• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Feel for him but at least it's a different injury. Other than the challenge when he won a free kick on edge of box early doors can't recall how it's happened.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a real shame for Ben, as Cowshed Kid notes, the only good thing is not a repeat of his previous injury.

Given there is a suggestion the McDonagh deal was in the pipeline for a while, will another wide player be brought in to cover Tollitt's absence?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was talk of up to 4 players coming in on short-term loans, but a fortnight in and only Mottley-Henry and McDonagh have arrived.

Meanwhile, James Devine, who was a sub in the Maidstone game and plays in midfield has signed his first pro deal with Rovers. Hope he gets given an opportunity to show what he can do.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is interesting that Devine was presented on the pitch before the Chester game. It could mean he is really good or, alternative ly, perhaps the club are trumpeting the youth policy because of recent criticism of the opportunities given to youngsters.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Do you have any memory of him from the Maidstone game, RLC?

We’ve signed up a few, Clarke, Wharton, Drysdale now Devine in part presumably to ensure we get a few crumbs when they move on. After the way Mellon has treated Gumbs, I’m not convinced that young players are best served by staying with us under the current regime.

Player
aldo
With palios putting the emphasise on the youth to ballance the books . I would be suprised if we dont start using them . You look at how the youth are performing this season doing amazingly well . Still unbeaten . Meybe mm should look at a few of them.

Player
Manager
John King
No, I don't really have any memory of Devine from the Maidstone game. I think he must have replaced Clarke when he went off injured.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, he made no real impression on me. But no-one played badly or was overawed by the occasion. I think everyone was on a high.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
we are linked with yet another striker Jordan Archer at Stourbridge, trying to get a couple of signings in this week

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently Dawson is on his way back to us next week. Did not even get off the bench for Darlington as they lost to Nuneaton today.......

Player
aldo
If dawson comes back send him training with the kids .nhe cant be assed an he should be sacked . If he was in eney other job he would be gone end of

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Darlington’s manager moved to York half-way through Dawson’s loan period, it may be the replacement does not rate him. Doesn’t appear to have been pulling up any trees during his time there. If we could do some deal to get him off our books, it would be good, but if not we’re stuck with him until his contract runs out. Mellon gave him that deal so must accept some responsibility for it.

Don’t know if Archer was playing yesterday when Stourbridge got thumped by Macc. It would be wrong to have any great expectation of a player, who’s scoring freely but at a much lower level. MM has brought in Mangan, Alabi, Dunn, Waring and McDonagh as attackers already. In what other job would such a poor recruiting strategy let the person responsible stay in post?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’d find it very odd if we did bring in another striker. I understand competition for places etc etc but you can’t play XI strikers. Waring and McDonagh have not even played 90 minutes between them!

It’s not looking good for Alabi who in all honesty was a poor signing.

Player
Manager
John King
I actually thought McDonagh looked OK when he came on yesterday and probably offers more than mangan or alabi at the moment, certainly in terms of workrate and movement. I agree the archer signing is very strange however, assuming it happens. Whatever the failings of his transfer strategy, it would be crazy to start questioning Mellon's position at this moment, just as we show signs of turning things around.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A mate of mine likened Archer to Stan Collymore - altho he also compared Darren Stephenson to Thierry Henry!

You would think we'd be a bit wary of signing another player like Rokka in terms of being u proven. I guess he won't be expensive but surely this means one of mangan, Alabi etc are on their way out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A mate of mine likened Archer to Stan Collymore - altho he also compared Darren Stephenson to Thierry Henry!

You would think we'd be a bit wary of signing another player like Rokka in terms of being u proven. I guess he won't be expensive but surely this means one of mangan, Alabi etc are on their way out.

Also like Rokka could take a while to get used to training

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree the archer signing is very strange however, assuming it happens. Whatever the failings of his transfer strategy, it would be crazy to start questioning Mellon's position at this moment, just as we show signs of turning things around.
In terms of changing manager, at this point I agree that it’s not a good idea.
As AM was pointing out with Dawson and similar applies to Mellon in my view, their records might not attract such tolerance in a non-footballing job.

Player
Manager
John King
As AM was pointing out with Dawson and similar applies to Mellon in my view, their records might not attract such tolerance in a non-footballing job.
I don't disagree, but I would not compare Mellon's performance to Dawson's. The former has made mistakes but at least he turns up for work on a Monday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd love someone in the know to explain to me exactly what the club's transfer strategy is. We are told that all the budget has been spent but still players keep arriving every week without anyone departing. We have more than enough players (even without our promising youngsters) to fill every position, yet we have so many strikers we couldn't even fit them all on the bench never mind in the starting eleven.

As for the detailed recruitment since Micky arrived, we have signed Tollitt and Wallace (both long-term injuries), Rokka and Dawson (nowhere near even the bench), Waring, Alabi and Mangan (fringe players having little impact), McEveley and Dunn (inconsistent). Only Buxton and Norburn have been earning their money, although it's too early to judge Mottley-Henry and McDonagh. I expect at least four of the players mentioned to move on without playing again for the first team. We have been unlucky to see so little of Ben Tollitt, but for whatever reason, recruitment under Mellon has been poor, especially in comparison with Brabin, whose signings still provide most of the matchday squads..