• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
aldo
Looking forward to seeing tollitt back. With james alabi an the cookie monster. With norwood to if we get em all firing wat an attack

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If the definition of a striker is someone who scores goals frequently then I don't think Norwood played well last season.

He scored fifteen despite only featuring in two-thirds of the games and suffering an injury. The previous season he got nineteen.

He is not a clinical finisher like Cook but his goalscoring record is still good. The way he is discussed by some people on here you would think his scoring stats were on a par with Terry Gornell and Calvin Zola.

M

Mal

Maybe it is because he misses so many? It is true that he scored 15 but there were a few doubles which reduces the games he scores in to about one in four. Still, we do now have a good set of strikers who can cover each other's bad patches hopefully. Onward and forward , so to speak.

Player
aldo
Norrs can play on wing as well. Witch is good. Yes he dosent like being out wide but could be something to think about to get cookie an james alabi togeather. With tollitt on other wing . That gets me salivating imagine that some teams would be pooing them selves

Player
Manager
John King
Norwood misses a lot of one-on-ones but his finishing is generally pretty good.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The way he is discussed by some people on here you would think his scoring stats were on a par with Terry Gornell and Calvin Zola
Sorry that was funny even if it wasnt intended to be.

He makes a rod for his own back because of those generally easy missed chances as that's what people remember. I do agree though, he's a good goalscorer and is an excellent player to have at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't see how all our current strikers are going to get a look in without some rotation policy. I would hope that conversion rate plays more of a part than 'sports science' in team selection as it would be a big disappointment if Cook was on the fringes again.

Whether Norwood is suited to a wide role is open to debate. He did deliver some quality crosses during the course of the last season.

Player
Manager
John King
Whether Norwood is suited to a wide role is open to debate. He did deliver some quality crosses during the course of the last season.
I think it depends what you mean by a 'wide role'. As a conventional winger, definitely not. However, he is adept at playing as a winger cum forward and running the channels, as Brabin used him early last season.

However, I would still prefer to see him in a conventional front two.

Regarding the strikers generally, I am sure there will be rotation as there has not really been a standout performer in pre-season. They are all looking good.

Player
Manager
John King
I would hope that conversion rate plays more of a part than 'sports science' in team selection as it would be a big disappointment if Cook was on the fringes again.
If you had gone to the friendly last night you would have heard the manager giving strong vocal encouragement to Cook when he was on the pitch. No sign of any problem between them at all.

I have stood or sat behind Mellon at all the friendlies so far and his constant coaching and encouraging from the sidelines is a pleasant contrast with Brabin's hang-dog, hands-in-pockets approach.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree regarding the contrast in management styles between Mellon and Brabin. Although we had a lot more debatable sendings off after Micky took over, so maybe Brabin's constant berating of officials did bring some reward ;)

frenchrover

Player
aldo
McEveley signs on, on a qne year contract...subjedt to international clearance.....should be just what we need to stiffen up the defence.

M

Mal

McEveley signs on, on a qne year contract...subjedt to international clearance.....should be just what we need to stiffen up the defence.

International clearance? A Liverpool born player who happened to to play in Scotland?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good news. His best playing days may be behind him, but he could do a great job for us by offering stiff competition and back-up for Big Mac and Liam.

I doubt we'll see any more defenders signed soon, so if we ever play wing backs, I'd expect Adam Buxton or maybe Mitch Duggan on the right. Bucko's goal against Fleetwood should persuade the doubters that he can move effectively up and down the wing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
International clearance? A Liverpool born player who happened to to play in Scotland?
Jay McEveley is a former Scotland international, but that's not relevant. All transfers between different FIFA members are subject to international clearance. I assume that would have even applied to our signing of Jay Harris from Wrexham.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good player to have as defensive cover. He's 32, a bit injury prone, so there have to be some reservations about his fitness. At this stage, probably a stop-gap pending further recruitment. Hopefully Gumbs will still get an opportunity to show what he can do.

M

Mal

Jay McEveley is a former Scotland international, but that's not relevant. All transfers between different FIFA members are subject to international clearance. I assume that would have even applied to our signing of Jay Harris from Wrexham.
Crikey, so much for UK then!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although he can play LB or CB I suspect with Rides and Clarke available and as he's getting on a bit, McEveley may play on the left of a back 3 if we go with that system with Tollit out injured and Dunn the only realistic wide option.

Whilst I'm not losing sleep over it, given we have lost a pacey CB in Ihikwe I thought MM may have gone for someone with some speed, albeit Sutton isn't slow, but certainly isn't as quick as Ihikwe was. You do wonder how a defensive unit of Buxton, McNulty & McEveley would do against the likes of Aldershot with their pace and movement, along with the likes of Daggers, Hartlepool, Orient - all who have signed decent mobile players, as have Chester & Wrexham notably.

We can't lose sight of our excellent defensive record last season and of course hopefully Gumbs may feature more, and whilst we have lost Vaughan and Ihikwe, I still think overall we have a decent defence. However our overall record against the better sides last season wasn't great and I do think we could struggle with some teams movement looking to expose our lack of pace.

Whilst being experienced and a local lad and former captain at previous clubs, McEveley does have a record of injuries, often only playing 20-30 times a season. So not a bad squad player signing on the face of it but remains to be seen how we'll do without Ihikwe's pace contrasting Big Macs reading of the game.

To be fair to him he has played in the Premier League and played 28 games last season for Ross County who finished 7th in the SPL, so could be a potential coup.

Reactions: Boz