• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Tollitt was reintroduced gradually. Cameo appearances from the bench, followed by starts where he played sixty minutes. I seem to remember a certain other poster agreed with this approach at the time......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t know why these remarks are being aimed at me, RLC? Sure it wasn’t you, but can recall comments on some of the match threads about Tollitt needing to start every game. As far as I recall we both felt Ben Tollitt wasn’t fully ready after the Macc game and he didn’t start the next game. Broadly I agreed with the club’s handling of his second return, but there were times he appeared to be trying too hard and the pressure seemed to be building on him from within. With hindsight, the challenge that seemed to result in his latest breakdown was one Ben didn’t really need to make and maybe he should have been taken out of the firing line. Though as we all know, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Player
aldo
mellon has said its the knee ligaments but not as bad as first feared an should be back for pre season

Player
Manager
John King
Apologies if I misconstrued what you were saying. I think after the Boreham Wood game I said Tollitt was ready to start, which seemed reasonable at the time as he had made a number of substitute appearances by then. When players have had serious injuries I don't think there is necessarily a 'right' time to bring them back, as the only way you know how they will respond to competitive action is by playing them.

Either way, I am glad that Cole has come into the side and been excellent. Hopefully Ben will be ok after a full pre-season.

Reactions: Boz
Player
aldo
i am getting a little twitchy . mellon wont talk contracts and most of are big players are out in the next 5-6 weeks . surley they need to try and keep cookie and connor . and sutton and davies . clark to if we can

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure several good offers have ben made already, AM. And not many have been accepted. But I hope players are just sitting on them waiting to see if we go up. Expect most to re-sign if we do.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sutton is under contract for next season but a lot will depend on what league we are in next season to determine what we can offer and to whi

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ollie Banks released by Oldham following their relegation to L2.

Big Manny Monthe made available by FGR along with Marsh Brown who is decent.

Hopefully Micky is already planning depending on whether we go up or not.

Player
Manager
John King
I would take Banks, but he seems to have an attitude problem judging by events in the last few months. Likewise Marsh-Brown.

If we did go up, Monthe would not be good enough in my view.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would take Banks to replace Hughes, Monthe I don't think is upto League 2 level

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would take Banks, but he seems to have an attitude problem judging by events in the last few months. Likewise Marsh-Brown.

If we did go up, Monthe would not be good enough in my view.
What went wrong with Banks at Swindon?
Haven't seen enough of Monthe to judge fairly, but if we don't go up, would he be worth a deal at NL league level?

Player
Manager
John King
What went wrong with Banks at Swindon?
Haven't seen enough of Monthe to judge fairly, but if we don't go up, would he be worth a deal at NL league level?
I read somewhere that he had similar problems with the management as at Oldham. Might just be rubbish though. Either way, he got on with Mellon and was a class act. I would not be totally convinced by Monthe even at this level to be honest.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Banks would be a great player for us if we stepped up a level.

drwhoman

If Banks wants to come - sign him - Rovers played their best football with him in the side. We do not want to go up and struggle like FGR (hee hee!).

Player
aldo
think banks would be better than Norburn .and with Hughes leaving we Know what we get with banks

drwhoman

I see Monthe is under contract at FGR but available for transfer. Other ex Rovers players released by their league clubs include Dagnall, Bakayogo and McGurk.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
This forum will undoubtedly take more posts than for previous seasons.
After a couple of games breaking himself in, Banks was tremendous. So much so that a fit Hughes couldn't get back in. He'd be an ideal replacement.
There doesn't seem much enthusiasm about Monthe.
He was a rock yesterday and did nothing wrong when he came on for Bucko against Ebbs. Couldn't have been easy for him to switch to CB so soon after preparing himself for RB. Definitely shortlist him.
What's for sure is that there is a lot of dead wood in the squad - players that we've suffered because they are "good squad members".
And how do we get rid of Waring and Alabi?

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about Monthe. I have had my doubts about him but he was brilliant yesterday. I still think he looks better as a full back than a centre back though, with his pace and strength. Andrade did not beat him once. Signing Banks is a no brainer if he wants to come, which I think he does.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There is plenty of culling to be done. Not just Waring and Alabi but the likes of Wallace, Kirby and Duggan (sorry Boz).

Wallace just isn’t worth it sadly. Micky likes Kirby but can we rely on him? After Clarke’s performance yesterday we need to tie him down.

Whilst mangan is good entertainment, at his age does he want another season of bits and pieces? Interesting times.

Player
Manager
John King
There is plenty of culling to be done. Not just Waring and Alabi but the likes of Wallace, Kirby and Duggan (sorry Boz).

Wallace just isn’t worth it sadly. Micky likes Kirby but can we rely on him? After Clarke’s performance yesterday we need to tie him down.

Whilst mangan is good entertainment, at his age does he want another season of bits and pieces? Interesting times.
Watching the players at Prenton Park just now I was thinking the same.

I think all of the individuals you mention need to move on, although in the case of the contracted players (Alabi, Waring) it is easier said than done. We saw so little League Two football as we hurtled into the NL, I think it is quite difficult to judge which of the other players are capable of making the step up.