• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

ADD

Player
Norwood
The problem with all of this is if we don't sell him now assuming there are genuine offers then we will have potentially a disgruntled player whose form may well suffer as a result plus he will anyhow refuse a new contract and leave anyway at the end of the season when we would earn absolutely nothing. Personally whilst I don't like the idea of us being a selling club we need to stabilise the finances and if we can get a decent fee of say at least £200k plus sell ons then we should bite the bullet and do the deal.... Gilmour to me looked solid in pre- season and I was surprised he didn't start Saturday. I also understand we can bring in loan players to end of the month so there is scope for that as well to bolster the team?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think he will go - given Shrew seem confident and I haven't seen any statement from the top brass. Big loss and still no sign of another striker - on a positive it is good to hear Gilmour may look mare than a squad player.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
There is that or that we've got a player who's been injured and willing to crack on when he's available for selection again.

We'll see which it is but i doubt even if there were some truth in the, yes rumours as nothing has come out from either club, that he wouldn't still just get on with his job when the window closes.

Maybe reporters should be doing their job by asking those in the know rather than allowing everyone to wait and find out. As they say, no news is good news.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It may not mean anything but Ipswich have confirmed they have signed Nolan and Nsiaia from Shrewsbury - in deal with approx £1.75M.

Therefore shrews must have funds and they need numbers.

Hopefully that means nothing but doesn’t help. Hopefully we’ll demand a fortune

M

Mal

The problem with all of this is if we don't sell him now assuming there are genuine offers then we will have potentially a disgruntled player whose form may well suffer as a result plus he will anyhow refuse a new contract and leave anyway at the end of the season when we would earn absolutely nothing. Personally whilst I don't like the idea of us being a selling club we need to stabilise the finances and if we can get a decent fee of say at least £200k plus sell ons then we should bite the bullet and do the deal.... Gilmour to me looked solid in pre- season and I was surprised he didn't start Saturday. I also understand we can bring in loan players to end of the month so there is scope for that as well to bolster the team?

we also potentially have a player who is currently happy at Tranmere....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Shrews have signed another midfielder today on loan from rangers.

Docherty becomes the fifth central midfield signing of the summer and John is pleased with how that area is looking.

“We are getting stronger”, said Askey

“I’ve said before that I think it’s vital that you are strong in midfield

Hopefully that means he’ll be staying

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Other rumours suggesting Accrington want to sign mangan from Bala Town. Jobs for the (scouse) boys

joe

Norburn is very happy here. He is not disgruntled and not likely to be.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Other rumours suggesting Accrington want to sign mangan from Bala Town. Jobs for the (scouse) boys
Yeah, Bala confirm Andy has left the club. To be fair, he’s probably still got a lot to offer and is better than playing the rest of his career in the Welsh Premier.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yeah, Bala confirm Andy has left the club. To be fair, he’s probably still got a lot to offer and is better than playing the rest of his career in the Welsh Premier.
There is no way he is good enough for League One though. He was barely good enough for the Conference in his last season with us. Fair play to him for getting a deal at that level, but Mangan seems to secure contracts by virtue of who his mates are, rather than what he can offer.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
if we can get a decent fee of say at least £200k plus sell ons then we should bite the bullet and do the deal.... Gilmour to me looked solid in pre- season and I was surprised he didn't start Saturday. I also understand we can bring in loan players to end of the month so there is scope for that as well to bolster the team?
Gilmour has not made a senior appearance yet, so it would be unreasonable to expect him to fill the boots of someone who has played over 150 games. A loanee would almost certainly be very inexperienced as well.

Player
aldo
In not to upset there was loads of times when he was to easley pushed off the ball last season . As loads of times when the play bye passed him . I'm know he was a decent player . Good luck to him .

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Let's hope we've squozen every last penny out of Shrews.
Frantic search for replacement in the hours ahead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope not too frantic. Nothing worse than a panic buy. I’m assuming the club having known about this a few weeks ago and have been actively looking for a replacement.

Disappointed he’s gone though. Those are the players you have to try and keep hold of to move the club forward.

Last edited:

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
There are still quite a few high profile names who are available on the free market.

I'm not 100% sure what we have left in the coffers to pay a decent wage, but the likes of former Tranmere wonderkid Steve Davies (released by Rochdale), Nicky Maynard (released by Aberdeen), Rob Milsom (released by Notts County), Lewis McGugan (released by Northampton) ect may actually be decent options if they haven't already pledged allegience somewhere else. Maybe not a case of looking to the future, but as we know, sometimes experience is key in the division!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m a little surprised at the timing of Norburn’s departure, would have thought either the deal would have concluded earlier or if it was linked to a replacement coming in, waiting until that was over the line and announcing it jointly. While I share some of AMs thoughts on Norburn, to not replace him or to do with another young loanee, given we’ve already got a youngster Gilmour as one of the remaining trio who can play central midfield, would give me serious concerns.

Of those Colin K mentions, Steve Davies is not a midfielder and I’d not want to see him, even selling burgers at PP ever again. There are undoubtedly some half decent out of contract players out there and available, but I fear a cheapskate loan deal at best, given the lack of an announcement so far.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
If we have been playing brinkmanship to maximise the value of our fee for Norburn then the timing is no surprise really and quite possibly a positive thing.
Whether it is linked to a permanent replacement coming in we will know within the next couple of hours; although, in that scenario, you would imagine that similar negotiations will have been going on elsewhere.
Whilst not being devastated by the loss of Norburn (providing we received a realistic fee), I would hope that we have at least one addition by close of play today. If not MM and MP should be prepared for a bit of grief until the inevitable loanees come in before that window closes!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven’t heard it personally, but understand MM said on radio nobody coming in today...