• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clarke joins joey Barton’s Fleetwood.

Can’t blame him. He should have been first choice left back in my opinion and was excellent at Wembley

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As one door opens, so another shuts in your face.
As big a talent as Clarke is, the redeeming feature for us is that we are unilkely to 'miss' him too much because we didn't see that much of him!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very pleased about Jennings, disappointed but not surprised about Clarke. The way he and the other youngsters have been treated must surely improve now we are back in the league. At least we should get compensation, but what a,waste of his talent.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Clarke joins joey Barton’s Fleetwood.

Can’t blame him. He should have been first choice left back in my opinion and was excellent at Wembley
I think he (or his agent) had already made it clear he was leaving in January, which is why Ridehalgh was preferred to him from that point onwards. You can't underestimate the role of agents in unsettling players, particularly youngsters.

It is a pity he has joined a 'fake' club in Fleetwood and an ever bigger pity that Barton will be his manager. However, good luck to him.

Last edited:

drwhoman

I agree re the fake club. Anyone who gives Barton a Manager’s job must be questionable. Maybe he gets good betting tips! You wonder whether the move will be good for Clarke from a personal development point of view but there we are. Still, Barton may not last very long.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think he (or his agent) had already made it clear he was leaving in January, which is why Ridehalgh was preferred to him from that point onwards. You can't underestimate the role of agents in unsettling players, particularly youngsters.
Looking back, I think you're right there RLC.
Rides had as bad a game as you could imagine away at Fylde on New Year's Day yet stayed in favour.

Player
aldo
we all know mm has his favs the ones he likes .. but i cam be a shame if we lose the only youth player we had . and only one we could have for meney a year . . there are loads of clubs making money from selling youngsters . look at exeter there whole team the other day was home made and they have sold loads for millions . crewe had the whole first team of home made players in the lg and again sell loads . . think mark an nicola will have to look and do it properly . chester youth have won loads of you lgs and cups this season . . just hope we can get some younger players in .

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is difficult to tie young players down on long contracts now and agents often give them poor advice. There was no question of players like Thomas, Irons and Brannan leaving after fifteen games, but times change.

I think Eddie would have been better off staying for three or four years before progressing, like Power and Cresswell. However, it is ultimately his decision where he goes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointed in where Clarke has gone, as don't feel that being under a rookie manager with a lot of baggage like Barton will be a good move for him at this early stage in his career. it's a pity for his sake than the Wigan rumour didn't turn out to be anything more. Still money talks and I suppose we have to hope he does well there with an eye to any sell on. As Ridehalgh will be banned for the opening 3 games, add left back to our shopping list.

Connor Jennings re-signing is good news and hope he will get some time in a more central role next season, though no doubt his versatility helped us out.

AM, the club have made a decision in terms of the Academy and there is no chance of that being reversed. We have to hope that we pick up a few rough diamonds under the new system and turn them into polished gems.

Player
aldo
i get that . but when mp said when he was selling the old traning ground that we needed the new one . ( withch we do and always have ) was needed as making and selling youngsters was what we need to do to get the football on an even footing . now i know wye they have done it and can see the brains behind it . its just a thought . thats all . i realy know that they are prob not gonna open it again . we can only hope that one day it will be opend

drwhoman

Fair comment AM but one of the problems we face is that the scouting networks of the bigger clubs are so much more sophisticated these days so our chances of finding and keeping top talents is not high. Look at the Liverpool Academy. From what little I have seen it would appear that many of their top players were acquired from another club at an early age. Phillips - Bolton, Brewster - West Brom etc.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm actually quite frustrated with the Clarke move because I think he's such a better player than Ridehalgh. I hope this doesn't mean we are stuck with Ridehalgh for another season at left back. :eek:

I see a lot of people have jumped on the 'were doomed' bangwagon already after losing two players! Unbelievable really.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it’s understandable that people are a bit despondent, when we lose the player and young player of the season, while our first new signing, a central defender, was never going to set the pulse racing.

However, it’s far too early to form any view as to how things are looking when there’s so much work still to be done in terms of squad-building.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good news indeed Ian. One or two have questioned his alleged temperament whilst at Swindon but he did well for us alongside Norburn and is a good replacement for Hughes.

Some players just fit at a certain club so hopefully this will be the case.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s it Sparky. MM knows what he’s about and the supporters can see his qualities so I think it will only help us as we push on. Now, I wonder where we get a 25 goal striker from?

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Great news about both Jennings and Banks signing up, which with the Ellis signing, suggests the defence and midfield look stronger but the "million dollar" question is, as Ian says, where is the Cookie replacement coming from