• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Good news about Mellon staying until May 2021, but not sure it needed the hype of a press conference

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ben Pringle doesn’t seem to be viewed as a great loss by Grimsby fans. The positive is that he’s good at set-pieces, but lacks pace. Can play wide left but more often in central midfield. Bit puzzled at his recruitment given we’ve signed Perkins and Gilmour already.

Player
ian goodison
fair comment but does he deserve a 2.5yr extension? our player recruitment at times seems a lot of hit & miss

drwhoman

Time will tell with Pringle but he seems to be very experienced (aged 29) unlike some of the younger unproven loanees we have had in the past. I imagine MM has a better sense of what he might offer. I hope it is positive. It may be as well that the pool of prospective loanees is shrinking as the end of the window approaches.

drwhoman

We will see with the length of MM’s contract but I am not sure we want him being tempted to go elsewhere if someone
were to come with a similar offer. At aged 46 he probably wants stability of employment. We can put hope that as our finances improve the club can be more measured in its player recruitment. As has been said, there have been some duds amongst some good signings!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can picture Pringle having seen him a few times in his Rotherham days.

He’s not your typical winger I.e small and quick. He’s quite tall and not the quickest but does our decent delivery in.

If only we had a decent target man who could benefit as altho miller is injured, he’s never been a player who scores many headers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
does he deserve a 2.5yr extension? our player recruitment at times seems a lot of hit & miss
The man who got us promoted out of that dreadful league. Too right he does! You can pick out individual signings but everyone manager has hits and misses. I don't believe we would get anyone better than MM at this moment of time to take us forward.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ben Pringle doesn’t seem to be viewed as a great loss by Grimsby fans. The positive is that he’s good at set-pieces, but lacks pace. Can play wide left but more often in central midfield. Bit puzzled at his recruitment given we’ve signed Perkins and Gilmour already.
Pringle is a quality player. He was a key player for Rotherham when they won back to back promotions. I agree we don't really need another midfielder, but I think this a case of getting a good player in while he is still available. It also suggests Harris may be on his way out fairly soon.

Player
Manager
John King
Good news about Mellon staying until May 2021, but not sure it needed the hype of a press conference
I don't see why not. It is a good news story - for most of us anyway - and Palios has always valued communication with the supporters.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Never said it wasn't a good news story....for ALL of us. And yes Palios is good at communicating with the fans but calling a Press Conference to announce a contract extension was, in my humble opinion, a bit over the top.

drwhoman

I respect your view frenchrover but your comments beg the question as to when does a Manager deserve a press conference? I am sure that we would all be very happy if, for example, James Norwood was signing a new contract at one.So why not the Manager who has helped him to get where he is? Anyway, he has signed so let us see how we go. I suspect the Spurs money has given M & N P the confidence to offer MM a longer term contract. Our greatest ever Manager, Johnny King, who, as an aside, was also a former player, probably had one, although I am not certain of the facts. I am sure one or two fellow bloggers will know the answer in this latter regard!

drwhoman

I suppose this all pales into insignificance when you read about the poor young man who thought he was going to sign for Cardiff for 15m being lost in a plane over the Channel Islands. Very very sad for everyone involved.

Player
Manager
John King
The extension of the manager's contract also allows Palios and Mellon to talk about the long term, rather than just going from game to game, which Micky does in his regular press meetings.

Agreeing terms with Mellon is a significant event, particularly when you consider what has happened to our friends over the Welsh border in the last couple of seasons. Mellon would be sought after by other clubs at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky's contract extension has to be seen as a positive in that he must be reasonably confident the Palioi can deliver the resources he feels he needs to improve the club. It also gives us greater stability and reduces the risk of Micky being poached by another club as RLC indicates.

Personally would have deferred the announcement until the close of the transfer window, as some would have been expecting player related news when the press conference was called today.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Let's face it, this club's two most important assets are Nors and Micky. Everyone else would be easier to replace. So tying down MM is a coup. Surely the manager should have a longer contract than any of the players so he can confidently plan for the future. Most of the activity so far this year has looked short term, so I'm very pleased. If we can nail Nors, that would be amazing, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm excited by the signing of Pringle. I'm told he's not very tall but is a good jumper ;) and now I'm expecting a crisp finish to all our moves. ;) ;)

Player
Manager
John King
Micky's contract extension has to be seen as a positive in that he must be reasonably confident the Palioi can deliver the resources he feels he needs to improve the club. .
A very good point Boz. Mellon would not commit to the club if he did not think he would be backed financially; his comments in pre-season make that clear.

He has had healthy budgets wherever he has worked, and has delivered success.