• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are just looking at him in training. If don't think it is anything to be concerned about. Players like Akammadu, Williams and this bloke are just wild cards; cheap signings where it is great if they are a success, and no great loss if they are not.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
We are just looking at him in training. If don't think it is anything to be concerned about. Players like Akammadu, Williams and this bloke are just wild cards; cheap signings where it is great if they are a success, and no great loss if they are not.
Worth a punt I suppose given his pedigree and unlikely to be a big hit to the budget. Hope he turns out to be decent enough to supplement the central defence. Seems to have chipped in with the odd goal at previous clubs.

Player
Manager
John King
See my comment on the Mansfield threat regarding the suggestion Micky and Richie had a big fall-out.
I am not certain that is actually true to be honest. For example, the Cook falling out was public knowledge for ages whereas the Sutton story has come out of nowhere. But who knows.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve no idea of it’s accuracy either. However Sutton fell out with Brabin and is educated to degree level. Could imagine him standing his ground in any argument.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I thought it very strange that he moved as he did - so maybe there was something there - even more of a shame if true as we could do with him now

Player
Manager
John King
In the long term I don't think Sutton is good enough for a promotion chasing team, regardless of the circumstances of his departure.

ADD

Player
Norwood
RLC and Keep the Faith - in reality you are both right - he is not noticeably better (or worse) than the other defenders we currently have. Having lost his place and IF there had been an argument about it with MM then it makes sense he would look to go ASAP and he got an extra year from Morecambe. The reality in my book is that Manny is perhaps the only defender we have that is good enough to be playing for a promotion chasing side next year. That said, if he was here now I would likely be selecting him and Manny as CB's on Saturday so in my book we have a fractionally worse back line whatever the reason for his departure.

Player
aldo
the lad we have training with us is 31 not 45 its a different player with the same sounding name . with stevvvvvvv getting subbed the last few games . makes you wonder if . its the end of the road for him teams are playing to his weakness and think mm might be thinking the same .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don’t think Steve has lost his pace - he’s never had any!

It may be that with his style he can only play well every week up to a certain level which may well be the national league. Surprised the likes of Salford haven’t come in and offered him something just to get them up

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I agree that there is little to choose between Sutton and Ellis, neither of them or in all probability McNulty in the current phase of his career are likely to cut it at L1 level.

Player
ian goodison
seems we have signed Kieron morris on loan from Walsall a midfielder cum winger according to the other forum

Player
Manager
John King
he ,s no worse than than the players MM is picking since he left us
Which in itself would still not be a reason to hold on to him.

Manny is clearly better than Sutton. Defensively there is not much to choose between Ritchie, Buxton and Ellis. However, Ellis is more mobile and Buxton is more skilful which is probably why Mellon preferred to keep them.

Boz is right to say that most of the current defenders would not cut it at a higher level, but in a sense that is the whole point of the transfer. We are moving out players who are not good enough in the long term and replacing them, and that can't be done overnight. It is a gradual process and players will come and go in the next couple of years. You can query the merits of certain individuals, but broadly it is the correct strategy.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Yep, another midfielder/winger brought in.
Got to say I'm head scratching at that one.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we could still do with another wide option, particularly if he is quick. While we need to strengthen up front and at the back, those players are not necessarily available at this time. At least, not the ones of the quality that we need.

drwhoman

He has made 26 appearances in L1 this season so clearly Keates has some time for him. An experienced player which is good.

Player
aldo
if im right . when mm was in his last season at shrewsbury . he had loads of midfilders . and he liked getting them . we have been screaming for more creative in the centre of the park so if they do it who cares we need another defender and a forward in now then lets move on

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Sounds like a lot of appearances were from the bench this season but highly thought of there. As he signs we tweet a goal he scores with the caption this is what we hope for. Obviously the Palioli rightly go after ever promo opportunity as a money generator for the club but this equally heaps on expectation towards MM & the players. I often think this is where the fault line has been this season between decades old fans like me & the newbies or casuals who believe in the hype. My belief is in incremental improvement which our current regime is achieving. I just feel that sometimes the club’s promo on social media can be disadvantageous when delivering certain comments. Keep it informative but exclude the Solar Campus collaborative video to music prior to the Mansfield game maybe?