• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
ian goodison
spot on MH as long as we stay up I,ll be quite happy FGR struggled last season and now seem to have gotten to grips with the league, palios saying we had such a budget and is aiming for promotion this season has given some fans an unrealistic outlook

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Incremental & realistic progress is what it’s all about rather than week to week promotional nonsense. For sure, encourage positive news where appropriate but don’t over hype expectation as it’s rarely worked favourably!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In terms of the playing squad, I'm not sure what else MM can do. He's on a limited budget, is trying to improve the squad whilst getting rid of players that are not going to drive us forward. I think Micky had made another good recruitment in Kieron Morris. I think he has a lot of quality at this level. Then you've got to fit these players into a team, make them gel whilst still getting results. I think we just have to be patient.

It seems people are quick to jump down his throat when we get beat or make a poor signing. Like I say, we are improving steadily and I think this year had been a good year. Considering where we were three years ago.. Does anyone realistically expect Rovers to be fighting for promotion in their first year back in the league with our budget and limitations?

While I don't want to write the season off as there are plenty of games to go, I'd be happy with a top ten/mid table finish and then some more improvement to help us build for a challenge next season. I'm confident MM is the man to do this. Let's get behind him!

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
TBH I still harbour reservations about MM's recruitment capabilities and focus as to me we are crying out for better defenders as we have now been found out big time after our great start to the season. Instead we are bringing in more wingers/ midfielders. I agree however that given we are newly promoted we are behind the curve in terms of recruitment as we had to wait until we had got some L2 payments whereas others could recruit over last Summer. MM could do little about that.
The reality is that we are realistically looking (if we have the money) at wholesale squad changes. The players who could be suitable IMO for a Promotion push/ L1 are limited in my view to Norwood, Jennings, Banks, Gilmour (assuming he develops), Perkins, Pringle, Miller (if he stays fit), Morris and debateably Davies. A completely new first choice backline therefore is needed in my book. Whether we have the money for that or not I have no way of knowing.

Player
Norwood
TBH I still harbour reservations about MM's recruitment capabilities and focus as to me we are crying out for better defenders as we have now been found out big time after our great start to the season. Instead we are bringing in more wingers/ midfielders. I agree however that given we are newly promoted we are behind the curve in terms of recruitment as we had to wait until we had got some L2 payments whereas others could recruit over last Summer. MM could do little about that.
The reality is that we are realistically looking (if we have the money) at wholesale squad changes. The players who could be suitable IMO for a Promotion push/ L1 are limited in my view to Norwood, Jennings, Banks, Gilmour (assuming he develops), Perkins, Pringle, Miller (if he stays fit), Morris and debateably Davies. A completely new first choice backline therefore is needed in my book. Whether we have the money for that or not I have no way of knowing.

I agree, though without being disrespectful I cannot understand why MacNulty and Buxton haven't been told/helped to lose weight. They both have the ability, but are two yards behind when it goes over them. They would be like new signings, and it is odd how this has not been addressed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McNulty has lost a hell of a lot of weight over the few years we’ve had him. He was massive when we signed him! He will never be quick. I would agree though that looking ahead and wanting to improve we need quicker defenders as the pace and movement up front becomes more intense at higher levels. You can even see the difference in some of the top teams in this division.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A defender!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Former millwall youth team captain and has been on loan and played a bit at Swindon this season already but didn’t play at PP last week.

6 foot 1 and gives us some cover with Sutton gone. You do wonder if for the first time in his SWA career Big Mac
isn’t first choice....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There is not a magic player tree we can pick from whenever we choose. We can only recruit players when they are available, and they are often unavailable for a whole host of reasons. I would guess we have brought in creative players in this window because we are able to sign individuals of the right quality and price, and because they might not have been free in the summer. If there were no defenders available that would improve the squad, it is right that we did not bring bodies in for the sake of it. The recruitment process we are going through is exactly what Lincoln and FGR did in the last couple of years. Even when it is complete, some of our supporters need a reality check. We have a wage budget of £1.8 million, compared to several other clubs with a budget of £3 million plus. There is no guarantee that we will be promoted in the next few years, and if we aren't it doesn't necessarily mean that Mellon and Palios have 'failed'.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
We are only 'crying out' for defenders now because the midfield issues are starting to be addressed. A few weeks ago, when we had Harris, DMH and Tollitt in the side, we were equally desperate for midfielders and wide men.

