• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
aldo
let the dust settle i think we will find uot in next few days who is out would just pay alibi off and waring to can see j wallsce gone kirby to mangs will move on

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Of the current squad, I would imagine Cook, Norwood, Jennings, Buxton, Norburn and Clarke would definitely be good enough to play in League Two, probably Cole and Ginnelly as well if we wanted them to stay. Harris, Sutton, Monthe and Ridehalgh I am less sure about, although the latter already has a number of games under his belt in Leagues One and Two.

As harsh as it sounds, I am not sure Davies will make it at that level. There were a few dropped balls again yesterday and he seems to have gone backwards this season with Nixon as his coach.

Player
Manager
John King
Of the current squad, I would imagine Cook, Norwood, Jennings, Buxton, Norburn and Clarke would definitely be good enough to play in League Two, probably Cole and Ginnelly as well if we wanted them to stay. Harris, Sutton, Monthe and Ridehalgh I am less sure about, although the latter already has a number of games under his belt in Leagues One and Two.

As harsh as it sounds, I am not sure Davies will make it at that level. There were a few dropped balls again yesterday and he seems to have gone backwards this season with Nixon as his coach.
I missed out Big Mac. He should get another one year deal in my view, similar to Goody towards the end of his career.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky has some tough decisions to make. Personally, I'd keep Scott Davies, Luke Pilling and maybe Patrick Wharton, although any of them could walk away. In terms of the defence, Evan Gumbs, Liam Ridehalgh and Richie Sutton have a year left and I don't see Micky offloading them, although they may become squad players if we get a decent centre-half and keep Eddie Clarke. Adam Buxton also has a year to run and I'd keep him but look for someone to seriously challenge him. I don't think offering Steve McNulty a new deal is a "no brainer". He's getting on and his lack of pace may be more of a problem in League Two. However, I'd keep him as club captain and make him fight for his place.

I am sure Jay McEveley will go and I think our promotion spells the end for Mitch Duggan, Jake Kirby, Jack Dunn, Elliot Rokka, Drissa Traore and Devarn Green. I haven't seen enough of Declan Drysdale, Josh Solomon-Davies or James Devine to have a view. Ollie Norburn has another year, but I expect Jay Harris and Andy Mangan to move on. I think Darnell Cole might be worth another year, as I feel a full pre-season could see him blossom.

I am looking forward to seeing what Ben Tollitt and James Norwood can do in League Two, particularly if Andy Cook and Connor Jennings can be persuaded to stay. I'd offer both long, improved contracts and extend Norwood's. I can't see Micky risking good money on James Wallace, but a short-term deal dependent on fitness might work. George Waring and James Alabi will certainly be moved on or paid off.

Which brings me to the players we've had on loan this season. Surely we won't be after Rhys Taylor, Josh Kay or Gerry McDonagh. However, I think Manny Monthe starred at Wembley and can play anywhere in the back four. He'd make a good squad player, at least making the bench, if FGR released him. Ollie Banks is tried and tested - and available, so I expect Micky to go after him. Dylan Mottley-Henry may well be released by Barnsley and surely would not go to his last loan club, relegated Chesterfield. Again, I'd be happy to see him here again. Finally, what about Josh Ginnelly, if Burnley release him? If Micky wants to continue playing wingers, he would do for me.

Assuming we get another "top third" budget, which means more money for League Two, Micky will have a fair bit of money to spend. However, I hope he has learned from last summer's disastrous recruitment, when only Norburn ended up a regular starter. That's why I'd prefer it if we went for known quantities like Banks, Monthe, Mottley-Henry and Ginnelly.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky has some tough decisions to make. Personally, I'd keep Scott Davies, Luke Pilling and maybe Patrick Wharton, although any of them could walk away. In terms of the defence, Evan Gumbs, Liam Ridehalgh and Richie Sutton have a year left and I don't see Micky offloading them, although they may become squad players if we get a decent centre-half and keep Eddie Clarke. Adam Buxton also has a year to run and I'd keep him but look for someone to seriously challenge him. I don't think offering Steve McNulty a new deal is a "no brainer". He's getting on and his lack of pace may be more of a problem in League Two. However, I'd keep him as club captain and make him fight for his place.

