• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Waring?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah saw that Boz. Signs on a 2 year deal. Micky said we weren't interested in him at the present time.

Will be ironic if he bangs them in for Chester whereas we've shipped Alabi out....

drwhoman

We have guys that can bang them in - they just need some decent service! As we have found, you can have all the strikers you like but if they are not getting opportunities in goal scoring positions? I am really not sure why it is all so hard. Get some wingers and tell them to put it on Cook's head! This is not the Premier League.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Two wingers in Prenton Park today and supposed to be available for Saturday. The rooms above the Venezia must be full!

One rumoured to be Larnell Cole who Micky had at Shrewsbury and sounds like decent signing potentially

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given DMH has done well for us, can't see the need for 2 more wingers unless Barnsley won't extend his loan.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we are hoping to extend his loan. It will be interesting to see who comes in.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still think DMH is very much hit and miss and not sure we can't rely on him to deliver regular service to the strikers. Another 2 wingers will hopefully bring more pace

Player
Manager
John King
Youth loans are always a gamble, so I suppose Mellon thinks if he brings two or three in, at least one of them should turn out to be useful.

Player
Manager
John King
I was reading a certain alternative Rovers site tonight and it has been suggested by someone who knows Mike Jackson personally that the recruitment strategy has been torn up since Mellon's meeting with Palios a couple of weeks ago. Allegedly Alabi and Waring were not specifically chosen by Mellon, who has now demanded the final say over signings.

Who knows if this is true, but it makes sense when you consider some of our recruitment errors in the last three years.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I still think DMH is very much hit and miss and not sure we can't rely on him to deliver regular service to the strikers. Another 2 wingers will hopefully bring more pace
I think he's been one of the better players in recent games, instrumental in the build up to CJs fluffed chance at Hartlepool for example. Tbh I would prefer it if one of those brought in was capable of playing right-sided wing-back or a creative midfielder who can tackle. There have been some games where it has been poor finishing rather than lack of chances that the problem lies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was reading a certain alternative Rovers site tonight and it has been suggested by someone who knows Mike Jackson personally that the recruitment strategy has been torn up since Mellon's meeting with Palios a couple of weeks ago. Allegedly Alabi and Waring were not specifically chosen by Mellon, who has now demanded the final say over signings.

Who knows if this is true, but it makes sense when you consider some of our recruitment errors in the last three years.

Worrying, if true, although it would explain the willingness to let Alabi and Waring go out on loan. However, without knowing more, it's hard to judge where the fault lies.

Player
Manager
John King
DMH has made a big difference because of his ability to beat a man, a quality no other player in the squad has apart than Tollitt.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Is that is true regarding recruitment, I don't know how any club can be run successfully if the manager does not get the final say on potential signings. I find that very hard to believe though.

Player
aldo
Lets just hope who eva comes in can run with pace and can cross a good ball for a change . Dylan can an is playing well . .

drwhoman

If Waring and Alabi were not MM's choice, whose were they? Not MP I am sure. I just wonder whether Mike Jackson was trying to take pressure off his friend and boss? Anyway, who knows is the answer. I just hope that whoever is brought in now has a positive impact and gets this team scoring more freely and moving up the table. I am not sure that new wingers are the complete answer. A midfielder who is both combative and creative would help but we would be very lucky to find anyone that good I suppose! A decent right back maybe although Buxton does a decent job. Iheikwe, Vaughan and Stockton have not really been replaced, like for like, while having Tollett, Wallace and Kirby out has not helped. Dawson is the waste of a wage while Rokka had done nothing given his unfortunate injury.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
When you look at it, probably a third of the squad are "freeloading" it for one reason or another.
Not a problem Imps or Cheltenham have had in last couple of seasons. We simply aren't big enough to carry such a liability.
Fleetwood and Shrews are where they are largely through the efforts of MM so you would have to think he has an eye for a player.
All very strange.
If there has been a change in transfer policy and MM is now the sole arbiter then he'll fall on his own sword if these latest, alleged signings go tits up.

joe

Agreeing with what DRWhoman says. I would also add that lady luck has not played a big part for us. I spoke recently with someone who goes to every game, home and away. It is his opinion that a bit more luck and we would have been higher. He has a point.