• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I think "reading between the lines" that is a fair interpretation Ian, must say I was not that impressed with his overall performances whilst with us. At Wembley he was being turn inside out in the fullback role (which Jay Harris tightened up immediately when he came on) and, having watched the video highlights a number of times, I believe Manny could perhaps have done better to block the shot from which Boreham equalised. Nevertheless, thanks Manny for joining Rovers to provide defensive cover following the injury to Gumbs and the catastrophe that was McEverley. This also seems to suggest that the Ellis recruitment is a done deal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not surprised big Manny has left even though he did well at RB coming on against Ebbsfleet in the play offs and at Wembley too at RB & CB.

Micky knows L2 very well and along with FGR releasing Manny it makes you wonder if the perception is he simply isn't up to it, especially for a team that hopes to be challenging for promotion. Some players basically get to their level and the national league may be it for Manny.

He'll get snapped up though as he has 2 promotions on his CV in the last 2 years. Maybe Salford will fancy him.

As frenchrover points out, this may mean we are signing Mark Ellis and assuming Gumbs signs a new deal, means we'll have 4 centre halves including Big Mac & Sutts.

I have always been impressed by Ellis. A proper centre half who did well at Shrews. He was at Wembley with Micky giving him a hug post match and he was excellent when FGR beat us at PP last season and the play off defeat at Wembley.

Cook rumours continue to circulate. I guess most players are on holiday at this time of year but hopefully it can be sorted one way or another soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mark Ellis signs a 2 year deal.

Didn’t see enough of Monthe to form a judgement, though understand the reservations expressed here. As still under contract at Forest Green maybe a fee involved. Grateful for his contribution to our promotion back to the FL.

joe

I think Monthe would do ok. He's a big strong player who is deceptively quicker than you think and he loved his loan and playing for us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is harsh to criticise Monthe's performance at Wembley, which I thought was his best game for us. He did not give Andrade a kick when he was marking him. However, I have never thought he was good enough for League Two and I am not surprised by our decision. He has got the physical attributes of strength and pace, but I don't think he has got the concentration levels and consistency to play above the National League.

I am pleased with the Ellis signing. As Sparky mentions above, he was outstanding in the league game against FGR two seasons ago, when we absolutely battered them but their back four somehow stood firm.

Still no news on the alleged Cook transfer. I am hoping the rumours were just a ruse by his agent and we are still in the running.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think RLC summed Monthe up well when he said ‘he always looks like he’s got a mistake in him’ although he was solid in the playoffs and brilliant in the final.

Good news about Ellis however the Cook rumours are gathering pace, sadly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Reading the Carlisle forums there is some suggestion he benefits from playing along a leader or an organiser. Last season he formed a decent partnership with Clint Hill so could be a good foil for Big Mac.

Although Sutton was my player of the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Gumbs extended his contract to next June in mid-season, so we now have four centre backs in addition to the young pros. That's enough. But we need strengthening in every other position.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although Sutton was my player of the season
Yeah, he had a great season in all fairness. It's an interesting dynamic now we have been promoted as we don't know whether the back two of Sutton and McNulty are mobile enough to cope at a higher level.

Player
Manager
John King
Yeah, he had a great season in all fairness. It's an interesting dynamic now we have been promoted as we don't know whether the back two of Sutton and McNulty are mobile enough to cope at a higher level.
Ellis is quick, which I am sure is one of the reasons we signed him.

Reactions: Ian

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Whilst appreciating Monthe's contribution in the final week or so I would agree if we aren't offering a deal. He was very physical in the play off games and was rather fortunate that the referee in the final was very lenient on him. To me he looks like he has bookings, dismissals and suspensions written all over him, which would be even more likely in the higher league. Having said that he played a blinder at Wembley and, I suspect, will be remembered as being part of that glorious victory more than for anything else he achieves in his football career! Thank you!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As we suspected Cookie leaves and joins Walsall on a 2 year deal. Disappointed but not a total surprise. I did think we had a chance when you consider they finished 19th last season and we'll be hopefully on the up, but the Saddlers may have offered him more money and I guess will be aiming higher this season.

What will be interesting is whether he is good enough for L1. I'm not convinced. If he doesn't hit the ground running he'll soon be on the bench plus Keates isn't exactly an attacking manager when you think of his time at Wrexham.

I'm sure Micky has been preparing for this for a long time so have to trust him - although his record on signing strikers isn't great.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not a total surprise given the issues with MM. Disappointed as think he could have found a club and manager better suited to his attributes. My prediction would be a qualified success in L1.

Rovers lose a decent striker and one who’s built up a good understanding with Norwood. Other decent strikers are available, but building up a partnership takes time. Pushes forward recruitment to the top of the priority list.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted to be honest. Not a complete surprise though considering he’s jumping up another division. He’s left on a high and I wish him the best of luck.

Now to find a replacement..

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Bit disappointed to read Cook's comments that he's gone to a 'big club'. That'll be a big club with lower gates and less history than us then!

I'm sure he didn't mean it that way though and good luck to him, he deserves it.

Player
Manager
John King
Gutted. I still think Walsall and Keates are strange choices but good luck to him. He will be hard to replace.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As Gray suggests, he can't be accused of jumping ship to play in front of bigger crowds!
The nightmare will be complete if it it's announced Stockton is coming back.
Time to extend Nors's contract surely.