• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With the new season only 6 days away, beggars can't be choosers. Wonder if a deal for Rowe of cash plus waring has been offered to fylde

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Cole Stockton did well for approx 10 games in about 6 seasons....not what we need! I'd be disappointed if we brought him back I must admit.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was very sorry but not surprised to see Cole leave us. For most of his time at PP, he was not wanted by the then managers or the supporters. He looked to have promise when Rob Edwards was in charge, but then fell out of favour with Micky Adams. However, he was a revelation at Morecambe, playing in a higher division but for a manager who showed faith in him. When Micky brought him back, he boosted his confidence by playing him regularly ahead of crowd favourite Andy Cook and MM was rewarded with some great performances. Micky clearly rates him and shows faith in him. I would have him back, but recent experience at Hearts and Carlisle will have done nothing for his confidence, so Micky would have some work to do. But hopefully we would also sign another experienced striker.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It would be a no-brainer to sign Stockton if the only other option is an untested loanee. I have not been his biggest fan, but there is no doubt Mellon can get the best out of him and get him scoring goals. I would be quite pleased if this rumour is true.

Player
Manager
John King
We don't the Lump back.
The alternative will be some untested kid that the manager knows little, if anything, about.

Mellon at least knows Stockton well and knows that he can get him to perform in competitive football. If they are the only two options available to us, it is a no-brainer for me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The alternative will be some untested kid that the manager knows little, if anything, about.

Mellon at least knows Stockton well and knows that he can get him to perform in competitive football. If they are the only two options available to us, it is a no-brainer for me.
It really shouldn't have got to this point when your option is:

1. An untested kid
2. A guy that was quite frankly rubbish for years and had a good six months. If the Scots don't want him then neither do we!

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

It is quite concerning but money I suppose. We will find out on Saturday as to how well this team can compete st Div Two level. We will only have six of the play off team on display?

Player
Manager
John King
It really shouldn't have got to this point when your option is:

1. An untested kid
2. A guy that was quite frankly rubbish for years and had a good six months. If the Scots don't want him then neither do we!
It is easier said than done when the best strikers at this level cost several hundred thousand pounds. There are about twenty League Two clubs in the same position as us.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
No issues with Cole returning if it comes to fruition. MM will have him firing on all cylinders if the swa get behind him. As I’ve correctly predicted with every positional sigining so far this close season and to reiterate from last week, we’ll bring in two forwards this week I believe .....

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Striker required - yep. I suppose the context decides the importance. If MM sees Nors and Mullin as his main men - in his preferred formation, then any incoming striker may only be for the bench and there are also a couple already with us who can double up and support Nors. So maybe the lack of star quality isn't such a big deal whether it is Stockton or the untested kid. If we are not pushing the boat out to go for a bit of tested quality I would prefer the untested kid over Stockton who I never rated. The only upside for choosing Stockton is that you know what he can do. I would even have Waring back at least he may have some room for improvement and did have a decent spell at Barnsley. However, ref M.H. above there might be strikers with regular first team aspirations on the way - not just for the bench. If so we will do well to get the right quality.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is easier said than done when the best strikers at this level cost several hundred thousand pounds. There are about twenty League Two clubs in the same position as us.
How many six-figure transfer fees have there been in L2 this summer? From what’s been reported, I’d guess only a handful. Of the clubs unable to afford those kind of fees, others will be in a stronger position than Rovers by being able to retain existing strikers of appropriate quality at their club.

Player
Manager
John King
How many six-figure transfer fees have there been in L2 this summer? From what’s been reported, I’d guess only a handful. Of the clubs unable to afford those kind of fees, others will be in a stronger position than Rovers by being able to retain existing strikers of appropriate quality at their club.
We do have appropriate strikers - Norwood and Mullin - and others will arrive this week. We are not in a position to bring in a player like Rowe, but nor are 80% of clubs at our level.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'd not really thought about it from the perspective that the commitment he puts in is so visible to the players behind him that it must almost shame them into additional efforts.

James Norwood is rapidly approaching Tranmere Legend status! Let's hope that he has another great season because he will be so important to us, irrespective of what happens with strike partners.