• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well let's hope it works out and he improves us over the Xmas period.

drwhoman

I always thought Wallace was a good player when he was with us previously. We did well to get him direct from Everton and I had no problem with him subsequently wanting to better his career. After all, is this not what home grown players are doing when they leave Rovers? Why should he have been different? Anyway, all history now. He has clearly had a lot of injury problems which has stalled his career but he is only 24. As has been said previously, we have him for six weeks. If it all works out and he helps us stay in the mix then great. If not then we have not lost much. A bit like any loan player I suppose. Whether he stays afterwards only time will tell.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he stays fit which I think is a big if we've got a really good player at this level, far too good for the national legue in all honesty but MM knows this and will play him at every given opportunity. I think this Xmas period is crucial for giving us a commanding position to take into the second half of the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only rumours but rovers apparently in talks with ex player Antony Kay.

I always think of that great centre mid pairing of him and Jenno and Kay got a few goals.

Currently with league 1 Bury who got him in the summer from MK. Bury had a great start to the season but have since plummeted and sacked David Flitcroft.

Seems unlikely that he'd come to us but changes afoot at the Shakers with a certain Ryan Lowe offered a coaching position there. Perhaps cover for Maynard depending on his injury.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, and apparently all the ex-Rovers players are just a coincidence. Don't think we need any more midfielders. We've still got the two Jennings to come back.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would guess we would be signing him as a centre back where we don't have much cover. I don't think Kay has played in midfield at all since he left us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kay's better games for Rovers were from midfield. Would like to see Evan Gumbs given a game at Wrexham but with 5 players who can play central defence already at the club would wonder about the merits of this.

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I would not make many changes at Wrexham as we need to keep the winning run going ahead of the Lincoln game. I would play Wallace and Dawson, start Cook and Norwood, and rest Tollitt, but leave everything else alone. But that is for the pre-match thread.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Kay's better games for Rovers were from midfield. Would like to see Evan Gumbs given a game at Wrexham but with 5 players who can play central defence already at the club would wonder about the merits of this.
I agree. I don't think Kay would add much and at 34 he is probably even slower than he was eight years ago when he last played for us. However, if Mickey knows better ....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess speed isn't everything at this level. McNulty is a fine example. He'd do well because of the quality factor.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I guess speed isn't everything at this level. McNulty is a fine example. He'd do well because of the quality factor.
Absolutely, Ian. But you don't want two such players as your centre-backs and I doubt Kay would come just to be understudy to Big Mac.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Two big lumps at the back. Sounds about right for the national league !

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I'm sure at 34 Kay wouldn't want to come to a club and sit on the bench. We have the best defensive record in the league so arguably don't need him. Big Mac / Sutton have been great and we have Ihikwe as back up or worst case Maynard could do a job there.

Probably an unsubstantiated rumour.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Looks like we are going to sign Tollitt on a permanent transfer very shortly

Player
Manager
John King
If we do get him, it will be the signing of the season for us. He is absolutely vital to the way we play under Mellon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent news.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When someone moves on loan, fans are never told whether the parent club wants to give him first team experience at a lower level or they just want him off the books. It's often difficult to guess. Clearly Portsmouth had a permanent move in mind. Otherwise, after such a successful spell, why would they not want him back? I suspect Ben may have found it difficult to settle in Hampshire. Whatever the reason, I'd be delighted if he stayed. Wide men with pace, ability on the ball and shooting accuracy are rare, especially in the National League.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think RLC makes a very good point, he's pretty integral to our squad and system that we play. I also think these upcoming, young players would slowly start to push out some of the older guys such as Steve Jennings who I can't see fitting into the team at this moment of time. I think even Connor will struggle to make a claim if you have players like Wallace sitting on the bench. Certainly a nice headache to have!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Two and a half year deal! Didn't see that one coming. Great news.
Just shows we still have some pulling power.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news. Must be partly due to him not having his greatest game against York when Paul Cook was in the stands!

I still think his best position is wide in a 4-4-2 instead of head of a diamond as his best asset i.e. pace gets restricted - but trust Micky to get the best out of him.

Having only signed Dawson permanently fairly recently you would think we would look to offload one of Mekki or Almond especially as Micky likes Kirby plus Connor J is due to return. Stephenson out on loan of course.