• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thought I'd start a new thread with the news in the last 24 hours that Duggan has signed a new 1 year deal but, probably more importantly, Buxton has today signed a 2 year deal.

Really pleased with this. Buxton fitted in well especially when in a back 5 where the right sided centre half position looked made for him. Still think he's a bit top heavy for playing right back in a flat back 4, but a good signing. Suspect a 2 year deal will have fended off some interest from elsewhere.

Although I expect Ihikwe to leave, hopefully we'll hear about Vaughan and Ridehlagh soon so most of the defence will be kept together.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good news that both Duggan & Buxton have signed hopefully most of the players we have offered deals too will stay

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really like Buxton, glad he's signed. I think Ridehalgh and Vaughan will do the same.

M

Mal

Hopefully keep all who have been offered contracts. Add in some extra steel and playmaker types for midfield and I think Tranmere will be well placed to do a Lincoln.

That is, as long as the bad luck with injuries stops.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I really like Buxton, glad he's signed. I think Ridehalgh and Vaughan will do the same.
Buxton is a decent signing. As we've got to pay Vaughan's wages until he recovers it might make sense for both sides for him to accept the offer for next season. Ridehalgh is one rumoured to be moving on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Pleased about Buxton. It seems that Ihiekwe and Ridehalgh are both likely to move on, and I will be delighted if we manage to keep them. Stockton will possibly also go, which might not be too damaging depending on the Cook situation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well depending on who stays and who goes it will give us a different dynamic next season. I'd still Ike to see Cook stay and get his place back, although from what I've heard he wants to move on.

I wouldn't be too upset if Ridehalgh moved on. OK defender with a decent cross (most of the time) but I'm sure we can find a suitable replacement.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'll be fuming if Cook goes, especially if we lose Cole too.

Cook is our best striker. You don't let your best players go if you want to win the league.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Gumbs has signed a 1 year contract gully expect Pilling to do the same, think Ikky Ridehalgh and Stockton will turn down contracts and move on

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
With you Sparky about Cookie.
Not just one of our best players but possibly best striker in NL now Miller moved on.If there is a rift, just hope they kiss and make up soon.
He'll be very hard to replace.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook is still under contract and if as expected Stockton goes, I think he will probably stay. I agree that he is our best striker. There will be one or two departures, but I think the overall quality of the squad will be similar to last season.

What concerns me more are Micky's energy levels. Managing a football club is an extremely strenuous job and it is a big ask for him to perform as well next season as he did in the last one. He is only human after all. Hopefully he will recharge his batteries and get everyone going in August.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Managing a football club is an extremely strenuous job and it is a big ask for him to perform as well next season as he did in the last one
There's going to be more pressure on him next season. He'll have had a full pre-season to shape his squad and being 90 minutes away from promotion keeps the expectation levels high.

We've already had comments from supporters before the play-off final that if we did lose we will be champions next season. Big expectations !

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Micky's got a long standing, right hand man in Jackson who he knows and trusts and I'm sure Jacko has shared and will continue to share some of the pressure

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great news re Gumbs, hope he gets a chance to show what he can do for us.

There is a lot of expectation for next season, which puts pressure on the management team. Expectations should be based on how many we've offered new deals take them up. If all of them do, there isn't a major re-building exercise and it's not unreasonable to be looking to a similar performance or better. Lose 3 or 4 and it becomes much harder

M

Mal

Didn't Micky miss out in his first season with fleetwood then ran away with the title with over 100 points or have I dreamt that. Guess I should look it up

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, he lost in the play-offs before winning the league the following season. However, I would imagine he had a massive increase in budget at Fleetwood that season which he won't necessarily get here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great news re Gumbs, hope he gets a chance to show what he can do for us.
I think with the uncertainty of several of our defenders, I think we'll see a lot more of Gumbs next season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Kirby signs up for another year.. o_O

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm surprised they didn't given him another 3 year deal given how well he runs between the lines !!

To be serious, he clearly has ability and works hard but I have barely seen him offer much, both in terms of goals and creativity. I do think he has genuine confidence issues which wont be helped by many of the SWA not being a fan. Clearly he impresses in training and has done for other managers.

A good squad player but not one I would say who will make us champions.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No issue with Kirby being given another year. The main question is whether the leg-break has left any lasting damage, but a useful squad player.

Contrary to some reports, Liam Ridehalgh has signed up for 2 years. He's a confidence player who has come on significantly under Micky's guidance and this is good news.