• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't recall him being a particularly creative player during his previous spell.

The jury is out on this signing, but I think Wallace was creative, which is why he was such a good player. He had a bit of everything. He was definitely capable of a defence splitting pass and weighed in with a few goals as well.

We might actually need a left back for Tuesday night, as Ridehalgh has pulled his hamstring.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agree with RLC's assessment of Wallace. He did get things wrong but he never went missing in a game. It was his bravery in a challenge that got him injured.
Do I want him back? Probably not, but I'm happy to back Mickey's judgment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC's assessment of Wallace. He did get things wrong but he never went missing in a game. It was his bravery in a challenge that got him injured.
Do I want him back? Probably not, but I'm happy to back Mickey's judgment.
But will we get anything like that now? Given his injury history it would only be human to swerve challenges he might have got stuck into in his prime. My positive memory of Wallace is as a box to box midfielder who chipped in with a few goals. Don't remember the creativity particularly, but probably down to my diminishing brain cells. My fear, another Hume/Koumas mark 2

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
My comments about him Boz were past tense and I entirely share your reservations about his potential impact on the pitch.
You can be sure that Danny Holmes will get a greeting next Saturday decibels higher than any for Wallace.
I could be well off beam but my gut reaction is that Wallace will see himself as some big time charlie returning to 'sort us out'.
No thank you....but as I say, we have to trust Mickey.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it is a bit harsh to make those kind of assumptions about Wallace. I am sure he is just desperate to play some football again after enduring a torrid few years.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Well let's hope he knows some decent welders, joiners etc to repair those bridges that he left semi alight.
If it's announced on Monday, let's see what he has to say.
Please, he's only on a pay as you play contract.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think you're right Cowshed Kid, the manner of his leaving and in particular remarks made post-departure have created a rift with many in the fan-base, in a way perhaps only Ryan Lowe surpasses. Most understood his time with us was only a step up the ladder en route to 'better things' Wallace plays in an area where we're not going to be short of players, so should not be displacing those unless the current James Wallace is fit enough and better than them. He also needs to show some contrition for his previous ill-judged remarks.

Player
Manager
John King
I actually heard the interview with Matt Jones where Wallace made the 'controversial remarks', and they did not particularly offend me. He said he would have gone to a bigger club sooner had they come in for him. Naive, yes. However, any player with ambition wants to play at the highest level possible and Rovers have 'poached' plenty of players from smaller clubs at this level in the last eighteen months. Andy Cook, for example, said he would only leave Barrow for a league club, yet turned up at Prenton Park. I have not noticed many Rovers supporters getting exasperated about that.

Wallace should purely be judged by what he does, or doesn't do, on the pitch in my view. I don't have major concerns that he will disrupt the side, as Micky won't carry passengers and if he does not perform he won't feature. Even if he plays a few games then disappears it won't necessarily cause major disruption, as the team has changed from week to week under Mellon anyway, with no loss of consistency.

Reactions: Mal

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I remember him being quite a creative player who could play a defence splitting pass. Excellent control and good reading of the game. In this regard an excellent player to have at this level.

Bit risky but it might pay off. Will be very interesting to see how he's played and who'll be making way.

Ultimately I'll go with CK and say let's trust in Micky.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure what the fuss is about. Can't do any harm. People talk about building bridges but the squad is unrecognisable from the last time he was here as is the owner and manager. Some of the fans may not be happy but as RLC says, most footballers, like people in most jobs, want to better themselves and earn more.

I'm sure whatever the arrangement it wouldnt be costing us much and if it doesn't work out, let him loose. If it does it could help our promotion push.

As with others though I'll be amazed if physically he's up to the demands of the game given his history.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
MM said the new signing will excite us.

Dale Jennings?!??

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't remember exactly what Wallace said, but if limited to what RLC states above then I'd agree not particularly contentious.

I would hope that any arrangement would allow a notice period, so that if he does prove his fitness then he's got to stay with us for a few games. I don't want to see Rovers become like a convalescent point for injured players to recover fitness with us then immediately move on. Players who he deposes from the squad would need time to regain fitness and morale.

So if a fit to play Wallace signs, where will he be played and who will he replace? Given the doubts about how strong he'll be in the challenge post-injury, initially a central midfield slot is out. Most probably at the front of a diamond or as the player behind the front pair. However, I wouldn't want to see him picked instead of Tollit before Ben's loan expires and would want Connor Jennings to get a chance playing in reputedly his best position; the hole when his impending fitness permits.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it might take a few weeks for Wallace to be established in the team with maybe some sub apps to start by which time Tollitt loan will have expired. Then we have CJ to return so good competition for places.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wallace (not Gromit) joins on loan until 8th January.

A good decision I think by the club as he's essentially on trial with us over a busy period. If he can't hack it then we send him back in January and move on. We are short in the middle with Jenno still absent and Harris/Hughes always liked to pick up bookings.

Can't do any harm. It'll be interesting though if he gets in the starting eleven. He's only with us for 6 weeks or so. Surely MM won't want him on the bench and James will want to prove himself. Yet the likes of Dawson can't get in the starting 11 at the moment due to the form of others and the team in general. We are winning games so he can't walk straight into the team.

As ever interesting times - especially if Connor J is ready soon. Some would say a new left back may have better with Liam injured (don't know how long for), unless MM feels Hughes can do a job there hence freeing up Wallace.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Feel happier knowing that, initially, it's only until Jan. That gives all concerned a chance to see how it pans out and as Sparky says if it ain't working then off he pops.
Let's hope he can contribute something.

Player
Manager
John King
Nothing much to add to Sparky's comments above. I hope it works out for both parties and we get a very good player.

M

Mal

I think Micky is the best manager we have had since King. That is, he is astute and knows how to try and change things tactically, whilst having an attacking mindset. He must have decided Wallace could do a job, so we will see if his judgment works out. He clearly is able to motivate so maybe we will see an improved Wallace.