• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just wish someone would confirm the position with Alabi one way or the other.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that it would not be a disaster to miss out on Alabi. However, it is frustrating when a bankrolled club in the division below can outbid us, let alone Eastleigh, Fylde and Ebbsfleet in our own division.
I share your frustration but ultimately I hope we only sign players with some ambition. Players who want to win things and play at the highest level possible. So I'm not too unhappy to see the likes of Maynard and Alabi go elsewhere. Maybe a lot of non-league players just treat it as a job and go for the biggest wage.

Reactions: Boz

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We'll be left with huge amount of egg on our face if Alabi has gone elsewhere given that I understand the club have been looking for the usual sponsorship for him!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We'll be left with huge amount of egg on our face if Alabi has gone elsewhere given that I understand the club have been looking for the usual sponsorship for him!
His was listed on the Facebook player sponsorship page earlier today. Hopefully the deal has already gone through.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with BBTC over the quality and type of players we want to attract. If Alabi has gone to Salford, there is no other reason than the money and we'll be better off without.

I'm not going to fret about any player who's gone to Salford rather than Rovers this season. They won't be in a position to do us any harm as we're not in the same leagues. Of course, it would be very different, next season if Salford come up and Rovers are still here.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree, but it is still damaging for the game at this level that clubs like Salford can operate without any FFP restrictions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Deal for Alabi has gone through. Prob confirmed tomorrow. Always said he'd be an integral part of our team ;)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The longest running transfer saga of the summer is finally over! - Alabi signs a 2 year deal.

So although we have lost Cole, we have 5 strikers on the books in Cook, Norwood, Alabi, Mangan & Waring.

Surely the first 3 will be our first choice strikers and Mangan will see this. Waring may be considered for the future but I just hope this doesn't mean Cook will now be allowed to go to the likes of Notts County (although couldn't blame him I guess). If we want promotion we need to keep our best striker.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sparky, Cook said he's going nowhere. We've got an excellent array of strikers at this level and like MM says, we have great options tactically and they all offer something different.

Getting excited for the season now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sparky, don't forget Connor Jennings, whose strike rate is good and who scores quality goals, as at Wembley.

M

Mal

Sparky, Cook said he's going nowhere. We've got an excellent array of strikers at this level and like MM says, we have great options tactically and they all offer something different.

Getting excited for the season now.

Yes, here's to a Fleetwood style season....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Taking stock compared with how we finished the season, I'm more than happy with Waring and Alabi in place of Stockton, Norburn replaces Maynard and if we need someone to step into Steve Jennings' shoes then step up Mitch Duggan. So if we can get replacements for Vaughan and Ihiekwe, then we are motoring.

However, if you go back a full twelve months, our squad is considerably stronger than at the start of last season (subject to two new defenders). That gives me real confidence for the coming months. As RLC has said, we have the beat squad, and in my opinion the best manager.

Player
Manager
John King
In his interview Mellon has said he wants to play with natural width, not wing backs. As a result, I don't think Vaughan will be replaced and it is likely we will sign another winger.

I just think we need a more mobile centre back to make the squad complete.

drwhoman

Good news. While his contract has expired Chester want a fee. What is that about? Age related? Just need a defender or two now. I see that Steve Davis, the former Crewe Manager, is The new head coach at Orient.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As for Vaughan, any replacement will not be Danny Holmes who has signed for Bangor in the Welsh premier. He's had a funny career somewhat - turned down a renewed contact at L2 Newport and ended up at Fylde before they went up. Then ends up at York with another relegation on his CV, is about to sign a new deal, and changes his mind to go to Bangor. Strange.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree that a flat back 4 seems to be the way Mickey will be going. But have a concern about Buxton being too slow in that position and him and Big Mac could be exposed.

Buxton was best in a back 5, right of centre.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In his interview Mellon has said he wants to play with natural width, not wing backs. As a result, I don't think Vaughan will be replaced and it is likely we will sign another winger.

I just think we need a more mobile centre back to make the squad complete.
Playing with wingers is the most attractive formation. However, my worry is that they will be targeted and won't get much protection from NL refs. When Micky tried this in the middle of last season, he had to change plans as all our wingers ended up with long-term injuries.