• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

think we got it bad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
PJ's interest would probably have better been served by staying on and asking MP and NP to join him and add some modern, business nouse?
I think PJ had got to a point were he just wanted out. I don't think he was in the greatest health at the time and he certainly wasn't getting any younger. He'd been trying to sell for years. As we were in such free fall, I don't think he was bowled over with offers.

Player
aldo
Pj his daughter was one of the main reasons for wye he wonted out . Ive known mr johnson s family . They live mainly abroad now . As far as I know not seen them for years.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pj his daughter was one of the main reasons for wye he wonted out . Ive known mr johnson s family . They live mainly abroad now . As far as I know not seen them for years.

PJ has lived in Switzerland for several years

Player
aldo
Yes his daughter was someone who has eaten in restaurant i worked in got to know them when i worked for her dad . Àn Corfe

Player
aldo
Its looking like chester are in trouble financially . Bye reading through the lines of it they could be gone in 12 months . Now I know that there fans dont like us . But i dont wont them going to the wall eva . Sutch a shame . Love are matches with em .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed AM. Rivalries are healthy :) I don’t want to see any lower league club in trouble. Not a good situation for anyone to be honest.

drwhoman

Non league football is struggling generally partly due to urbanisation, the impact of TV, and a number of social factors. Fans in Chester are more likely to support the Liverpool or Manchester teams rather than their local club. if I have not mentioned it before, 'On the Brink' A Journey through English Football's North West is worth a read. Written by Simon Hughes of the Guardian, it includes in depth look at many clubs in the region including Rovers. The North East is no different. Hartlepool are struggling, I see today a prospective investor has pulled out, Darlington failed a few years ago and the exploits of teams like Bishop Auckland, Blyth Spartans and Spennymore Utd are history. To compound things the local fans do not have much to shout about at senior level with only Newcastle in the Premier League and whether they will avoid relegation is open to question.

joe

Agree. However you do wonder why they support the big teams which is pretty much unaffordable. I constantly say to people with kids to get them down to Rovers to see a match. They don their kids out in LFC/EFC kits but can't afford to take them to the matches. When I tell them its £2 at the Rovers, they don't quite believe it but still wont go! Crazy.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice to see Ronnie has thrown his hat into the ring to help Hartlepool out - bet their current manager is very grateful!!

Player
aldo
Chester need 2100 to break even. And are averaging around 1400 . Talk of 100k lost this season to a small club like them thats terrible should give us 2000 for are game we would sell em an help them out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hartlepool seem to have been fleeced by some dubious characters and their finances are so bad, that a local businessman who looked into taking over had no idea about the extent of their debt. Sadly for them, it looks like following the way of Hereford etc, liquidation and re-forming near the bottom of the Pyramid.

Chester seem to be in a situation more of their own making. Giving McCarthy a long-term deal then getting rid, having a Chief Executive until this week on £50k, over-optimistic crowd expectations. When you compare with Wrexham, both are Trust-run, but our Welsh rivals seem to be managing things much more efficiently.

Hope both can turn things round eventually.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Chester's major problem seems to be apathy among the local public. You would think as a trust run club, involved in the local community, they could attract crowds of more than 1,500. Without outside investment, no club will be sustainable at this level on crowds of that size. By contrast, Wrexham's support has held up well, even in seasons when they have struggled.

Last edited:

drwhoman

I can remember Chester having a good team in the 60s but have not done much since while Rovers have had a decent recent record which many fans remember and hence the good support. Chester is only a run along the M56 to Liverpool and so why bother with an unsuccessful local team? Wrexham is further away and Stoke are the nearest PL side. More incentive to stay local with maybe a little Welsh nationalism thrown in!

Player
Manager
John King
I think Wrexham is a working class, traditional football town like Birkenhead, whereas Chester is not. Competition from the Liverpool and Manchester clubs would not affect Chester any more than the other north west teams. Chester's best side was probably in the early to mid seventies when they were at the top end of Division Three and reached a League Cup semi final. Since then, they had reasonable success under Harry McNally in the eighties but their crowds remained relatively poor.

Player
Manager
John King
I believe Chester changed their name to Chester City in about 1983. They continued in that guise until 2010 when Stephen Vaughan put the club out of business. The current phoenix club, Chester FC, was then formed by supporters.

Player
aldo
Chester to reduce there budget from £450k to £250k next season. . They could be out of money bye the end of feb or early march .. all of there players on 2yr contracts to be moved on an there's abt 6 of em . They need to raise £80 _ 90k a month just to keep running .. they are in the sh#$%t . Alibi s tribunal is 15 fed .