• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Cryptic post this... Interesting conversation I was earwigging earlier in The Malmaison, Liverpool between an agent & player. The agent was saying he could get the player a League 1 contract although he'd likely be a back-up whereas he recommended signing for us over a League Two team as we're such a big club who'd likely extend his contract if we made it back to the football league in the summer. Player had a strong Scouse accent, quite quietly spoke, but must only just be returning back to the north west judging by what I could hear. Also overheard 27 years old mentioned a couple of times & whenever the conversation wandered the agent kept bringing us up. Player was dark haired with kind of a designer beard but no idea who he was....

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I couldn't quite catch the part about position but I did hear them mention about even filling in at left back if necessary so maybe a left footer, not that we need anyone there at the moment! Seemingly only interested in a north west club though!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Alabi fee determines at £22,500 with Chester getting a 15 percent of any future sell on fee

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A lot higher than I expected. I doubt the sell on fee will amount to much though !

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We've come well unstuck with Alabi. At least 15% of zero is zero!
Wouldn't like us to bring in any new faces unnecessarily. We are in a much healthier position than last season with it's many crippling injuries. As has been suggested we were on the bones of our arse and just one extra pair of legs available for the FGR game could have made the difference. Losing Wallace after the Shots game when he was hitting form was the final nail. Fingers crossed we've paid our dues.
Tollitt aside, and speaking generally, the bench is made up of players who simply haven't made the starting eleven. The end of last season it was players who were less injured than the others!
Who'd have thought Jeff Hughes would be a bench warmer - he's been tremendous when he's come on.
Wrexham have taken some new additions but given they have been going so well anyway will new additions disrupt their rhythm?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wonder if there was there some sympathy from the Tribunal to Chester's current plight in setting that price.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Club have released a statement saying their last offer basically wasn’t far from the final figure.

Anyway. Let’s move on.

Player
Manager
John King
Wonder if there was there some sympathy from the Tribunal to Chester's current plight in setting that price.
It seems like it.

I don't know much about player valuations at this level, as hardly any clubs pay fees and when they do they usually are not disclosed. However, I always imagined Cook or Norwood would fetch about £40-50,000 if we sold them to another National League club. In that light, £22,500 for Alabi seems ludicrous.

drwhoman

Annoying but just got to bite the bullet and move on. His signing did not seem unreasonable at the time particularly after he scored 5 against Lairds, little did we know!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
See Luke Pilling gone to Warrington for a month. Suppose it will help to keep him match-fit, in case we get Fylde in the play-offs, but sad to see he’s clearly got no future at the club under the current manager and coach. Suspect he’ll have a career at a higher level than NL.

Player
Manager
John King
See Luke Pilling gone to Warrington for a month. Suppose it will help to keep him match-fit, in case we get Fylde in the play-offs, but sad to see he’s clearly got no future at the club under the current manager and coach. Suspect he’ll have a career at a higher level than NL.
You are clearly trying to pick a fight with these comments, which I won't rise to.

It is an unusual situation as we had to bring Taylor in in the short term due to Davies's injury. Under the terms of his loan we are obliged to keep him here until the end of the season, which limits Pilling's opportunities. With no reserve football, he will benefit from going out on loan for a couple of months and I don't think you can read anything in to his longer term prospects from this move.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You are clearly trying to pick a fight with these comments, which I won't rise to.

Not so, merely stating my view, which should come as no surprise. I haven’t subscribed to the suggestion that Taylor would deliberately underperform to help his parent club which has been mooted on here. However I am surprised that we could only get a keeper who meet the standards the manager/coach require,on loan until the end of the season, when it was unlikely Scott Davies would be out for that long. Though his recovery was about a month ahead of schedule.

The only situation I can see Luke Pilling playing for us again would be if Scott Davies was unavailable for a play-off game v Fylde. Do you really think he’ll be with us next season then?

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know whether Pilling will stay or not but I am pretty sure we will offer him a contract.

When you sign a player on loan you can't always dictate the terms to the parent club. I would guess Fylde wanted us to pay for a loan to the end of the season, added to which we did not know in January how long Davies would be out for.

Player
Manager
John King
Whether we should have brought Taylor in is a separate argument which has been done to death. However, in the current circumstances it is better for Pilling to play games than sit in the stand, as I am sure you will agree ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I said above that there was a potential benefit to Luke Pilling getting match fit.

The question to which we don’t know the answer was whether it was possible to bring a keeper of Taylor’s level in on a shorter deal. Rhys has been ok, but if he’d turned out to be dismal, we wouldn’t have persisted with him for the time until Scott Davies returned, irrespective of any deal with Fylde.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While I understand both RLC's and Boz's arguments, I would be amazed if Luke was still with Rovers next season. From his point of view, he must feel he's not had a fair chance.

drwhoman

The problem was that MM was not prepared to take the risk with a young keeper given the importance of winning games and achieving promotion. If we are not promoted then the current team may well start to splinter, never mind the financial implications. Taylor is clearly not as good as Davies but would Luke have been any better? A few mistakes and it would have done nothing for either his or the team’s confidence in him. At least with Taylor MM was getting experience and a guy who he can ‘lose’, when no longer required.

M

Mal

Clearly not as good as DAVIES based on what? Did Tranmere lose when he played? How many shots did he save versus screw up. Can you provide stats on shots saved versus screw ups? Technically", no games we're lost when he was in goal... How many mess ups did Davies commit? I think stats tell us a lot more than opinion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mal I don’t think we can look too much into stats when the guys only played a handful of games. It’s hardly a fair comparison to make. I think the general consensus is that currently Davies is a better keeper than Pilling who is still learning the game.