• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
First team players Donervon Daniels, Reece James, Andy Kellett, Luke Burke and Sam Stubbs released by Wigan Athletic. If we are looking for defenders - particularly full backs, all these guys released by Wigan since their promotion are all defenders. While Daniels and Stubbs are centre backs on either end of the experience spectrum, the other three are full backs - with decent pedigree. Kellet has since signed for Notts County, but had been tracked by Man u previously. Burke was on season long loan at Fylde (played 30 games) - not sure if made permanent, and James (left back) was reserve player of the year nominee while ever present in Man u reserves. Maybe released due to injury.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
ToLLitt cant play there . if they get him fully fit and going then he has to be on the wing in his best place . but its all about the important preseason its massive we get it right and dont mess around like last year witch was terrible
At the meeting the other night, MM and MP said we will be training for a week at a state-of-the-art facility in Scotland prior to the Dunfermline game. Micky emphasised that he wants to work hard on fitness in that week. When you ally that with the number of pre-season games we have planned, I think some lessons have been learned from last summer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have gone from famine to feast with pre-season games from last year to this which can only benefit the squad

drwhoman

You wonder about the current quality of Scottish football. Danny Johnson has left Gateshead for Motherwell. The Heed have just gone part time.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p067k3ks

A link to an hour long interview with Mark Palios on BBC Merseyside tonight.

He confirmed that we are hoping to sign three or four players, supplemented by loans, and seems to suggest that some of the signings will involve fees for players under contract.

It is also interesting that he says League One clubs were after Norwood, Jennings and Norburn and he believes that they, and others in the squad, are capable of playing at that level.

As at the TROSC meeting in the week, he says that Cookie should be thanked for 'honouring his two year contract', suggesting he would have been happy to leave last summer but did not force a move.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p067k3ks

A link to an hour long interview with Mark Palios on BBC Merseyside tonight.

He confirmed that we are hoping to sign three or four players, supplemented by loans, and seems to suggest that some of the signings will involve fees for players under contract.

It is also interesting that he says League One clubs were after Norwood, Jennings and Norburn and he believes that they, and others in the squad, are capable of playing at that level.

As at the TROSC meeting in the week, he says that Cookie should be thanked for 'honouring his two year contract', suggesting he would have been happy to leave last summer but did not force a move.
Thanks for this RLC.

If we have to pay fees for the right players, then this might be worth it. I just hope we have learned some lessons from last year's shambolic purchases.

I have nothing against Andy for moving on. He came on a free, scored a shedload of goals, played his heart out at Wembley and then moved away on a free to a higher league. Whether he's made the right move only time will tell, but definitely no hard feelings. Interesting that League One clubs were after other out-of-contract players, but they chose to stay.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I remember being gutted years ago when we lost Clayton and Clarke, as good a striking pair as we've ever had. I thought we'd never score a goal again!
Eventually other cult strikers popped up - Steely, Muir, Greenacre, etc.
Let's hope there's another nugget out there.
What I'm going to miss Cookie most for is seeing him rise for a cross and planting an unstoppable header past the keeper. Good old fashioned centre forward playl
I'm hoping that the lull in transfer activity is because we are giving players the twice over this season, whether a fee is likely to be involved or not.
It's safe to say that Salford will be the most disliked team in NL and the one all the others will want to turn over. They're splashing the cash again, two strikers for fees. It was without doubt them that offered to double the offer Cookie had from Walsall.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think one big reason for the players to stay is the fans, the SWA. Players love being here.
That was so noticeable after Wembley.
Unbelievable how many past players tweeted support, pre and post match, even some who had only had a month loan spell.
Cookie will find Bescot a little different to PP.

Player
Manager
John King
I remember being gutted years ago when we lost Clayton and Clarke, as good a striking pair as we've ever had. I thought we'd never score a goal again!
Eventually other cult strikers popped up - Steely, Muir, Greenacre, etc.
Let's hope there's another nugget out there.
What I'm going to miss Cookie most for is seeing him rise for a cross and planting an unstoppable header past the keeper. Good old fashioned centre forward playl
I'm hoping that the lull in transfer activity is because we are giving players the twice over this season, whether a fee is likely to be involved or not.
It's safe to say that Salford will be the most disliked team in NL and the one all the others will want to turn over. They're splashing the cash again, two strikers for fees. It was without doubt them that offered to double the offer Cookie had from Walsall.
I can't believe anybody doubled Cook's offer from Walsall to be honest, certainly not Salford. If they had he would be there now.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
From Walsalls local paper, quote from Keates:
"The boss said: “He got offered more money to go elsewhere and stay in the National League Premier".
I definitely read somewhere it was double Sadlers offer. Can't find the link though.
No matter....at least he's gone for what he considers career reasons.

Player
Manager
John King
I still don't believe it was twice what Walsall are paying. Salford's signings have not been that incredible so far.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Andy Mangan signed for Bala so will be playing in Europe next season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
From Walsalls local paper, quote from Keates:
"The boss said: “He got offered more money to go elsewhere and stay in the National League Premier".
I definitely read somewhere it was double Sadlers offer. Can't find the link though.
No matter....at least he's gone for what he considers career reasons.
I expect Andy's move was mainly about League One rather than money. I expect we may have matched Walsall's offer but he wanted to play in the higher league.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Andy Mangan signed for Bala so will be playing in Europe next season
He’ll be up against the mighty Tre Fiori (San Marino). Good luck to him, hope he scores a few for them.

Player
aldo
yes good luck mango hope he does well . did listen to mp on radio mside . made very interesting listening . . mp makes sense the international football accademy . is moving into america . witch will be challenging . and china sounds like its going from strenth to strenth . witch is all good

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good luck to Andy M at his new club. I felt he still could play at a higher level than this, but maybe other factors at play if he’s looking to develop a coaching career.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s right Boz. Mangan is currently a candidate on the UEFA A Licence course with the Welsh Football Trust and has been working closely with Ste Fisher, who is already at Bala.

Player
aldo
also mp said the accademy will reopen again but at a cat 4 not a cat 3 witch saves money . also the five yesr plan is to get to the championship or get as close as we can to it . very promising . oh and when did the cowsheds be renamed the marine scaffolding cowshed stand

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
also mp said the accademy will reopen again but at a cat 4 not a cat 3 witch saves money . also the five yesr plan is to get to the championship or get as close as we can to it . very promising . oh and when did the cowsheds be renamed the marine scaffolding cowshed stand
Does that mean I have to change my name to "Bring Back the Marine Scaffolding Cowshed Stand"? ;)