• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now, why not have some Scottish League sides in the EFL Trophy instead of EPL under 23 sides?

drwhoman

The PL have more political clout I suppose. An uninspiring state of affairs but there we are. We are now a couple of weeks to pre-season and there is silence on the incomongs front. Clearly the players MM might want are playing hard to get. Could we be in trialist mode again?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Still a way to go. I’m sure there will be some signings in the pipeline.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is a TROSC Q & A ongoing now with MM & MP which is also on twitter, MM confirmed McNulty verbally agreed a deal and will sign when he returns from holiday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I went to the meeting tonight and, yes, Big Mac is signing when he returns from Mexico.

There were some interesting topics discussed.

Micky said he does not want to bring in six or seven players and is concerned not to upset the spirit in the dressing room by bringing in the wrong characters. However, we do expect to recruit in the next few weeks.

MM stated that he did not speak to St Mirren at all and that the rumours were complete nonsense.

With regard to recruitment, MP commented that he hates this time of year, citing the loss of Clarke as an example of an agent being in a player's ear for months and the club being the last to know of the player's plans.

MP confirmed that we are not seeking investment from China. Even if such investment was available, it probably would not be suitable for us as the investors would not understand the club.

Micky stated that next season will be tough and not to expect us simply to glide through the division.

MP commented that he is opposed to the idea of 'B' teams taking part in the Checkatrade Trophy, as their inclusion in league competitions would ultimately destroy the integrity of the pyramid. However, he said he will support the competition because there is a financial benefit to the club and the League clubs ultimately decide whether the under-23 teams are included. Despite that, I don't think I can attend any games in that competition. It pains me to say that, as I have not missed a home game at Prenton Park when I have been on the Wirral for 30-odd years, other than through work or illness, but that competition is too dangerous to give any succour to.

Player
aldo
mm has said big steve is in mexico . and has verballly agreed to stay . witch is good . just need some fresh faces now

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very relieved after reading all this. What a great bit of PR these meetings are. They certainly clear the air and stop rumours growing. If only other clubs had the honesty and humour of our owners and manager.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The thing that concerns me is bring only 3 or 4 more signings we could be short of numbers if we pick up some injuries

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, maybe they are thinking 3 or 4 permanent signings and then a few loanees to get us through ? They seem very keen on keeping the spirit going so are probably playing quite cautious on getting the right players in.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not too concerned by the numbers mentioned. In the last couple of years we have wasted a lot of money on squad players who were never going to get in the first team. I would rather go for quality over quantity.

To some extent we probably don't have much choice, as wage demands will be higher now we are back in the league.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We need 7 subs this season rather than the 5 of the previous 3 seasons.

Depending if pilling stays or not we may need a keeper, we need cover for left back, a central midfielder, 1 winger and probably 2 strikers as I cant see alibi getting a game and think waring would be 4th choice

Player
Manager
John King
I think we will sign two strikers, a winger and a left back. I am not sure what the situation is with Wharton, but I imagine either he or Pilling will be here as cover for Davies.

I am not sure we need another midfielder. Harris is the only ball-winner we have, so we arguably need cover for that role, but we already have three central midfielders (excluding Wallace) plus Jennings who can do a job there.

Player
Manager
John King
Interestingly, Micky said last night he intends to play 442 again next season. However, he said in League Two a lot of teams play with three in midfield, so there will be more onus on one of the strikers dropping back to help out in the middle at times.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We need a left-back to start the first 3 games, another ball-winner in midfield, and a winger. Given that Jennings and Cole can play up front or as a traditional no 10, maybe just one striker if we're only bringing in a handful of players. However given our lack of reserves/youngsters, may also need to bring in or loan one or two squad players to make up the numbers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Our squad was ridiculously large by the end of the season, thanks to one or two injuries and a few misfits. So, I don't see the need to replace everyone who left. We need cover for both full backs, at least one midfielder, a winger and two strikers. The EFL transfer window ends the same day as the EPL, 5th August. That's the deadline for permanent transfers. However, standard loan transfers can be made up to 31st August. So, what happens if we run out of players between September and December? I think Micky will have to have cover arranged for every position by the end of August or bring in youngsters to fill any gaps. BTW, I have not heard of any youngsters being offered pro contracts at the end of the season just ended. We always had one or two coming through, but ironically in a season when we can at last afford to blood some youngsters, we will have hardly any!

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think we will sign a right back, as Sutton already gives us cover there and Ellis will probably be a first choice centre back next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We also have Gumbs, who can play as right-back, so agree there isn't a pressing need there.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in central defence, assuming McNulty re-signs as expected. Sutton was arguably our best central defender last season and it would be harsh to dump him. We don't have the personnel to play 3 at the back currently as nobody looking capable of playing a right-wing back role unless Tollitt is tried there.

Player
aldo
ToLLitt cant play there . if they get him fully fit and going then he has to be on the wing in his best place . but its all about the important preseason its massive we get it right and dont mess around like last year witch was terrible