I am sure Jay McEveley will go and I think our promotion spells the end for Mitch Duggan, Jake Kirby, Jack Dunn, Elliot Rokka, Drissa Traore and Devarn Green. I haven't seen enough of Declan Drysdale, Josh Solomon-Davies or James Devine to have a view. Ollie Norburn has another year, but I expect Jay Harris and Andy Mangan to move on. I think Darnell Cole might be worth another year, as I feel a full pre-season could see him blossom.

I am looking forward to seeing what Ben Tollitt and James Norwood can do in League Two, particularly if Andy Cook and Connor Jennings can be persuaded to stay. I'd offer both long, improved contracts and extend Norwood's. I can't see Micky risking good money on James Wallace, but a short-term deal dependent on fitness might work. George Waring and James Alabi will certainly be moved on or paid off.

Which brings me to the players we've had on loan this season. Surely we won't be after Rhys Taylor, Josh Kay or Gerry McDonagh. However, I think Manny Monthe starred at Wembley and can play anywhere in the back four. He'd make a good squad player, at least making the bench, if FGR released him. Ollie Banks is tried and tested - and available, so I expect Micky to go after him. Dylan Mottley-Henry may well be released by Barnsley and surely would not go to his last loan club, relegated Chesterfield. Again, I'd be happy to see him here again. Finally, what about Josh Ginnelly, if Burnley release him? If Micky wants to continue playing wingers, he would do for me.

Assuming we get another "top third" budget, which means more money for League Two, Micky will have a fair bit of money to spend. However, I hope he has learned from last summer's disastrous recruitment, when only Norburn ended up a regular starter. That's why I'd prefer it if we went for known quantities like Banks, Monthe, Mottley-Henry and Ginnelly.
Great summary BBTC. I agree with nearly all of it, although I think Harris has another year left on his contract. I also think we should avoid rushing in to deals with players we had on loan this season. We are recruiting from a different pool of players now and we might be able to do better, Micky's mixed record in the transfer market notwithstanding. Monthe, for example, has just been released by the team that finished third bottom last season.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great summary BBTC. I agree with nearly all of it, although I think Harris has another year left on his contract. I also think we should avoid rushing in to deals with players we had on loan this season. We are recruiting from a different pool of players now and we might be able to do better, Micky's mixed record in the transfer market notwithstanding. Monthe, for example, has just been released by the team that finished third bottom last season.
I take all your points, RLC, except that I think Jay's time is up and given his age and disciplinary record, we might do better elsewhere. A lot will depend on who walks away and whether the loanees are interested in joining us (or are even available). My big worry next season is Micky wasting his transfer budget again. That's why familiarity might be best. It would also keep the spirit going, although I think we need three or four marquee signings (in defence and midfield particularly) to freshen up the squad and remove complacency.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Funnily enough James Wallaces’ situation is probably no different now we are a league two club. He has the quality for this level, it’s just whether he can get himself fit (which I very much doubt) but Micky may still persist with him.

I’m unsure about Ginnelly and Cole. They were great in the playoff games but nowhere near the same level in the league games. We need players who are going to give us 100% every game.

Really excited time now that we have some funds to go get players, instead of getting players none else wants (pre MP era). It’s going to be a very interesting few months ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m unsure about Ginnelly and Cole. They were great in the playoff games but nowhere near the same level in the league games. We need players who are going to give us 100% every game.
I completely agree with this. All of the loanees and short-term contract players have question marks against them: Ginnelly was Lincoln's fifth choice winger and was released; Cole could not get a league club; Monthe was released from an FGR side that struggled badly. I am not saying it is out of the question for them to make the step up, but we don't need to take the 'lazy' option of offering deals to players simply because we know them.

I think we will need to bring in four or five decent players to be competitive next season. If you look at the sides who did not strengthen when they were promoted in recent years, they struggled (Cheltenham and FGR). By contrast, Lincoln changed six or seven first teamers and are now in the play-offs. However poor we were in the transfer market last season, it would be ridiculous if we did not trust Mellon to make another signing. That position is not sustainable.

At Prenton Park yesterday Palios emphasised that the ambition next season will be promotion, so I don't think you will see any sentimentality or complacency from the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At Prenton Park yesterday Palios emphasised that the ambition next season will be promotion, so I don't think you will see any sentimentality or complacency from the club.
That is exactly what you want to hear from the chairman. I know he has eyes on the Championship and why not! The next few months should be very exciting and I can’t wait for the season to start already.

