• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Both new signings available for tomorrow.

Larnell Green joins until the end of Jan. He has decent experience and is 24. Not sure how much football he's played this season but potentially a very good player at this level.

Devarn Green joins from Stourbridge for an undisclosed fee. He's 21 and hopefully not another Darren stephenson

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Larnell Cole has apparently been training with us this week. He has worked with Micky and has a decent history, though unattached since leaving ICT in Scotland. Don't know whether the short-term deal is because of our concerns about his fitness or that he's putting himself in the shop window in the hope of attracting a bigger club. Encouraging signing and seems to be a true winger.

Devarn Green is rather more of a puzzle. He's hardly featured for Stourbridge, having joined from Hednesford, as a youngster, he was snapped up by Blackburn but never got game time. A winger-come-striker. I doubt we paid Stourbridge much, but if we're directing money that way, Jordan Archer would have been a better bet. Hopefully he'll see his time with us as a last chance and be fired up to do well.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
So....Archer was a no go but we got second picks?
Have to assume DMH is on his way back?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Larnell Cole played thirty-odd games in League One two seasons ago and should be a good signing. Let's hope Green does not turn out to be another Rokka.

drwhoman

Both these guys seem to have a decent pedigree, particularly Cole. I hope they are both keen to get their careers back on track and give us that extra attacking edge that we are missing. I am not sure why Cole has not played this season, I hope it is not attitudinal/mental strength related and hence the club's reticence about a longer term deal, they do not want another Dawson. Archer v Green? Positional. Mickey clearly believes he has enough strikers. They just need ammunition.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Larnell Cole sounds like a decent signing. I think part of the battle with these wingers is purely mental. If you can catch one in good form and is confident, they can make a difference. On the flip side, if they are low in confidence and dont really want to play for the team you could get a stinker.

drwhoman

Good point Ian. With Cole, there may be an element of what might have been and am I in the right job? This is all surmise of course. See how he gets on! January may also be influenced by the Tollett situation. Might he be back by then?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tollitt is out for 12 weeks minimum and in reality, I suspect it won't be until much later, given the conditions that will prevail then.

Player
aldo
If im honest i think jennings should be dropped . He has missed so meney chances. Give green a go as we have paid for him. Even though we are supposed to have no money would keep clark an mitch in as both been playing so well an can only get better . Its abt time some of the kids came through Keep . Long mey it continue

Player
aldo
Motley reminds me of when ben tollitt was on loan last season . Lets hope he plays shit . When his manager comes and watches him at pp an we sign him as well . Just hope he dont get injured like ben superb player . Would love to see ben and motley in the same team . Nevin and morriesey it could be brilliant come on palios get him signed up

Player
aldo
If i win the lottery on sat will pay for him my self . And give some to claire house . Woild love to do that must keep trying

drwhoman

Some interesting news on the official website about longer term injuries Tollit does not need an op, Kirby about a month away, Dunn out for another month with a torn hamstring, and Wallace running but not with the squad yet. MM said on Sat that Rokka was not far away. An earlier return than expected for B T would be good while Kirby will be another option although I know some fellow bloggers do not rate him. MM has been positive about what he can bring, at least to the squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The more options the manager has, the better. Given Larnell Cole is only with us until the end of January, if Tollitt was available by then, would be good news. Don’t think the nature of Dunn’s injury has been made known before, unsure if it is the reason he wasn’t in the squad or something which happened subsequently. Kirby is a good squad player, Rokka unlikely to see first team action. If Wallace is able to play again, which sounds some time away, it is hard to see a central midfield with JW and Norburn working out, it wouldn’t be able to offer enough protection to the defence.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Boz suggests I don't think the injury to Dunn was public knowledge. Not jacks fault of course but a poor signing given he's missed a lot of football and only shown the odd glimpse here and there when fit.

We can't rely on Wallace so I'm forgetting about him sadly. Kirby clearly impresses in training when fit but his contributions in matches have been minimal.

AM makes a good point about CJ. He's been disappointing overall this season in my view albeit played out of position a lot. Clearly lacking confidence in front of goal at the moment as he's still having chances.

One point I'd make is about McNulty. On Saturday he had a couple of dodgy moments with Davies and him having a communication breakdown. He was at fault for the aldershot away equaliser trying a clever header instead of putting it in row Z, and was beaten in the air for the first Halifax goal. I'm not saying drop him or anything but I've seen him beaten in the air a few times this season as his leap isn't the best. No cause for concern at the moment but I do still worry about him at times.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
One point I'd make is about McNulty. On Saturday he had a couple of dodgy moments with Davies and him having a communication breakdown. He was at fault for the aldershot away equaliser trying a clever header instead of putting it in row Z, and was beaten in the air for the first Halifax goal. I'm not saying drop him or anything but I've seen him beaten in the air a few times this season as his leap isn't the best. No cause for concern at the moment but I do still worry about him at times.
I agree he wasn't at his best but that's what you get with McNulty sometimes. Maybe his head wasn't quite clear from the game before.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mc nulty was outstanding at Aldershot and played well last Saturday against a difficult opponent in Denton. He is still winning 90% of his headers and organizing the back four very well indeed. Still one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McNulty does more right than wrong, but perhaps past his peak now. Both goals we conceded v Halifax were down to poor defending at set pieces. I did feel that in one of the communication breakdowns with Davies, that Sparky mentions, it was McNulty’s error and he should have acknowledged that rather than having a go.

Player
aldo
If they are gonna have the more attacking players we might concede a few . But if we are winning and entertained then i. Up for that .After some of the crap we have had . S.w.a

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
DMH's loan has been extended until January. That's great news and should cover us until Ben Tollitt's return, although I'd love to see them both playing in the same Rovers team.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DMH's loan has been extended until January. That's great news and should cover us until Ben Tollitt's return, although I'd love to see them both playing in the same Rovers team.
Good news. McDonagh's loan has also been extended to January.