ADD

Player
Norwood
There is not a magic player tree we can pick from whenever we choose. We can only recruit players when they are available, and they are often unavailable for a whole host of reasons. I would guess we have brought in creative players in this window because we are able to bring individuals of the right quality and price, and because they might not have been free in the summer. If there were no defenders available that would improve the squad , it is right that we did not bring bodies in for the sake of it. The recruitment process we are going through is exactly what Lincoln and FGR did in the last couple of years. Even when it is complete, some of our supporters need a reality check. We have a wage budget of £1.8 million, compared to several other clubs with a budget of £3 million plus. There is no guarantee that we will be promoted in the next few years, and if we aren't it doesn't necessarily meant that Mellon and Palios have 'failed'.
RLC - please reread my post - I said we are behind the curve as we are newly promoted so had less money to spend and I also said I had no idea if we had enough money to replace the back 4 so at least I am spared the reality check accusation:)

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Great news, gives us options and hopefully freshen the back line up a bit. I am happy with Caprice or Buxton at right back, but our left back area is a real concern. Ridehalgh isnt good enough. The Cheltenham and Mansfield forwards had very easy games against him and he was caught out too many times, having to make fouls in dangerous areas.

Such a shame that Eddie Clarke didnt stick around, as he looked like the sort of player who could play that wing back type role in a 5, and also play in a 4. It would be great to see Zoom get back to his early season form, however that looks like it may be a tough ask.

Player
Manager
John King
Sounds like Nelson was a bit of a cult hero at Swindon. He is out of contract in the summer, so there is s possibility of a permanent deal as well. Some of the Millwall fans think he should still be in their team, which is encouraging.

Player
Norwood
McNulty has lost a hell of a lot of weight over the few years we’ve had him. He was massive when we signed him! He will never be quick. I would agree though that looking ahead and wanting to improve we need quicker defenders as the pace and movement up front becomes more intense at higher levels. You can even see the difference in some of the top teams in this division.
Crikey, I didn't really notice, though have just googled some older pics and you are right. Still, if that was my job, I think I'd manage to trim up even more if it helped my knees. He's got a good touch, and has been solid for us.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
We’re getting there piece by piece, yes loanees but hopefully those who fulfill expectation may stay a little longer. Just a replacement centre forward required now in the Miller mould I guess!

Player
aldo
yes very happy with young sid we needed that hope he will help steady the ship can see big steve getting a seat for the next few games . matt jones has said a forward is comming in just have to wait and see it cant be a loan as i think we are at the limit .

Player
Manager
John King
The players who could be suitable IMO for a Promotion push/ L1 are limited in my view to Norwood, Jennings, Banks, Gilmour (assuming he develops), Perkins, Pringle, Miller (if he stays fit), Morris and debateably Davies.
I would actually agree with all of those, but would add that we should definitely offer Smith a permanent deal in the summer, and we would obviously want to extend Monthe's contract. I also think Caprice is good enough to be here in the longer term, because of his attacking qualities in a back five.

With regard to the rest of the defence, I would probably offer Buxton another year depending on who is available in the summer. Nelson will also hopefully prove to be a good signing and stay permanently. I don't think either of the current left backs are good enough.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I would actually agree with all of those, but would add that we should definitely offer Smith a permanent deal in the summer, and we would obviously want to extend Monthe's contract. I also think Caprice is good enough to be here in the longer term, because of his attacking qualities in a back five.

With regard to the rest of the defence, I would probably offer Buxton another year depending on who is available in the summer. Nelson will also hopefully prove to be a good signing and stay permanently. I don't think either of the current left backs are good enough.
Smith you are right - I had assumed he would be going back, Monthe probably yes - Caprice I get your point if we do play 5 at the back but I feel if we get the defence right then MM will play 442 and Caprice is then exposed as his defending is poor.
Sid Nelson sounds from what I am reading to be a great acquisition - even if Milwall do offer him a new contract which is probably likely it will be great to see for the rest of this season how a CB with pace will transform our defence.... here's hoping anyhow!!