirral generally.

Player
Manager
John King
Unlike PJ though, I can't see MP letting the club slowly rot until a suitor is found.
I am not sure that is a fair statement to make. Palios has been here three years, whereas PJ was here for twenty seven. We don't know what Palios's attitude would be if he was still here in 10,15, 20 years time and unable to move the club on - or whether he would still be here. Even in the last couple of years PJ has been giving Palios financial support, which he is not obliged to.

For all his faults, Johnson refused to sell us to someone inappropriate well into his seventies, when he was due a retirement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For all his faults, Johnson refused to sell us to someone inappropriate well into his seventies, when he was due a retirement.
+1

Ultimately MP is a businessman and there has to be a profit at some point. If the good ship Tranmere continues to lanquish in the National League for years to come, I can't see him sticking around. What we can say about MP though is that at least he's doing great stuff in the community and is trying to raise the clubs profile again.

The last few years of PJ were terribly depressing as the club really was in freefall. We had a physio as a manger!!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'll happily fight PJ's corner for what he's done over a long period of time. If it were not for him we could well have gone out of existence.
But in the latter years he ran us on a shoe string to such an extent that the only way he could get out was to write off his 'debt'.
And fair do's, he did so and waited for the right successor. The likes of Stephen Vaughan got cold shrift thankfully.
But he is a very rich man and could probably buy MP ten times over. Proportionately, the financial risks to MP personally are greater.
PJ's interest would probably have better been served by staying on and asking MP and NP to join him and add some modern, business nouse?
I don't think you can reasonably envisage what MP would be like after twenty odd years. Except perhaps in Landican.