• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

drwhoman

Or it could be part of MM's cunning plan to scupper Dover! As always time will tell!

drwhoman

Seriously it presumably frees up money to bring another player in. I imagine Forest will be paying some of McDonagh's costs and it maybe that Dover were the only team willing to pay Alabi's wages. If we take the view that Cook and Norwood are our first choice strikers Alabi is simply competing for a bench space. MM may take the view that he needs to play and if he starts to score then he is back in January. Not too much of a leg up for Dover. I am surprised that Mangan has not gone but maybe he is too expensive for anyone interested.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this is a very strange decision as I doubt McDonagh is a better player than Alabi, and we are actually assisting Dover in their title challenge.
McDonagh will not play regularly and Alabi just isn't that good. I really don't see it as a threat at all and besides he's only there for a month, I seriously doubt he would inflict that much damage.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McDonagh will not play regularly and Alabi just isn't that good. I really don't see it as a threat at all and besides he's only there for a month, I seriously doubt he would inflict that much damage.
Alabi is there until January, so roughly 10 weeks. Every goal he scores or helps create in that time will make our prospects of going up a little harder.

drwhoman

We can only wait and see. If Cook is transferred to a League club in January because we need the money then having another guy who has been playing and possibly scoring will be necessary. This assumes Alabi gets off the bench at Dover. Do they desperately need an attacker? I have not checked.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Every goal he scores or helps create in that time will make our prospects of going up a little harder.
But he’s not very good... I think you might be looking into this too deeply. We’re best concentrating on what we can do, not Dover.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But he’s not very good... I think you might be looking into this too deeply. We’re best concentrating on what we can do, not Dover.
18 goals for Chester last season suggests he's capable at this level, even if his Rovers career hasn't started well. Are you saying McDonough is better? Or Waring? While Cook and Norwood will always be the forward line up of choice for me and Mangan is a good player to have on the bench, his departure leaves us with less options up front. Allowing him to go to a promotion rival feels like we're giving them a leg up. Why should we be giving a promotion rival any help at all?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Alabi's record suggest he is better than mc donagh or waring. What is the point of signing a player on a two year deal and then shipping him straight out on loan and replacing him with a player who is not as good ? Whether alabi is as good as cook is beside the point. He is our player and he should be given opportunities as back up to cook and norwood in my view.

Player
Manager
John King
And if alabi must be sent out on loan, to give him to a promotion rival is just plain stupid. Even if he only earns dover an extra three or four points it could cost us in the end. It is just daft in principle.

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently Alabi is on loan at Dover until the end of the season, but Rovers are spinning it as a short term deal. I personally think it is all a nonsense.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Recall similar confusion with the extent of Connor Jennings’ loan to Macc last season. It turned out that the month Rovers had claimed on that occasion was correct.

If the reality is as RLC suggests, then you have to wonder about the state of our finances. Players on loan from FL clubs will normally get at least a chunk of their wages paid for by the parent club, so McDonagh and DMH won’t be costing us much. We’ve not brought anyone else in, though Dawson is back, stealing a wage.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Apparently Wallace is on a fair whack. Talking about throwing money away. We need to be getting rid of these players to free up some funds. Dawson as Boz mentions above, another waste.

Player
Manager
John King
Another strange move, as he has not been given a proper chance. We are actually looking a bit short up front now !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Again to a promotion rival, though Waring’s lack of goals makes it less of a risk. With his lack of pre-season a couple of months loaned out at a lower level might have helped.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Boz in that I'll be surprised if waring plays regularly at the Shay.

A league below would have made more sense but hopefully this will mean we can bring in another winger this week with the funds

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Does a fee still not have to be agreed for Alabi?
Perhaps we could send him back to Chester and call it quits!
I think we expected Waring to go out, and if it is for just the month then it's effectively three weeks as he'll doubtless be prevented from playing next Saturday.
Welcome back Mangs by the looks!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the fee for Alabi cannot be decided by both clubs so probably a tribunal.