We should take Lincoln as a great example of strengthening and wanting to improve day by day. We are now in the hands of a chairman who has drive and ambition and we are setup for bigger things. We had fallen but we will rise again !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't remember that much about our last L2 campaign, probably self-induced amnesia, but don't recall being that impressed by many of our opponents. The games we lost heavily, like the 1-4 at home to Burton were more down to our failings than the quality of the opposition. This season, Rovers managed a Cup draw at a strong, if not full strength Peterborough, before imploding in the replay. My football radar needs re-setting, but not really sure the size of the gulf between NL and L2, though agree with RLCs point that the sides who haven't strengthened after promotion struggle.

The players who are signed up for another year and have featured regularly in the first team squad are likely to stay, though may no longer be regulars. Think that leaves Alabi, Waring, Green, possibly Devine and Gumbs who are still contracted, do any of those look like having a future at Rovers?

Of those out of contract would expect we'd offer deals to Cook, Jennings and Clarke but can see both sides of the argument regarding the rest. Think there is a need for some continuity to maintain team spirit.

Of the loanees, Monthe fell out with the manager at Forest Green, but still under contract so unsure that he's worth paying a significant fee for. Banks apparently didn't get on that well with team-mates at Rovers. Mottley-Henry hardly featured on loan at Chesterfield, presume injured, but might be worth another loan if his parent club are willing.

Then there'll be a number of names linked, that we know little of now, but one or two at least will be pulling on a white and blue shirt at the start of the 2018/9 season.

Player
Manager
John King
On a related matter, we are being heavily linked with Jose Baxter at the moment. Personally, I would not touch him with a bargepole. I don't know what everybody else thinks ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On a related matter, we are being heavily linked with Jose Baxter at the moment. Personally, I would not touch him with a bargepole. I don't know what everybody else thinks ?
You will hear a lot of stories like this. I bet at least 100 names will be mentioned on this forum between now and the end of the summer transfer window. Personally, I can't see Micky being interested in someone with so much baggage and who hasn't kicked a ball in anger for a few years.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’m not sure. Where is his head right now ? Does he want to knuckle down and play football or will he come with a host of issues. Probably a great player if he has the right attitude but a very risky move. Maybe MM can work with these types of players. Examples being Banks and Monthe who have fallen foul of previous managers/players but seem to perform under MM.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few players have fallen out with Cooper at Forest Green and Monthe falls into that category. Banks on the other hand sounds like a paid up member of the awkward squad, but did a good job for us under Micky.

Baxter isn’t an easy call to make, for the reasons Ian states.

Will we be running a reserve side next season? Struggled against part-timers bringing in players who were short of match practice, though 7 subs allows more to get the chance of an appearance. I don’t know what the economics are on this.

Player
aldo
we need some quality to go with the boys that will remain . we know some are gonna move on who do we want to stay need to sort cookies contract out and give james another one . think connor will be ok in lg two but the middle of the park is light weight . and we dont score from there enough . think we need a stronger goal keeper scott has done a good job but makes lots of errors . and makes stupid mistakes . witch we can do with out . its gonna be a good few months cant wait for it to start. eney one going to the charity match at lairds

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Baxter has spent the last year at Everton, as long as he has got himself sorted out I would be happy to have him here

Player
Manager
John King
I have just been down to the Town Hall for the celebration, where Andy Mangan effectively said his goodbyes to us. It is no great surprise that he is leaving but it does show that contract talks must be quite advanced with the players we want to keep.

As for Mangy, good luck to him. A great character and a very good player for us in his first spell.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree RLC. A popular figure amongst the SWA but at this stage of his career he needs first team football and I’d rather his wages went on a new deal for cookie.

Good luck to him.

Jose Baxter mentioned. Wouldn’t go near him. Plenty of decent players out there that don’t come with baggage.

Release Wallace too and then Jose won’t get free tickets all the time.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree RLC. A popular figure amongst the SWA but at this stage of his career he needs first team football and I’d rather his wages went on a new deal for cookie.

Good luck to him.

Jose Baxter mentioned. Wouldn’t go near him. Plenty of decent players out there that don’t come with baggage.

Release Wallace too and then Jose won’t get free tickets all the time.
I agree completely. We went wrong last summer by taking a risk on players who in the end did not contribute anything - Wallace, Dawson, Dunn - and only got away with it because of the strength of the squad that were already here. We won't get away with that a second time, certainly not at a higher level.

It is a no to Baxter and Wallace from me.