• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
we really have to get away from always wanting our ex players back
This is something that has bugged me for years.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Completely agree and sorry but I just don't get all this nonsense. He left to play L1 football and got a 2 year contract. He has done ok/ well so far and is Walsall's leading scorer. Why on earth would Walsall want to release him on that basis and why on earth would he even consider a move himself. Makes no sense to me whatsoever... we really have to get away from always wanting our ex players back and focus on bringing in or better still developing players who can improve the squad.
You wouldn't rip up your season ticket if Cook came back though ADD;)
Fwiw, I'd agree it's very unlikely.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Mrs Palios dropping all sorts of hints about Norwood on Twitter tonight. Think it might be the wine!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Completely agree and sorry but I just don't get all this nonsense. He left to play L1 football and got a 2 year contract. He has done ok/ well so far and is Walsall's leading scorer. Why on earth would Walsall want to release him on that basis and why on earth would he even consider a move himself. Makes no sense to me whatsoever... we really have to get away from always wanting our ex players back and focus on bringing in or better still developing players who can improve the squad.

Supposedly his wife is unsettled in the area

Player
aldo
at least mp has said there is money for mm to get players in . witch is good as long as they are right . and improve the team we already have . . happy new year lets get ready for that trfc ride again .........

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Supposedly his wife is unsettled in the area
If that's true, it might make sense, although Walsall is not that far from Birkenhead, although I don't know where the Cooks lived for the past two years. If Walsall reluctantly let Andy go, they would not want him to go to a League One rival.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
'His wife is unsettled', Is this the wife that he's met in the last 6-9months and gotten married to as he was single at Rovers. Nors would always take him to training and tweet that he wish he'd find a girlfriend to drive him to work himself.

It's not a million miles away even though he's done well with the step up that he may well want to come back with friends who he knows who seem to be doing well and he knows he'd get more money than what he was on when last here.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You could argue Cook has performed even better than Norwood, stepping up two levels and scoring every other game in an average team.

Similarly Josh Ginnelly who has left to join championship Preston for an undisclosed fee after impressing in league 1.

Micky confirmed post match he is looking to improve the squad and it sounded positive on that front .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good luck to Josh. What a shame we didn't sign him. We've helped so many players rescue their careers but often they have left us as soon as they could.

BTW, did anything happen to the thug who felled him with a bottle at Wembley? Boreham Wood were lucky to get away with no action.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
To be honest, I did not think Ginnelly really looked interested here other than the play off matches. Clearly a talented player but he probably thought he should have been playing at a higher level.

drwhoman

I think Preston paid around 500k for Ginnelly so outside our range anyway. Amazing to think that we paid a similar sum for John Aldridge albeit twenty odd years ago.

drwhoman

Walsall have replaced him with Matt Jarvis on loan from Norwich. A pretty decent winger in his time who has played in the Premier League. Been injured a lot recently so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC, Ginnelly was patchy for us, though recall he played well in the play-off semi with Ebbsfleet. He’d been on loan to Lincoln the previous season but didn’t get much game time with them. However the move to Walsall seems to have worked well for him.

Drwhoman, think we only paid around half that amount for Aldo; much better value :)!!

Player
ian goodison
on the other forum it said we got a bigger fee up front instead of a bigger sell on fee, but could be just speculation