• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Macca signs a new 1 year deal. Very good news and will be interesting how he does in league 2.

So we’ve 4 centre halves plus Buxton and Sutton if needed at right back. Just need a new left back now. I’m not convinced Liam is the answer anymore.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Happy that McNulty has signed he deserves a go in the league with us

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Joe. In several games last season he was found wanting, thinking Macc at home amongst others. Micky has been ace overall but his handling of Clarke who deserved to be playing was poor and we ended up losing him.

Whether he sees Liam as first choice or not, we will need back up in that position.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m glad McNulty is staying for the continuity. Have some doubts about how well he will do as it’s over 2 years since his last L2 appearance.

I’m not so sure about Micky’s handling of Clarke, given the suggestion Eddie’s agent was determined to get him a move, it’s unlikely he’d have stayed even as first choice left-back. Ridehalgh didn’t have a particularly good season just gone, but most on here were happy when he signed up for 2 years. We’ll definitely need another left-back for the 3 games he’s banned

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Liam was OK is the conference but have doubts about the step up. However I think he’ll get a season to prove himself.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
From the noises coming out of the club, even if Clarke had played every game he would have left. Mellon has always really rated Ridehalgh, and probably just wanted to use his experience in the run-in. However, I agree that we need competition in that position. Liam did struggle against pace on a number of occasions last season.

Good news about Big Mac.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am happy that all the players we have offered a new contract to are up to League Two standard. In addition, we have a bit more quality in Mark Ellis and Ollie Banks. We are still waiting for news of Luke Pilling and the promised further signings. I expect there's a lot of horsetrading going on at the moment, so we'll have to be patient. I'll be interested to see what Micky has planned for Alabi, Waring and Green.

Player
Manager
John King
Of those players from last season that we wanted to keep, only Cook and Clarke have left, which I think most of us predicted months ago. So in terms of the retention of our better players, we have done pretty well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, with Clarke only playing a handful of games. The big hole in the squad was made by Cook's departure, so let's see what the club respond with. From the comments made during the fans forum, I certainly don't think they'll be rushing. If they are to sign 3 or 4 players, they'll want to make sure those players can make a difference and come with the right attitude. Lessons learnt from last season I guess.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Will a fee be involved? Thought he was contracted to 2019. Do we see him as a striker or attacking midfield I wonder.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite possibly Higgy. I think he's got a lot of potential and the right attitude although he's not going to get us 20+ goals a season. We would still need a player to fill Cookie's boots.

drwhoman

An attacking midfielder. A Liverpudlian so might be looking for a return to the north west. I agree with Ian. We still need a striker recogising that Alabi and Waring will not be good enough. It might be argued that we need two strikers having lost both Cook and Mangan. As has been mentioned previously, it would also be useful to sign another left back. Time is creeping on and we are getting into trialist territory.

M

Mal

He has not been prolific so far. Averaging around 8 goals a season which is probably good for an attacking midfielder. Have not found any stats on assists though. Still a need for a decent striker to partner Norwood.

Player
Manager
John King
As was discussed a few weeks ago, I think Mullin is more of a replacement for Mangan, a hardworking striker rather than a goalscorer. I think we will be chasing other, more prolific forwards as well.

That said, it is quite possible we won't be able to replace Cook. He came to us from a much smaller club at a time when he had not fully proved himself. Picking an established player like Cook straight off the shelf costs a fortune and might be beyond us, so we will probably need to get more out of the other goalscoring players we already have (eg. Jennings and Cole).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The thing to remember when we bring in strikers is that we are replacing a striker who scored a lot of goals in a league below that we are now in and we have no idea how many goals he would get with us if he had stayed, we have to have faith with whoever is brought in to do a job

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There seem to be some doubts about the Mullin deal going ahead, so unless and until he signs on the dotted line, I'm not going to assess the specific player. I do agree with RLC that a like-for-like replacement may be beyond our means, so increasing our goalscoring across the squad becomes necessary.

There is quite a lot of recruitment going on amongst our L2 rivals, with Ricky Miller to Port Vale being the most eye-catching of the deals. Is anyone else getting a bit twitchy that things don't seem to be happening for Rovers yet?