the world cup are you gonna watch

1 Aug 2017
Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I think the games fell kindly for us after defeat to Belgium whether it be good fortune which I believe to be the case rather than cunning manipulation. Either way, I’d never have predicted a semi final for sure but equally not the path to get there. No right or wrong in this debate I believe, I was concerned about the defence pre-tournament & the lack of non set play goals during it but Southgate I agree maxed out our potential.

15 Mar 2010
Player
Jason Koumas
Regardless of the opposition, I don't think I have seen an England team play as well in a tournament in my lifetime, other than perhaps Euro 96.

It was what we did as a team that was impressive, irrespective of the opponent. We had a clear pattern of play, passing out from the back, and were tactically sophisticated, with the 352 formation. The England teams in the past did not have that, even those that had more glamorous individuals. Even at Italia 90 we played in straight lines in a rigid 442, and a lot of the performances in that tournament were very scratchy. This time around we played well in every game, bar the weakened side that played Belgium and the second half against Croatia. It is the first England side I have seen with a real identity.

A lot of the younger players also visibly improved as the tournament progressed, and if they are not stars now, some of them will be in the future. That is what made it so enjoyable.

15 Mar 2010
Player
Jason Koumas
I should also add that it is never an easy route to a World Cup semi-final.

Sweden had beaten Italy (over two legs) and France in the last few months, and finished ahead of Germany in the group stages, yet we despatched them comfortably.

Columbia have appeared in Copa America finals recently.

In 2016 we were knocked out by Iceland, so the progress in two years is obvious.

1 Aug 2017
Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I hear ya but would still have expected us to win the games we did. Southgate is willing to learn from other more forward thinking sports such as the NFL & for this I give him kudos by way of his acceptance to embrace new methodology etc, along with his excellent man management skills which were a breath of fresh air!

Ian

Super White!
21 Sep 2005
Player
Aldo
England were expected to do nothing at this World Cup regardless of the opposition. Expectations were so low, there was serious doubt we would make it through to the last 16.

You just can’t win sometimes. The team make it through to the semis yet we played poor opposition and it was an easy route through :rolleyes:

15 Mar 2010
Player
Jason Koumas
I am in France at the moment, which is a bittersweet experience. There have been incredible seems here in the last two days, with the whole country going berserk following their victory. At least I know what happens when a country wins the World Cup now..........

Ian

Super White!
21 Sep 2005
Player
Aldo
I am in France at the moment, which is a bittersweet experience. There have been incredible seems here in the last two days, with the whole country going berserk following their victory. At least I know what happens when a country wins the World Cup now..........
I don't quite get the celebrations. They are happy then they are rioting and looting too?!

Have you got your England shirt on RLC?