• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think there is little chance of Ferrier joining Rovers due to the geography. Same is true of Michael Cheek, another player we’ve been linked with.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As white squaddie suggests, I’ll be amazed if big Ferrier came up to us. He’s a southern boy and their will be plenty of southern clubs after him. Like CK I was over the moon when he wasn’t in the BW side at Wembley. Different from cookie but big and strong and has an eye for goal.

Would be pleased but not expecting it. Assuming the Rowe deal is a dead duck, I’m guessing Micky has other options

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Adam Rooney has now signed for Salford on an alleged four thousand pounds per week. Neville, Giggs and co. really are an odious bunch of egotists with no concern for grass roots football. I am so glad we are out of that league.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree RLC. Hopefully it all goes wrong for them.

In the space of a few months Cookie has gone from scoring for us against Borehamwood to grabbing a brace tonight for Walsall against Ajax!

In front of less than 2,500 fans

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, unbelievable for Cookie. If nothing else, it suggests he will be first choice for Walsall. Regarding our own recruitment, it is rumoured there have been cash flow problems relating to the China project which has held up our deals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need that cash for a striker! I wonder what the problem is?

In the space of a few months Cookie has gone from scoring for us against Borehamwood to grabbing a brace tonight for Walsall against Ajax!
Sounds impressive on paper although I think most of Ajax first XI were playing Wolves tonight, so it’ll be the cast offs.

drwhoman

Interesting spat between Neville and the Accrington owner on the BBC website RLC. Neville and co are accused of trying to buy their way in which is true. Yes - there are many wealthy owners but Salford are a club with no history and are truly a rich man's plaything.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I believe MP reported last night at AGM that there is no iminent Chinese money.
He reported that investors had been rejected that wanted a 40% share in club.
A loanee keeper to be brought in.

ADD

Player
Norwood
This I really don't get - a loanee keeper? What was the point in giving Pilling and Wharton new contracts if no intention of playing them given we can bring in a loan keeper at any point?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
What was the point in giving Pilling and Wharton new contracts if no intention of playing them given we can bring in a loan keeper at any point?
Yep, strange and unnecessary in my view. You have a second choice keeper to step in when first choice injured...not just to warm the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s clear MM does not think Pilling is ready to be thrust into the spotlight.

M

Mal

Pickford was mocked for only being 6'1" for a goalkeeper. Pilling is 5' 9" as far as I know. He must be very agile and have good positional sense given he has been called up by Wales but won't it make it'a chalenge if he comes up against 6 feet plus strikers, especially at corners?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I always thought Danny Coyne could have been a top keeper if he’d been a bit taller. He had a decent career but top keepers always have that presence about them.

Joe Murphy was the same - very good shot stopper but always vulnerable to the high ball. I remember Pilling coming on at Fylde away and looked tiny in the goal - although we were terrible that day.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As well as signing he notorious Ched Evans on a season long loan, Fleetwood have signed Wallace on a short term deal. Will be interesting how he copes

drwhoman

I tend to agree with the view that a top keeper has to be tall. Pickford was VERY good at the World Cup but I cannot help thinking about the Belguim goal when they lost 1-0. Courtois unkindly said that a taller guy ( such as him!) might have got to it. That said, why did Rovers re-sign Pilling if his height is a concern? Maybe they think he will have a growth spurt!

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
For me, if Pilling isn’t gonna be given a chance at the start of this season then why was he re-signed? I mentioned previously that Wharton should be on the bench & if something happens to either then try to loan In experienced cover but only as a sub to Pilling. Coyne & Murphy despite having relatively successful careers were not for me. Height & presence is key & I’ve yet to see Pilling play but this surely can’t play a part over experience in this instance because if it did we wouldn’t have been so keen to retain his services.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Being a decent keeper is not just about height. Agree with MH about Pilling, it was poor judgement to re-sign him, especially in these financially frugal times, if he’s not going to be used when Scott Davies is unavailable. Wages for a loaner keeper mean funds won’t be available to bolster a fairly small squad elsewhere.

The apparent dependency on the China money for squad building is a concern. Presumably some funds have been ring-fenced for a new striker, but even with that addition, should it happen, we are still 2/3 players short in my view. The lack of triallists in recent games may suggest currently there aren’t the resources to bring many in.

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently, Salford paid a fee of 375,000 for Rooney. :eek:

Regarding Pilling, let's just see what happens as a loan player has not arrived yet. In terms of wider squad building, I think we need one striker and then we are ready. Depending on who is recruited, I would be tempted to play Jennings just off Norwood, a role he played for long periods at Wrexham and Macclesfield and was comfortable with.