• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even with Ihiekwe and McNulty fit for a whole season, we struggled against our rivals. Hopefully, MM has learned and will set up differently. I'm sure if a fast-enough, good-enough, experienced, affordable, interested defender were available, we'd have him.

As you imply, I think we'll see a lot more 3-5-2 in addition to 4-4-2 and other systems, depending on the opposition, the players available and the state of the match.

Player
aldo
At least we now have some cover at the back . Still think we need a bruising tackling midfielder who can break up play . As we were not so good at it last season. And we need goals from midfield to as they dont score enough

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Sparky's analysis above regarding the defence. While appearing to be more than capable defensively against most sides in this league, it will be interesting seeing how we set up to blunt the threat of a more pacy opponent.

While I can see the attraction of recruiting the type of midfielder AM describes, it doesn't seem Micky is looking to bring a player of that type in. Think Norburn and Harris will chip in with a few goals, as will Tollit, when he returns, but even if the goals from midfield dry up, there should be enough firepower from the forwards keep us ticking along.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
At least we now have some cover at the back . Still think we need a bruising tackling midfielder who can break up play . As we were not so good at it last season. And we need goals from midfield to as they dont score enough

Harris is the defensive midfielder & Norburn is the goalscoring midfielder

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think people are going over the top about the lack of pace at the back. There are only really two or three sides at this level with genuine pace up front, and for almost 50% of last season Ihiekwe did not feature in the side, yet our defensive record remained excellent. We went top of the league of Christmas with a centre back pairing of McNulty and Sutton.

Even if we do struggle on a couple of occasions (which I don't accept we will) we are still capable of winning enough points to get promoted. Our problems at Wembley were as much to do with a makeshift midfield which did not protect the defence, as the defence itself.

As another case in point, Fleetwood had pace to burn on Tuesday night but with a back three we coped just fine.

McEverley looks a solid signing and I doubt there will be any more arrivals.

Player
Manager
John King
Even with Ihiekwe and McNulty fit for a whole season, we struggled against our rivals. Hopefully, MM has learned and will set up differently.
There were probably a number of reasons for that. It was not solely (or even chiefly) to do with the defence.

In the Lincoln and FGR games it was missed chances that undid us, rather than defensive frailty.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There were probably a number of reasons for that. It was not solely (or even chiefly) to do with the defence.

In the Lincoln and FGR games it was missed chances that undid us, rather than defensive frailty.

At home we played FRG off the park and got caught out with a late sucker punch, I thought it was one of best performances of the season

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent signing at this level and we really should be all set for the season now.

And wow:

It was supposed to be a routine operation to pull the cheekbone out but just before that my heart decided to stop on the operating table. I didn't realise until I woke up in intensive care when I was wired into machines. When they told me it was a shock to say the least. My mum and dad were in Liverpool and my girlfriend was in the ward. They called her and she was all over the place. My mum was in hysterics and they drove down that night. I don’t know if it was a reaction to the anaesthetic but I've had five operations before and nothing has ever happened like that. I'm just happy to be here. I'm looking at life in a different light now. They've done loads of further tests on my heart and I've had the all clear. I went into training the day after and I think the lads were surprised to see me! When I returned our gaffer was calling me Lazarus!

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Looks on the face of it a really good signing and he has plenty of experience and even demanded a decent transfer fee at Derby a few years ago. Interesting to see why Ross County chose to let him go but maybe he wasn't enjoying life in Scotland. It does demonstrate the disparity between Scottish and English football, that a defender can go from Scottish Premier to English Conference.

On a side note, I just played against Kegan Parker. He's playing for Forth Wanderers who are a junior side up here in Scotland (I play for Lesmahagow Juniors). Such a wasted talent in the modern game.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
At home we played FRG off the park and got caught out with a late sucker punch, I thought it was one of best performances of the season

So right mate.
Gutted after that game which confined us to play offs
We really couldn't have done more to win.
I was never really confident we'd beat them in play offs after that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Think that is correct for the Forest Green game, which I missed. The Lincoln game, we were a defensive shambles in the opening minutes and let in an early goal. Having got back into the game and even got on top, their winner came from a misplaced McNulty pass from around the half-way line, coupled with a premature save attempt from the unprotected Davies. There were certainly a couple of chances we failed to take, but defensive frailty was probably the difference between a point and none.

It's hard to dispute that we lack pace at the back. How significant that might prove is more debatable, as there are only a few clubs equiped to take advantage.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson

#528bigmart, Today at 21:05

Totally agree with that.....we were really mugged.
Thought after that game that if we played them in finals we'd be come unstuck.
Ah well...

drwhoman

I know JM's best years are behind him but the film does not suggest that he is actually slow. He certainly appears to have a more athletic shape than Buxton or McNulty! Reminds me of an old fashioned centre half. Kenny Burns comes to mind - maybe it is the blond hair! If he is fit he could have a huge influence. Let us hope he shows more commitment in this regard than one or two people Brabin signed. Certainly Mellon has a better playing pedigree than Brabin and thus he might be shown more respect by highly experienced players. He will take no prisoners that is for sure!

Player
Manager
John King
Lincoln's opening goal resulted from a failure to clear a long throw, nothing to do with a lack of pace, which was my point. Even the second probably would not have been prevented by a quicker defender than McNulty. Prior to their second norwood, mangan and kirby had missed good chances to win the game for us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The opening minutes at Lincoln were a nightmare, defensively we were all over the show. I'd agree the first goal was down to general defensive frailty rather than lack of pace.The Lincoln winner was in part down to lack of pace, McNulty lacked the speed to get back in position after losing the ball, Sutton unable to mop up for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's fair to say if McNulty does lose the ball and he has no cover, the defence is open. Having said that it's happened a couple of times last season. Really don't think we should be harping on about it.

We had one of the best defences in the league and we certainly lost more points not putting the ball away than we did defending it.

We have to hope this season we are more clinical than we were last season.

M

Mal

Tranmere conceded less than one a game through the main season so hardly a reason to complain about last season's defence being 'slow'.. Second best defensive record. It was the poor scoring record throughout three quarters of the season that was the main concern. Hopefully there is now enough firepower to remedy that.

Player
Manager
John King
The opening minutes at Lincoln were a nightmare, defensively we were all over the show.
This is irrelevant to the point I was making though. I was discussing the supposed impact of a lack of pace at the back, not our overall defensive record (which was excellent as it happens).

Youssein Bolt would have struggled to recover from a position eighty yards up the pitch to defend his goal line. It was a sloppy pass that led to Lincoln's second goal, and defenders being wildly out of position, not a lack of pace. We lost the ball high up the pitch and they played through us.

Last edited: